Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Apr 28, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #1,351 of 2,189
Hi.
I just bought this beauty to replace my T1 first generation. The t1 sounds like the crappy apple white earbuds beside this monster.

Can someone please tell me how many burning hours are required to get all its potential? Though is already impressive. With the new Sony Ta zh1s Amp pairs spectacularly. I was thinking in the Z1 but this se1 is pretty much end game for me.

Thanks in advance,

Apr 28, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #1,352 of 2,189
If you look back at the thread I think several people have said at least 100 hours or more but like you I believe they sound phenomenal out of the gate. Interested to hear though the full potential, although I am admittedly not a big believer in the concept of burn in, at least to the extent of significant changes to the sound.

The Master1 can flex some serious muscle. It's usually not a fair fight to compare bass from an open headphone vs a closed but there is an exception here. The only other open headphone I tried that might come close to the bass impact of the Master1 is the Elear. I also think the soundstage is fairly wide but it doesn't sound thin or distant.

Apr 28, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #1,353 of 2,189
Thanks a lot.
Indeed, it sounds impressive out of the box. A huge soundstage as expected but also a lot of detail. Very punchy too. In the bath side but the treble is very controlled. Man, this thing has everything right. I don't know if this is a blasphemy but I tried the Utopia at the store and to my tonal preferences this one (se1) is the way to go.

Best,

Apr 28, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #1,354 of 2,189
BTW one last question. My amp has a XLR single balanced input. Apparently the xlr balanced cable that is sold for by Pioneer is dual. Do you know if there is something that may work to connect it with my amp using the balanced input?

Thanks

Apr 28, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #1,355 of 2,189
I am interested in the new closed version of this (which supposedly is just dropping now)

Where are people buying this open ended version? I just had a look and Amazon and B&H show it - however at $2500. Is that the correct price?

Apr 28, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #1,356 of 2,189
@Camelogue,
Any of the aftermarket cable manufactures can make you a adapter with two 3pin XLR female connectors to one 4 pin XLR male connector.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 28, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #1,360 of 2,189
The closed version is called SE-Monitor5 and just came out in Japan. It will be $1,000. I don't know if the Master1 will have a closed version. Someone started a thread on the Monitor5 in the headphone forum.

I have been following the other thread and I have googled the Monitor5. It appears that the Monitor5 is designated as the closed version of the Master1.

I am still on the fence with my second go around with the Z1R so this might be interesting to demo. I remain in need of a closed back to accompany my Utopia.

Apr 28, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #1,361 of 2,189
If the Monitor5 has similar qualities as the Master1 in terms of build and comfort, then that's a huge plus and you are more than half way there. I have to say the Master1 is so beautifully constructed, with not a creak to be heard, and the comfort is amazing. Summit Fi indeed.

Apr 28, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #1,362 of 2,189
I believe you have heard or have the Z1R? Care to speculate on the upcoming Monitor5 closed back from Pioneer in comparison?

Apr 28, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #1,363 of 2,189
Only comparison I can make is with the Z1R and the Master1 is better all across the board for me. It's a bit more comfortable, is less bulky feeling, has even stronger bass, and obviously a wider and more spacious sound given that it's open. I know some at CanJam have tried the Monitor5 but haven't seen any reviews. Maybe after this weekend's headphone show in Tokyo you'll see some comments on sound.

I sold the Z1R but not because of the Master1. It's because I had pre-ordered the MrSpeakers Aeon as a less expensive closed back, portable option. No idea how the Aeon will be but took a chance based on so many positive reviews.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #1,364 of 2,189
Thanks for the feedback. I remain on the fence with the Z1R - it is extremely musical however there is one thing which bothers me about it. If you search back in the Z1R thread you will see that another person mentioned it as well. It could be that I am very sensitive however the Z1R creates an uncomfortable sensation of pressure buildup. It makes a very tight seal and its extremely large drivers pump out quite a bit of energy which gets trapped and causes me a feeling of discomfort. If I wear my glasses with it the arms of the glasses break up the tight seal and "depressurize" things making them feel much better.

The other issue is I keep on comparing them to the Utopia - not a fair thing to do. On the flip side I need a pair of closed cans so I can listen when in the same room as my wife. I am not sure what other options I have - anything will be compared to the Utopia so it really has to be a TOTL i.e. the best closed can out there.

I am going to assume the Pioneer Master has zero isolation from outside sounds - and leaks its own sound quite a bit?
Where did you get yours from - they do not seem easy to find here in the States.

I might just return the Sony (I have one week left) and wait for some feedback on these new Pioneers. I am not sure if they are TOTL however there really do not appear to be many choices out there when it comes to closed cans.

Apr 28, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #1,365 of 2,189
PS. Interesting handle - LACUFFIA - Italian for headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back