Oppo Sonica DAC (an affordable ES9038PRO Sabre DAC)
May 8, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #365 of 520
Guys, check out my blog for discussions of jitter issues with current Sonica DAC firmware.

Fixed in beta already.

http://archimago.blogspot.com

Dude! RESPECT! My hat's off to you.

I wish I had your knowledge and skills. And I love the way your blog is written in such an easy to understand, conversational style. You've given the community lots of entertaining AND edifying content to read, there.

Thank you!

Mike

May 8, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #366 of 520
Archimago,

I've "blended" your two DFC graphs, to better illustrate the improvements made with the beta firmware upgrade you've received from Oppo:

upload_2017-5-8_9-23-45.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-8_9-21-36.png
    upload_2017-5-8_9-21-36.png
    290 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #367 of 520
May 9, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #370 of 520
I wonder if this the cause of the glare/hardness in the high frequencies I'm hearing with the SDAC.

For those interested, Oppo support provided the following link to download the beta firmware:

http://download.oppodigital.com/sonica-dac/Sonica-33-0505B/Sonica.bin

Thanks for this link! I have applied it and have no complaints! I might be imagining things, but just a few minutes into it, the details seem a little less "crystaline" - a good thing, in my opinion. The treble is a bit smoother, but the resolution is improved. A lot more listening is in order, but first my first impression is that this firmware update is a move in the right direction!

And thank you very much, Archimago, for your hard work in bringing this to Oppo's attention, for the benefit of all SDAC owners.

Instructions for those who haven't tried this yet: Copy the Sonica.bin file to the root of a USB flash drive, then insert it into the USB A port of the SDAC. The Sonica App will prompt you to install the new firmware. Wait for it to finish the install and then you'll see another prompt on the Sonica App, giving you a chance to roll back to the non-Beta version of the firmware. Just click "Ignore" in response to that second prompt, to keep the new firmware.

Mike

May 11, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #371 of 520
Thanks for this link! I have applied it and have no complaints! I might be imagining things, but just a few minutes into it, the details seem a little less "crystaline" - a good thing, in my opinion. The treble is a bit smoother, but the resolution is improved. A lot more listening is in order, but first my first impression is that this firmware update is a move in the right direction!
Mike

I agree with this assessment after doing this beta update. Smoother treble,less harsh on the top end and a slight increase in resolution.

May 11, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #372 of 520
I agree with this assessment after doing this beta update. Smoother treble,less harsh on the top end and a slight increase in resolution.

Also agree. Beta firmware sounds much better.

I find it slightly amusing that others on this forum rushed in to 'defend' the SDAC when I criticized the dac as less than perfect in the high frequency. Wonder what those individuals think now.

May 15, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #375 of 520
Does anyone know historically how long Oppo takes to ship product with new firmware?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back