Oppo PM-3 vs Beyerdynamic DT 1770
Nov 28, 2015 at 1:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

sc0y

New Head-Fier
Would someone who has heard both compare the PM-3 and DT 1770?  With Amazon's current 20% off deal the two are now only $80 apart.  I'm looking for headphones for the office and prefer a fairly neutral sound.

Nov 29, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 17
Was looking at the PM-3 too then saw the 1770 offer today and bought it. Considering ordering the Oppo's as well and testing, but the price on the 1770's was too good to pass up.

Nov 29, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #4 of 17
I went to a local store to try out the PM-3'd and they opened a brand new pair for me. At first they sounded like absolute crap and I couldn't believe anyone could think they sounded good so I showed them to the guys at the store and told them I thought something was wrong with them, but they put them on and they said they were OK. Long story short, it ended up the connection to the headphones wasn't secure which is why they sounded like crap, but before figuring that out I tried out the EL-8 (closed) and PM-2 and now can't stop thinking about the PM-2's. They sounded awesome to me and I was just listening to all of them straight out of my phone. Now I want to hear them through a decent amp/DAC.

I'm now trying to figure out if there's some way I can afford the PM-2's or if I really need to listen to music at work on that nice of headphones, but if I'm going to consider open headphones that are that expensive then it opens up a ton of other possibilities.

When I went back to the PM-3 with the jack fully connected, they sounded great compared to my other headphones, but it was a little unfair because by that time I was comparing them with the PM-2's.

When I got home the 1770s had sold out on Amazon, but I'm so conflicted I'm not sure I could have made a decision anyway.

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 17
I ended up going for the Fostex TH-x00.  It just seemed like too good of a deal to pass up and if I don't like them I can probably trade them for Oppos or something else.  Now I feel like I should get some sort of portable amp/DAC combo to do them justice.

Jan 29, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #7 of 17
Looking for a little insight. 

Does any also own both of these headphones or has done a comparison between the two? 

The reason I ask is that I ordered the DT1770's from Amazon (direct, not a 3rd party) on Black Friday and got them at quite a good price. Only issue was that they were out of them and I had to wait. Frankly, I had given up on the order ever being fulfilled so earlier this month I ordered the PM-3's as $400 was my max price. Today I received a email that the DT1770's have shipped. 

I have had the PM-3's for a few weeks and enjoy them. They replaced ATH M50's. 

Just wondering how much better, if at all, the DT-1770's are. My guess is that they are both excellent in their own right. Wondering if there are significant differences in the sound. One pair will be returned or sold. No need for two pair of headphones. 

Yes, I can open them and listen for myself - but want to see what the community thinks before I open the box. 

The headphones are used with an AKJr. Music all in FLAC. Also have a Fiio E12A amp. 

Going to cross post this in the Oppo PM-3 thread. 

Thanks!

Jan 29, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #8 of 17
Funny. I ended up also picking up the PM-3s and liked them so much I sold the TH-x00s. When I ordered the PM-3s I was planning on keeping both, but I really like the crispness of the planar sound and they just sound more detailed to me. The PM-3 sound signature is more how I'd lean anyway since I don't generally need a ton of bass to enjoy what I listen to mostly.

I can't speak to the DT 1770s though so I'm no help there.

Feb 1, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #9 of 17
Funny. I ended up also picking up the PM-3s and liked them so much I sold the TH-x00s. When I ordered the PM-3s I was planning on keeping both, but I really like the crispness of the planar sound and they just sound more detailed to me. The PM-3 sound signature is more how I'd lean anyway since I don't generally need a ton of bass to enjoy what I listen to mostly.

I can't speak to the DT 1770s though so I'm no help there.

Just got the DT1770's and did a quick listen on both. Frankly, it's like choosing between two luxury cars. The both reproduce sound so well. The DT1770's seem to be more spacial - I assume this is what it means by a larger soundstage. The PM-3 seem to be a little more condensed. They are smaller and easily more portable.

Normally there is a $200 price difference. But I was able to get the DT1770's for about $400 with the Amazon Black Friday sale. So price is a wash. Otherwise the Oppo's would be the chouice as $400 was my max. 

Going to take a few days to decide. Either return the Oppo's or sell the Beyerdynamics, Tough call. Certainly a first world problem!

Mar 2, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #11 of 17
  Hi,

Did you finally choose between the 2 ?
After several days, can you give more impressions about the differences between the 2 ?

Thanks a lot :wink:

First, I am no expert. So please take my impressions in the right context. 

The biggest difference was the wider soundstage on the DT1770's. The instruments were really separated well. With the PM-3's, I felt like the music was right on top of me. That said, they both sounded great. If I hadn't been able to pick up the DT 1770's at the same price as the PM-3's (Amazon BF sale), I would happyly own the Oppo's. 

Mar 25, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #12 of 17
Could Someone tell me which one isolate best from outside noise ? Thanks

Mar 28, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #14 of 17
Apr 6, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #15 of 17
I'm reviving this thread as some time has passed and probably more people have had a chance to hear both of these by now.

I'm looking for a closed-back headphone for: portable use,  recording/mixing, and pleasure listening at home as well.

The smaller size of the PM3 is appealing, but sweatiness of the pads is a concern for me (I'm inclined to sweat, especially when exerting, as during recording).  The genuine leather pads of LCD-2s is my least favorite part of that headphone (along with bulkiness and weight).  The synthetic leather of the PM3 could be bad for me, especially in summer.

The DT1770 reviews sound very appealing.  The size is a minus for portable use...and they're more expensive than the PM3 of course.

Thanks for any and all feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back