Oppo PM-3 vs Beyerdynamic DT 1770
May 26, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #17 of 17
I have been auditioning both for 2 days now. The decision is agonizing and I have to keep reminding myself that this is problem of luxury. I got both for 4 bills each so price is not an issue though it is a factor. The fact that I feel I got the 1770's for such a steal certainly makes me want to keep them.

In short, go for the BD if you only have one pair of good cans. They do sound better and are more comfy. But if you are looking for something more than than sound quality, it is not so easy a choice.

I am leaning towards the Oppo because I already have a pair of HE-6 and though it's like wearing a tank on my head, it's hard to beat the SQ. So I was looking for an EDC headphone equivalent. Something more portable that I can wear everyday all the time. I have a pair of RHA Ti20s ( getting the picture about me?... yet I still only have my 2 ears) and they are out of this world, far surpassing their price tag. I am amazed at what $300 dollars gets you these days in terms of sound, but I am not a "have something up in my ear canal" kind of guy. So those are strictly for when I go out. I have ATH M-50s but they are usually attached to the amp on my drum set. They are great for 150 bucks and so both of these must sound significantly better to justify the price. And they do that easily. As much as I love my Audio Technicas, both of these kick their can so to speak.

I find people often attribute the "airiness" or soundstage of a headphone to its size, I find it is more in line with the amount of sound isolation. There previous poster was spot on about the soundstage. SThe BD have a somewhat larger soundstage, it is direct proportion to its lesser ability to isolate. The difference is NOT insignificant, in both areas. Again, I have the HE-6 for when I need the openness.

The 1770 are more comfy and have changeable ear pads, but the PM3 are not uncomfortable. They are much smaller and agile, the cord is a straight mini plug which makes it easy to replace and upgrade as opposed to the XLR. And they are dead sexy looking. I wish I could have velour ear-cups as I live in a warm climate. It may be possible to mod that.

An important factor is that they both sound amazing and I do not feel like I am missing out on anything when I am listening to either one. The shortcomings are only those of comparison.

I am leaning towards the Oppo but here is what makes it hard for me to return the Beyers:
1. I got such a great deal.
2. The made in Germany/Austria cache is hard for me to part with. I am already selling my Austrian AKG 701Qs for these, and as silly as it sounds, the Germanic mystique is hard to give up.
3. The Oppo are a tad claustrophobic and get sweaty. I love the air around my ears with the BD, it one of my favorite things about the AKGs.
4. They really sound great.

PM3 pros:
1. I am loving the portability of the PM-3. They are half the size of the 1770s
2. They are not uncomfortable to wear for hours at a time. The provide good isolation and agility, I never feel like they might fling off when I quickly turn my head.
3. They take less juice so more amp options and run-time. In a pinch, my phone can drive them, not so with the 1770.
4. They are a significant upgrade to the ATH M-50.
5. I have a thing for Planar Magnetics. Its like the Made in Germany thing, I may not hear it, but it matters psychologically. At least i admit I like my snake oil.

Man, its like choosing between Betty and Veronica, or Ginger and Maryanne. I hope this helps you. But really, you cannot go wrong with either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back