Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Apr 17, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #5,132 of 6,302
I think so. Do you have it on high gain? And, what do you think of it so far? I did listen to the X5iii for a little bit and thought it sounded great.

Yes it is on high gain, I just would like additional bass on streaming apps(Spotify, Tidal).  Sound does still sound great, just want the best possible sound I can get 
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #5,133 of 6,302
Yes it is on high gain, I just would like additional bass on streaming apps(Spotify, Tidal).  Sound does still sound great, just want the best possible sound I can get :D

I hear yeah. I use my Onkyo DP-X1 with the PM3s but will be picking up the Oppo HA2 SE to go with it. I have the Mojo to but I dont like the synergy between the PM3 and Mojo.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #5,135 of 6,302
Ok, I made my selection. The PM-3 it is. I have it about a week now, and it is still in the break-in phase. Fresh out the box the PM-3 sounded quite closed in and grainy. But it has opened up quite nicely now. I really love it. Thanks again Koolpep for your advice. I hope there will be a UAE mini-meet in the not to distant future. 

Oh absolutely, and with a bit of luck we can listen to @lukeap69 yggradsil and some bloody amazing I can't remember the name off amp....

Anyhow, just came back from the Burj Al Arab beach where I saw Katharine Jenkins perform live - mind blown. She is so talented. Wow.

Anyhow, the mini meet will happen for sure, summer is coming and so is "too hot to do anything outside"-time in Dubai, so stay tuned. For non Dubaians - summer here means up to 122 Fahrenheit - in the shade, plus humidity. :)

Cool. Can't wait!

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #5,136 of 6,302
Yes it is on high gain, I just would like additional bass on streaming apps(Spotify, Tidal).  Sound does still sound great, just want the best possible sound I can get :D

I hear yeah. I use my Onkyo DP-X1 with the PM3s but will be picking up the Oppo HA2 SE to go with it. I have the Mojo to but I dont like the synergy between the PM3 and Mojo.

You don't like the synergy between the Mojo and the PM-3? Can you elaborate a bit, as the Mojo is exactly what I have on my wishlist? Does this combination sound not powerful enough? Or is it the sound signature you don't like?

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #5,137 of 6,302
Oh absolutely, and with a bit of luck we can listen to @lukeap69 yggradsil and some bloody amazing I can't remember the name off amp....

Anyhow, just came back from the Burj Al Arab beach where I saw Katharine Jenkins perform live - mind blown. She is so talented. Wow.

Anyhow, the mini meet will happen for sure, summer is coming and so is "too hot to do anything outside"-time in Dubai, so stay tuned. For non Dubaians - summer here means up to 122 Fahrenheit - in the shade, plus humidity. :)

I don't have an Yggy, that's @Jozurr. :grinning: I have Holo Spring L3 and Denafrips ARES though.

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #5,138 of 6,302
  Yes it is on high gain, I just would like additional bass on streaming apps(Spotify, Tidal).  Sound does still sound great, just want the best possible sound I can get 
biggrin.gif

If you want bass boost for streaming apps then yes get the a5 stacked.  Only flaw i found with the x5iii is no bass boost switch.  i would have given up the balanced output for a bass switch.

if you use tidal, you can eq with uapp.  But I think uapp was having problems with the x5iii, don't know if they fixed it yet.
You don't like the synergy between the Mojo and the PM-3? Can you elaborate a bit, as the Mojo is exactly what I have on my wishlist? Does this combination sound not powerful enough? Or is it the sound signature you don't like?

The pm-3 has a dark sound sig.  Any dac or amp that has a dark sound sig will make it darker, which the mojo does.

a good pairing for the pm-3 would be something that is brighter or more analytical.  Thats why the ha-2 or idsd silver is a good pairing for it.

Apr 18, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #5,139 of 6,302

The pm-3 has a dark sound sig.  Any dac or amp that has a dark sound sig will make it darker, which the mojo does.

a good pairing for the pm-3 would be something that is brighter or more analytical.  Thats why the ha-2 or idsd silver is a good pairing for it.

Thanks, very clear.

Apr 19, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #5,141 of 6,302
Thanks, very clear.

Chillaxing said it perfectly.

Edit:
I will add that Mojo is an awesome and great sounding device that I will keep forever.

It will remain on my wishlist :wink:

I find the sound signature of my PM-3 not dark anyway, with a replacement cable. I think the stock cable doesn't help very much. But.......that's just my opinion. No discussions between cable believers and nonbelievers please :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #5,142 of 6,302
It will remain on my wishlist :wink:

I find the sound signature of my PM-3 not dark anyway, with a replacement cable. I think the stock cable doesn't help very much. But.......that's just my opinion. No discussions between cable believers and nonbelievers please :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I have a 8 strand Forza cable on mine and think its a great addition.

Apr 19, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #5,143 of 6,302
I have a 8 strand Forza cable on mine and think its a great addition.

I had to google this brand. I have to say, since I am new to headphones, I am not aware of most of the cable options. It seems that most "traditional" cable brands have been ignoring the headphone cable market, so several new startups have appeared that are specialized in cables for headphones. Based on my (limited) search, I have bought the Moon Audio Silver Dragon. A way too expensive cable for the PM-3, but the characteristics of this cable should match well with those of the PM-3. And so far, I am happy with the combination. Nevertheless, I would normally not recommend anyone to spend that much on a cable for a $400 headphone. Anyway, despite the pain in my wallet I am a happy listener now.

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #5,144 of 6,302
I don't know that I'd ever call the PM-3 "dark" as the mid range is so forward in the mix. Yes, there is a slight bass boost and treble roll off but the roll off is more polite than plunging into darkness and the bass boost so minor while not going too deep into the sub-bass, and the response is quick and punchy as opposed to warm and dark. I tend to think of dark headphones as a specific kind of bassy sound. I dunno, that's just me.

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #5,145 of 6,302
I don't know that I'd ever call the PM-3 "dark" as the mid range is so forward in the mix. Yes, there is a slight bass boost and treble roll off but the roll off is more polite than plunging into darkness and the bass boost so minor while not going too deep into the sub-bass, and the response is quick and punchy as opposed to warm and dark. I tend to think of dark headphones as a specific kind of bassy sound. I dunno, that's just me.

I dont think the PM3S are dark either but when a warm sig from the PM3 is with the warm sig of the mojo its just to warm for my taste. I like my Mojo with my Dunu 2Kj! Great pairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back