"Open Alpha" T50 3D printed headphone project from MrSpeakers
Apr 16, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #380 of 979
They often sound like the vocals are behind the instruments. I suspect it's a lack of upper mids.

Are you using all of the Open Alphas? Are your drivers from a MK2 or a MK3? Same driver, but the stock mods (the back fabric-style covering) is different. The MK2 driver's "mods" are darker sounding than the MK3 one. I haven't really messed with the MK3 one much out of leaving it stock and adding foam to the back of the driver (I'm a fan of the ZMF sound). What's your source? Right now I feel that the T*0RP drivers have been "pairing" well with my interim DAC (Sabre 9018). Shuffling gear around to buy a NOS DAC soon...

Apr 16, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #381 of 979
I'm not using the open alphas yet. I just haven't been too happy with my mk3 mods. I've been trying mods similar the the bmf and Mayflower methods. Like I said before my goal is to bring out the vocals (mostly male). I'm thinking the open alphas would be my next step.

By the way, what kind kind of foam are you using on the back of the driver?

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #382 of 979
Links all good now. Thanks, they came in very handy

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #383 of 979
  Here is an image of the build tray that is running currently. It is going to take 36 hours.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-5nIwhhgjzHQ/WKdq-xzMTzI/AAAAAAABgcA/djM2l9cm0yARzEMJ7ktRWT6gxuZSG0WkACLcB/w327-h252-no/AlphaDogs.png

Anyone know how to be able to add photos here rather than having to have links to them?

would you be willing to post the files for this?

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #384 of 979
Does anyone have files that they'd be willing to post that include supports for the flat/overhanging areas?  I just ran some test prints in ABS yesterday, and mine were pretty droopy.  I don't really have any experience with CAD or I'd make my own.  Thanks!

Apr 24, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #385 of 979
  Does anyone have files that they'd be willing to post that include supports for the flat/overhanging areas?  I just ran some test prints in ABS yesterday, and mine were pretty droopy.  I don't really have any experience with CAD or I'd make my own.  Thanks!

You need to turn on supports in your slicer software. It will autogenerate supports where necessary. I used the stock settings of 4mm, 20% infill, 45degree overhand and they turned out really good. 

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #388 of 979
Finished my pair today and am so happy with the results.

The connectors are 3.5mm as I already had a couple of 3.5mm home made cables laying around. The connectors are a couple of inline Rean jacks as mentioned earlier in the thread.
The paint is automotive candy red with a whole lot of clear coat layers to bring the shine out. Unfortunately i didn't completely smooth out the cups 100% as I assumed the primer and paint would fill in most of the irregularities. There are a couple of visible striations but It is only noticeable of you are looking for it at the right angles.  
I'm really happy with my headband design. It is made up of leather wrapped around the rubber headband and attached with shoe or contact adhesive. A cheap replacement synthetic leather headband from a Logitech headset is stuck on the bottom with double sided tape. Is it probably the most comfortable headphone i own now and looks better than most of the other headband options in my opinion.

Sound-wise they are really good, but still require a small bit of tweaking. I've followed MrSpeakers guide and pictures and am finding the mids a tiny bit recessed and the upper mids a little bit hot.
I feel that this occurs on any headphone when using Alpha Pads. As per the instructions I've added a airtight, bit of foam on the back of the driver, which has toned it down a little, but still required a bit more tweaking.
Does anyone else have a tune they are happy with using alpha pads?

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #389 of 979
  Ffinished my pair today and am so happy with the results.

The connectors are 3.5mm as I already had a couple of 3.5mm home made cables laying around. The connectors are a couple of inline Rean jacks as mentioned earlier in the thread.
The paint is automotive candy red with a whole lot of clear coat layers to bring the shine out. Unfortunately i didn't completely smooth out the cups 100% as I assumed the primer and paint would fill in most of the irregularities. There are a couple of visible striations but It is only noticeable of you are looking for it at the right angles.  
I'm really happy with my headband design. It is made up of leather wrapped around the rubber headband and attached with shoe or contact adhesive. A cheap replacement synthetic leather headband from a Logitech headset is stuck on the bottom with double sided tape. Is it probably the most comfortable headphone i own now and looks better than most of the other headband options in my opinion.

Sound-wise they are really good, but still require a small bit of tweaking. I've followed MrSpeakers guide and pictures and am finding the mids a tiny bit recessed and the upper mids a little bit hot.
I feel that this occurs on any headphone when using Alpha Pads. As per the instructions I've added a airtight, bit of foam on the back of the driver, which has toned it down a little, but still required a bit more tweaking.
Does anyone else have a tune they are happy with using alpha pads?

It looks awesome! I'm still waiting on building mine since I'm not that great with painting. :frowning2: wish I could get someone to do a paint job on them for me.

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #390 of 979
  I was using octoprint, which I believe itself uses a modified version of cura.  However, I didn't see any options for supports, its' slicer is pretty bare-bones.

i use octoprint also (its the schitt)

but i slice the files first in cura on the pc

then save it as gcode and upload to cura

that way you get the full settings, you can upload a cura profile

to octoprint but i've never been able to get it to work very well

pm me and i'll send you a profile with the correct support structure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back