Onkyo A800 and H900M full-size headphones - shipping March 2016
Jan 7, 2016 at 8:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 401

halcyon

Headphoneus Supremus
Onkyo is coming out with two full-size headphones in addition to their new IEMs (E900M and W800BT). Shipping in march 2016.

Onkyo A800 open headphones

1. Ø50mm High Power driver with multi-layer diaphragm
  2. 4Hz-40kHz frequency range
  3. 100dB sensitivity
  4. 32Ω impedance
  5. Acoustically Open architecture system
  6. low impedance 3m detachable OFC twisted cable
  7. Soft cushions provide a comfortable, ergonomic fit
  8. Available in black finishes
  9. Shipping March 2016 (EU/US)
  10. MSRP: €399/$399

H900M full-size over-ear closed headphones

1. Ø50mm High Power driver with multi-layer diaphragm
  2. 5Hz-40kHz frequency range
  3. 105dB sensitivity
  4. 16Ω impedance
  5. Acoustically closed architecture
  6. In-line remote with built-in microphone
  7. low impedance 1.2m detachable OFC twisted cable
  8. Soft cushions with excellent comfort and noise isolation
  9. Available in black finishes
  10. March 2016
  11. MSRP: €299/$299

Press blurb at:
http://www.gibsoninnovations.com/en/news/full-onkyo-speaker-and-headphone-range-being-shown-for-the-first-time

Anybody got a chance to demo them at CES?

Jan 7, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #3 of 401
Gold usually comes into vogue as we go into recessions or depressions. It's a sign of bling for the hipsters/hiphoppers and a sign of prestige for wanna-be-rich.

Personally I dislike it, but hey, people are buying, so who am I to judge them.

Jul 12, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #7 of 401
I should have an A800 next week and a few weeks following that I will be reviewing it here. I was able to review the new ONKYO Bluetooth the H500BT.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/onkyo-sealed-wireless-headphone-bluetooth-enabled-nfc-support-remote-control-with-microphone-h500btb-black/reviews/16356

Based on the very favourable sound signature of the H500BT I'm quite optimistic that the A800 will be also excellent. Time will tell.

Jul 14, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #8 of 401
  I should have an A800 next week and a few weeks following that I will be reviewing it here. I was able to review the new ONKYO Bluetooth the H500BT.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/onkyo-sealed-wireless-headphone-bluetooth-enabled-nfc-support-remote-control-with-microphone-h500btb-black/reviews/16356

Based on the very favourable sound signature of the H500BT I'm quite optimistic that the A800 will be also excellent. Time will tell.

Please let us know what do you think. As the only information until recently still came only from the official press release, I even thought that Onkyo gave up on this project.

Jul 14, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #9 of 401

Please let us know what do you think. As the only information until recently still came only from the official press release, I even thought that Onkyo gave up on this project.

For sure, it should arrive soon.

Jul 14, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #10 of 401
@Klonatans Listening to the A800 as I type. Using the iDSD Micro. I like what I hear. Certainly a detailed headphone, but I literally have just started listening for about 40 minutes in total. I love the styling and it is quite comfortable. The detachable cable at this price point is a nice feature. ONKYO certainly wants to re-invigorate it's image in the personal audio sector which of course makes sense. I remember seeing the first images of this headphone lineup when it was announced and the images really appealed to me and having the headphone in hand I'm not disappointed, to me it looks and feels beautiful. Not to heavy, but it feels well made. I may snap some pictures later.

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #11 of 401
Solid bass for an open back. Not full-on bass-head, but certainly not bass light.

Edit: I am quite impressed with the bass the A800 is capable of, very fast, tight and with impact. Rather a clean bottom end.

Jul 15, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #12 of 401

Just a few quick pictures. I didn't get the best shots so for my review I hope to improve on these. We have a green plastic awning cover that shades the window so it tends to put a green cast to everything. Anyway, these give a little feel for the A800, more to follow.

Jul 16, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #14 of 401
I will be doing a proper review in about a week, but here are my quick impressions. As mentioned previously, the bass is excellent, very fast, good quality and a good amount of quantity, rather solid actually. The A800 is a very detailed headphone so it will reveal everything good and bad in the recording. I tend to like slightly warmish signatures these days, not full on HD 650 warm (at least the older versions), just a hint of warmth, especially in the upper midrange and lower/mid treble regions. For my taste the stock signature is slightly bright, but with only three minor EQ cuts I was able to really tweak it over toward my preference. I cut --3db from 1000hz, and -1.5db from both 5000 and 7000hz.

The midrange is excellent, but I find it takes me a little longer to really get a feel for midrange as I tend to focus on bass and treble quite a bit (not intentionally mind you). Right now I'm just getting acclimated to the A800 so these impressions are of course a little rough around the edges, but there is no doubt the A800 is a very nice headphone. It has going by memory some of what I liked about the DT 880, but with more mid and upper bass and in general equal clarity.

The sound stage has me still a little confused in that it doesn't seem quite as wide, but I haven't deliberately tested that so that could simply be the material I have played being more center focused. I personally find sound stage to be highly recording dependent. The instrument separation is excellent, really very well done. I really like the look and feel of this headphone, it has almost an Art Deco feel about it and I just find the design striking. The A800 is very comfortable to wear and it seals well. I like the fairly large opening and pads as I believe some of the auxiliary sound information we get (the size and scale of sound cues) comes through the physical parts of the headphone contacting the bone structure around the ear.

Anyway, for sure the A800 is a contender in the category and when I am done I will post a link to the review in this thread. I may even grab the closed version and see where they differ, but I assume it will be fairly predictable in the sense of closed versus open. Cheers.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back