On a mission to like jazz
May 2, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #2,311 of 5,031
(the last one is from the new album)

Microscopic Septet, one of my favorite bands from the 80's and 90's, disbanded (one of the principals moved to Australia), now they reunite twice a year or so. Saw them last night in Smalls, NYC, great show! (Have a fine new album being released of them playing blues-based material, have it on Kickstarter order).
(Seven Men in Neckties is a great retrospective of their albums)

Microscopic Septet is just wonderful! I have 'Manhattan Moonrise' and 'Surrealistic Swing' in my collection. Great stuff!

Microscopic_Septet-Manhattan_Moonrise-cover.jpg Surrealistic swing.jpeg

May 2, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #2,312 of 5,031
In Switzerland, all radio stations celebrate the 100 year anniversary of jazz: on February 26th, 1917, a band called 'Original Dixieland Jass Band' (no typo!) consisting of five young musicians recorded two songs 'Livery Stable Blues' and 'Original Dixieland One Step' at the RCA-Studio in New York!

And hundred years ago, Ella Fitzgerald, Dizzy Gillespie, and Thelonious Monk were born! What a historical year!

Source: https://www.srf.ch/kultur/musik/ein-musikalisches-maerchen-happy-birthday-jazz

May 7, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #2,315 of 5,031
Sounds cool!

May 17, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #2,319 of 5,031
A bit of Rolling Stones appearing in Jazz. I didn't know that Charlie Watts is so much into jazz.

CW_DRBB.jpeg

May 18, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #2,322 of 5,031
I'd appreciate any comments about that Charlie Watts album.

I quite liked the cd, except the Stones numbers. They are played with too much sugar icing! But the other pieces are entertaining and good to listen to after a hard day's work. I am surprised what a smooth drummer Charlie Watts can be.

May 19, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #2,325 of 5,031
I've been on my own Jazz journey as of late. The reason I joined Head-Fi was to find some decent headphones for appreciating Jazz.

My happy-place as of late has been Chet Baker & Bill Evans - The Complete Legendary Sessions

Perfect for relaxing. I read to it. A lot.

Been searching high and low for a high quality recording of it, so if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to know. It's one album I'm actually willing to spend $$ on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back