Objectivists board room
Jun 19, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #3,706 of 4,545
1. Yep, that's what I'm saying. The only thing I'm adding to that statement is that we can objectively determine dissonance (or non-euphonic distortion) but not whether it's ultimately enjoyable in any context, that would require a subjective determination.

2. Isn't that question it's own answer? Because they don't know or understand what "it" is, they have to invent a silly name in order to discuss it. The better solution IMHO, would be to gain some understanding and as far as I can tell, that's the difference between objectivists and subjectivists: Subjectivists have a lot more silly names to cope with the fact they have a lot less understanding and it's actually nothing to do with subjectivity or objectivity, or am I missing something?

G
I'd say that there is a difference between a subjectivist expressing their legitimate preferences and an audiophile making up stories about things no one can hear or that might not be possible.

Jun 19, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #3,707 of 4,545
Every human being is subjective... except for Mr Spock. I never liked Mr Spock, and I sure didn't want to behave like he did.

I see audiophiles who claim to be objective arguing about things that human ears can't perceive all the time. I think it's like a trivia contest. But trivia doesn't make your home stereo sound better... fundamental principles applied properly do. Everyone knows the fundamentals, but they choose to worry about the gnat hair differences because they're more impressive sounding in internet forums,

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #3,708 of 4,545
Every human being is subjective... except for Mr Spock. I never liked Mr Spock, and I sure didn't want to behave like he did.
Spock wasn't/isn't human.
I see audiophiles who claim to be objective arguing about things that human ears can't perceive all the time. I think it's like a trivia contest. But trivia doesn't make your home stereo sound better... fundamental principles applied properly do. Everyone knows the fundamentals, but they choose to worry about the gnat hair differences because they're more impressive sounding in internet forums,
People use Objective and Subjective incorrectly sometimes. Objective means quantifiable and measureable, without the influence of human factors like emotions, unrelated sensory input (like how a piece of audio gear looks), etc. Objective is measurable. Subjective depends on human impression and observation using sensory input. An opinion is the result.

ABX testing is therefore subjective testing as it depends on human observation, opinion and decision. What the DBT/ABX methodology attempts to do is control bias by limiting the thing being evaluated to a narrow set of stimuli, usually two, to determine a detectable difference.

The challenge has always been to correlate objective measurements with subjective observations. The difficulty until recently is that measurements are usually simplified into single figures of merit which then do represent the actual measurement well. THD is a single figure, but the correct data is really a 3D graph of amplitude vs frequency vs stimulus level, and to that should be applied an audibility mask that includes psychoacoustic perception of distortion in the presence of stimuli. That has yet to be done.

Jun 19, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #3,710 of 4,545
ABX testing is therefore subjective testing as it depends on human observation, opinion and decision. What the DBT/ABX methodology attempts to do is control bias by limiting the thing being evaluated to a narrow set of stimuli, usually two, to determine a detectable difference.

Wouldn't testing used to determine JDD perception thresholds be objective? Whether you can hear something or not seems to be not based on opinion. You either hear it or you don't. The problem is that a lot of things that can be measured can't be heard. They may be interesting in theory. But when it comes to listening to music on your home stereo, if you can't hear it, it doesn't mean jack diddly.

He was half human, though I don't know which half.

It was the lower half, but they couldn't show that on TV.

Jun 19, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #3,711 of 4,545
Wouldn't testing used to determine JDD perception thresholds be objective? Whether you can hear something or not seems to be not based on opinion. You either hear it or you don't. The problem is that a lot of things that can be measured can't be heard. They may be interesting in theory. But when it comes to listening to music on your home stereo, if you can't hear it, it doesn't mean jack diddly.
But you can't measure the fact that it can or can't be heard, you must ask some if they could hear it, and that makes its subjective.

Jun 19, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #3,712 of 4,545
Then I totally see how being completely objective can lead a person to abstract and irrelevant lines of thinking that are just as absurd as the sorts of mistakes totally subjective people make. I guess like many things, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Jun 20, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #3,713 of 4,545
about Spock, call it intuition, but I get this feeling that his ears might not be the most human part on his body. ^_^

as for that damn human element in hearing tests, I say statistics my brothers! statistics will save our souls and up our confidence levels.

Jun 20, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #3,714 of 4,545
People use Objective and Subjective incorrectly sometimes. Objective means quantifiable and measureable, without the influence of human factors like emotions, unrelated sensory input (like how a piece of audio gear looks), etc. Objective is measurable. Subjective depends on human impression and observation using sensory input. An opinion is the result.

Personally, although you are strictly correct and I agree with you, I also think we can be a little more flexible. There are grey areas, for example: Loudness, does the fact that we can measure loudness make it objective, isn't the LKFS/LUFS scale objective? Was loudness strictly subjective for the entirety of human existence until about 10 years ago when it suddenly became objective? Maybe strictly speaking loudness metering is an objective measurement of a subjective perception? What about notes/pitch? Most people assume notes are real and we've been able to measure the pitch of notes for decades, even to the point of having tuning machines which are more accurate than the human ear and are routinely employed by many musicians. On the other hand, notes don't really exist; we can remove the fundamental of a note and still recognise it but a tuning machine no longer can. Does that mean that the pitch of a note is objective but the exact same note with the fundamental removed is subjective? What about drums? Most/Many drums have to be tuned by ear as tuning machines cannot reliably identify the fundamental. Is the pitch of a note objective if played on a piano but the same note played on a drum is subjective? What about stereo? We can precisely measure the position of an individual sound in the stereo sound field using a "pan" control, which is effectively just a measurement of relative gain between the left/right output channels, so that's definitely objective but that sound, incorporated and processed within a typical mix, can no longer have it's position measured. Even though it's position in the stereo image has not changed, is it's position now subjective rather than objective?

On the other hand, playing devil's advocate, if we consider ubiquitous perceptions to be objective or potentially objective, we're going to run into serious logical problems. How do we measure or describe as objective the "Faa" in the McGurk Effect for example? Any thoughts?

G

Jun 20, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #3,715 of 4,545
about Spock, call it intuition, but I get this feeling that his ears might not be the most human part on his body. ^_^
His very special ear geometry and unavailability of parametric equalizers is why he invented tube rolling:
9961508_thumb.jpg

Jun 20, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #3,716 of 4,545
Personally, although you are strictly correct and I agree with you, I also think we can be a little more flexible. There are grey areas, for example: Loudness, does the fact that we can measure loudness make it objective, isn't the LKFS/LUFS scale objective? Was loudness strictly subjective for the entirety of human existence until about 10 years ago when it suddenly became objective? Maybe strictly speaking loudness metering is an objective measurement of a subjective perception? What about notes/pitch? Most people assume notes are real and we've been able to measure the pitch of notes for decades, even to the point of having tuning machines which are more accurate than the human ear and are routinely employed by many musicians. On the other hand, notes don't really exist; we can remove the fundamental of a note and still recognise it but a tuning machine no longer can. Does that mean that the pitch of a note is objective but the exact same note with the fundamental removed is subjective? What about drums? Most/Many drums have to be tuned by ear as tuning machines cannot reliably identify the fundamental. Is the pitch of a note objective if played on a piano but the same note played on a drum is subjective? What about stereo? We can precisely measure the position of an individual sound in the stereo sound field using a "pan" control, which is effectively just a measurement of relative gain between the left/right output channels, so that's definitely objective but that sound, incorporated and processed within a typical mix, can no longer have it's position measured. Even though it's position in the stereo image has not changed, is it's position now subjective rather than objective?

On the other hand, playing devil's advocate, if we consider ubiquitous perceptions to be objective or potentially objective, we're going to run into serious logical problems. How do we measure or describe as objective the "Faa" in the McGurk Effect for example? Any thoughts?

G
the method is objective but applied on subjects. it's just a matter of keeping the test and the testies as separate entities. our issue in audio is that some decide they will be the subject, the test, and the measurement rig all at once. but even worst, they don't see what could possibly be wrong with it. that's why I spent so many years thinking that subjectivist was a fancy synonym of ignorant. then I learned how many people thought that objectivist was a synonym for "skinjob"(Blade Runner, or Battlestar Galactica, the reference you fancy most). a droid that measures test signals and observes graphs but lacks the physical ability to "just listen" to music and feel emotions properly. that certainly got me very confused as I wasn't aware of a cylon invasion. worst, like the Asian chick crew member in Battlestar Galactica, I wasn't aware that I was one of them. talk about a traumatic experience. but now after a reboot and the latest update, I feel much better about all this objectivst/subjectivist thing.

Jun 20, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #3,717 of 4,545
Personally, although you are strictly correct and I agree with you, I also think we can be a little more flexible. There are grey areas, for example: Loudness, does the fact that we can measure loudness make it objective, isn't the LKFS/LUFS scale objective? Was loudness strictly subjective for the entirety of human existence until about 10 years ago when it suddenly became objective?
The problem was standardization of the objective method. That took research into how humans perceive loudness. That research dates back many decades by scientists like Eberhard Zwicker whose work began in the 1950s, and who also eventually proposed an accurate loudness meter which unfortunately was too complex to be practical in its time (it involved critical band squaring and root-summing, very hard to do in the pre-DSP days).
Maybe strictly speaking loudness metering is an objective measurement of a subjective perception?
Once a method of measurement is developed that tracks human perception and becomes standardized it can be used as an objective tool because the resulting data no longer depends on human judgement. It turns out that the way humans sense loudness, light brightness, and physical pressure all relate quite closely to the same type of scaling: power scaled logarithmically. So all of those things can become objective. "Objective" doesn't imply perfectly accurate, and does not necessarily represent a perfect sensory model. All it means is the model is standardized, generally accepted, and applied without dependance on specific individual opinion, emotion, personal feeling, aesthetics, etc.

Zwicker's meter, it turns out, was very similar to BS 1770-3, though the weighting filters weren't an exact match. His problem was, it couldn't be standardized when he developed it because it wasn't practical to implement. So objective loudness measurement had to wait something like 3 decades.
What about notes/pitch? Most people assume notes are real and we've been able to measure the pitch of notes for decades, even to the point of having tuning machines which are more accurate than the human ear and are routinely employed by many musicians. On the other hand, notes don't really exist; we can remove the fundamental of a note and still recognise it but a tuning machine no longer can. Does that mean that the pitch of a note is objective but the exact same note with the fundamental removed is subjective? What about drums? Most/Many drums have to be tuned by ear as tuning machines cannot reliably identify the fundamental. Is the pitch of a note objective if played on a piano but the same note played on a drum is subjective?
I don't understand enough about human pitch perception to really comment on this, but again, once a measurement method has been developed that parallels how something is perceived, it can be standardized, and can then become objective.
What about stereo? We can precisely measure the position of an individual sound in the stereo sound field using a "pan" control, which is effectively just a measurement of relative gain between the left/right output channels, so that's definitely objective but that sound, incorporated and processed within a typical mix, can no longer have it's position measured. Even though it's position in the stereo image has not changed, is it's position now subjective rather than objective?
Data exists in literature that graphs position vs intensity differential, and position vs timing differential, when the reproducing system in taken into account (headphones vs a specific speaker layout). It's not practical to scale a pan pot, however, since the reproducing method cannot be known. No standardization can effectively exist that includes all reproducing methods, so no objective measurement is practical for a pan control. And as you know, even though it's possible today, real virtual panning including HRTF control doesn't exist in the form of a common pan pot.

G
On the other hand, you have different fingers.

I think if any of those were studied to the extent that a strong statistical trend were apparent across a significant population segment, models could be developed, standardized, and objective measurements could the be accomplished. Again, the model doesn't have to be 100% accurate with respect to perception, but it does have to be good enough to represent a large area of the populace bell curve to be accepted. Since research requires money, and money becomes available when the potential results have value, I wouldn't expect a McGurk Quantification Project, to become reality any time soon. Sometimes the awareness of a perceptual principle is enough to satiate beyond funding. I don't think we're going to see a McGurk-O-Meter plugin right away.

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #3,718 of 4,545
Man! This is better than taking a sleeping pill!

Conversations can be like a beer. You just want a drink, but once it gets shaken up, all you get is foam.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #3,720 of 4,545
I'm still stuck on the concept of a Jimi Hendrix setting. I'm not sure if it's the worst or the most glorious suggestion for a feature I've ever read.

And, since Spock came up, I have to say he's my favorite of the main three from TOS. You just have to love a guy who calmly briefs his crew that some of them will not be selected to get off the deserted planet with the rest, and that he'll get back to them all on which ones won't be making the cut. Or a guy who can smash a paper mache telecommunications screen prop with his bare fist as though it were made of paper mache. Or a guy who can resolutely cope with unspeakable pain when a face hugger precursor latches itself to his body, stating simply that the mission requires that he persevere. Or a guy who, later in the same episode, serenely informs his captain that a tricky operation went well, apart from the fact that he is now completely blind.

Wait, were we talking about headphones or something?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back