SONY NW-A30 SERIES
Jul 11, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #1,637 of 2,453
Jul 11, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #1,640 of 2,453
CCUkgjW2YCvThN3Kyxz0iomqDe40z1.jpg

Jul 11, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #1,642 of 2,453
I'm not too enthusiastic about the USB-DAC functionality in the upcoming Walkmans. The idea of lowering battery life due to DAC-use isn't compelling for a personal audio device, atleast to me it's not.

I'd rather use a dedicated DAC and save battery life on the PMP;

Jul 11, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #1,643 of 2,453
I once bought a A35 and then sold it
I will buy A45 if it has some feature support audiobooks, bookmark and postcast ...
But I don't think Sony will add those feature to their A40 series :frowning2:

You and me both. Still pi**ed off at that. With those features added the sony would have been the perfect device for me at a decent price. Now I'm back to looking at android devices, but the problem there is battery life. Some would barely make it through the day at work for me on a single charge.

Just had an idea! If anyone is reading this and going to Canjam London could they please visit the Sony stand and give them a verbal telling off for not having the audiobook support on the newer a series please? Thanks :p

Jul 11, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #1,644 of 2,453
You and me both. Still pi**ed off at that. With those features added the sony would have been the perfect device for me at a decent price. Now I'm back to looking at android devices, but the problem there is battery life. Some would barely make it through the day at work for me on a single charge.

Just had an idea! If anyone is reading this and going to Canjam London could they please visit the Sony stand and give them a verbal telling off for not having the audiobook support on the newer a series please? Thanks :p
A20 series have postcast feature, and then, on A30 they removed it and added learning language feature, why tf did they do that? Is it really that hard to add some "basic" feature to the software on their products like everyone else?
A30 has almost things I need,
Long last battery life, touch screen to select to the part I want on a very long time audiobook ...
And no bookmark .....

Jul 11, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #1,645 of 2,453
Well I guess waiting to hear about the A40 series will be worth it. Mind you the A30 series is still only available in Canada from Sony partner gentec.ca. It has also been backordered for a few weeks now. If this BS continues from Sony then we may never see the A40 series let alone wide availability of the A30 series.

Funny but I thought that the whole point of making products for consumers was to actually make it so consumers could buy them! The A35 changed to backorder status within days of it being listed for sale. So either the stock never actually came in or the demand was high enough to wipe out stock. Also for a few days Sony Canada dropped the price by $20.00 even though the status was "backordered". What the frack is Sony Canada doing or do they even have a clue?

Jul 11, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #1,646 of 2,453
I am really curious about the positioning of the new A40 series. While I liked A30, there is not enough improvement from A20 to make me buy one. Also lately there are many competitors at this price range, some even have 2.5mm balanced output (dps1, xdr 20r, Aune M1s).

So I would really be pleasantly surprised if Sony managed to give A40 4.4mm balanced output (which will be very competitive and can promote 4.4mm standard ), but the chance is slim. If it is not gonna happen, what else can Sony put into the new A40 to survive the lower price DAP market?

Jul 12, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #1,647 of 2,453
I just bought this player in Spain, where we are used to capped Walkman stuff. I ran the Rockbox tool to check if it was capped and it wasn't. Weird.

Aside from that, I come from the Fiio X3. Can't really say if it is better or worse. Just very different.

Jul 12, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #1,649 of 2,453
I'm not entirely sure about that statement, having them side by side, the X3 feels more layered and resolutive, but thinner and a bit too sharp/harsh. The A30 feels heavier/fuller and smoother around the edges and the vocals are less grainy.

Jul 12, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #1,650 of 2,453
I am really curious about the positioning of the new A40 series. While I liked A30, there is not enough improvement from A20 to make me buy one. Also lately there are many competitors at this price range, some even have 2.5mm balanced output (dps1, xdr 20r, Aune M1s).

So I would really be pleasantly surprised if Sony managed to give A40 4.4mm balanced output (which will be very competitive and can promote 4.4mm standard ), but the chance is slim. If it is not gonna happen, what else can Sony put into the new A40 to survive the lower price DAP market?
You can look up the manuel. It seems like the A40 will be completely like the A30 just with slight changes (more codec support better Bluetooth). Pretty much the same as the A10 and A20

Users who are viewing this thread

Back