New iBasso Portable Amp/DAC: iBasso D14 "Bushmaster"
May 12, 2015 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 584

Cotnijoe

Sponsor: iFi Audio
Formerly with Unique Melody
iBasso has been a huge player in the past couple of years in the DAP market with their DX50 and DX90 players, but seems they're finally back in the portable amp game! I'm not sure if there has been posts elsewhere yet, but they announced their new portable Amp/DAC device on facebook yesterday. I've personally been a fan of some of iBasso's portable devices in the past, and I'm a big big fan of their players. The new D14 "Bushmaster" seems competitively priced and I'm quite excited to see how they sound. Thought I'd start a thread to see if anyone else is also interested in this device and hopefully will get some impressions on them once they're released!

Info and pictures from Facebook:

The iBasso D14. As a dac used with your computer, combined with a great internal amplifier many of your musical needs are met! There is no lag time if you listen to movies and with the OTG function, it works with any phone that has a proper functioning OTG output.

iBasso D14

The D14 is our new generation AMP and DAC combo that combines the advantages of and advances on our design of the D12 and D62. It utilizes the Sabre32 ES9018K2M DAC chip and with the XMOS USB receiver and the D14 is able to take up to a 32bit/384kHz PCM signal and native DSD up to 256x from computers. It also can work as a DAC for Android smart phones via a USB OTG. Other than the USB input, the D14 can take up to 24bit/192kHz optical input, coaxial input and analogue line in. On the Amplification section, we have an OPAMP based high output headphone amplifier, which can output up to 400mW into a 32ohm load. The sound quality from this little all-in-one AMP+DAC is better than any of our previous AMP+DAC products and achieves this from a combination of advanced technologies and superior implementation of components.

D14 Specifications:

Power Source: Built-in 4.2V Li-polymer Batteries or
external power supply.
Frequency Response: 17Hz~20 KHz +/-1dB (DAC)
17Hz~100 KHz +/-0.2dB (AMP).
Signal to Noise Ratio:115dB (DAC), 116dB (Amp).
Crosstalk: 106dB (DAC).
Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.0018%@1kHz/-10dBF (DAC)
0.0012%@1kHz/max volume (AMP).
Output power: Up to 400mW+400mW into 32ohm.
Gain: +3dB and +9dB (AMP).
Battery Life: 13 hours AMP+DAC or 25 hours if amp only.
Battery Charge Time: 5 hours.
External Power supply: 5V DC.
Recommended Headphone Impedance: 8~300.
Output impedance: 0.1ohm.

Retail Price: $229.00 release date the beginning of June, 2015.

May 19, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 584
Will this work with an iPad via CCK?

May 19, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 584
I honestly have no clue. I havent gotten my hands on a unit yet. Might be a good question to ask iBasso rep about!

May 19, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #5 of 584
A few more interesting questions (as it effectively replaces the D12) might be:

Is it op-amp rollable?
Does it have one or two DACs?

May 24, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #6 of 584
Great device, is there any nice accessories in the package like speical cables included for the coaxial or optical input? I guess both in a combo input 3,5mm jack? Would be great to use this with an DX50 or DX90 over coaxial input, instead of analog input.

May 24, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #7 of 584
Great device, is there any nice accessories in the package like speical cables included for the coaxial or optical input?
I guess both in a combo input 3,5mm jack? Would be great to use this with an DX50 or DX90 over coaxial input, instead of analog input.

I will hopefully be getting a review unit in the coming month or so which will shed some light. Im honestly not sure what inputs it has for its dac section.

Ill also be trying it out with a DX90

Jun 19, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #8 of 584
Hello,
any update on release date yet?
beerchug.gif

It would be great to know the dimensions of this device. Is it additional possible to use this device as DAC with line out, like volume knob to maximum to bypass to a other portable amp (for i.e. STAX SRM-002)?

Is there a short USB OTG like for the D-Zero MK2 as accessories in the package, that we don't need for Android any bulky USB cable + USB OTG cable combo to go for it?

Jun 19, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #9 of 584
Unfortunately, last time i talked with iBasso, they seem to have been pretty busy. But theyre supposedly on the final steps of assembly. I'll probably email them in a week or two if I still haven't heard from them.

Based on the design of the D14, it doesnt look like it was designed to be as pocketable as the D-Zero, which makes me guess its main function is for use as a USB dac from your computer. I have no idea though. We'll find out once they're officially out!

Jun 25, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #15 of 584
My D14 should be arriving in a couple of days. Looking forward to getting it on the bench! Based on the specs, it should be a significant upgrade from the D12.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back