New HTC 10--Audio Impressions
Jan 14, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #256 of 476

Quote:

oryan, 

What do you mean? This adapter that I linked to does not have a DAC chip inside it. I don't follow. It's just a regular cable with adapters/connectors. 

After answering/clearing up the question above, please confirm that that adapter will in fact pass along analog audio and NOT cause the phone to bypass the DAC. This is very important. If it's bypassing the DAC then that's a tragedy. lol 

Thank you!!!

​Just like the Apple lightning to 3.5mm dongle, the one you linked to does have a DAC chip in it.  It's a poorly written Amazon description by the 3rd party retailer, but it does say "This type-c interface digital decoder...", and in one of the pictures even compares it to an analog adapter:

Ps. I have no idea what they're trying to show in that graph.  Honestly, I'd stay far away from that adapter.

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #257 of 476
​Just like the Apple lightning to 3.5mm dongle, the one you linked to does have a DAC chip in it.  It's a poorly written Amazon description by the 3rd party retailer, but it does say "This type-c interface digital decoder...", and in one of the pictures even compares it to an analog adapter:

Ps. I have no idea what they're trying to show in that graph.  Honestly, I'd stay far away from that adapter.

Ok. lol

Well can you recommend one then that WILL allow analog audio to pass through please?

Thank you!

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #258 of 476
Ok. lol

Well can you recommend one then that WILL allow analog audio to pass through please?

Thank you!

Unfortunately no. I have no practical experience with these adapters. If you confirm the device supports analog audio via the USB-C connector, then I'd look for an analog adapter that is confirmed to work with the device and is made by a reputable company.

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #260 of 476
I've got both these phones on the way, one is going back for a refund, I still don't know which one.

Keeping in mind, that I'm an audio guy first:

The HTC has a 24/192 AQustic DAC developed by Qualcomm. HTC has their Boomsound software, a headphone correction software that evens out the sound to both sides, and Dolby Audio, which I'll never use. It also outputs 1V of power, which is very respectable, out of the box, meaning I don't have to pull any tricks to get decently loud output without distortion.

The LG has a 9218 ESS Sabre Quad DAC, capable of outputting DSD or SACD or DVD-A quality music. It's a 32/382 DAC chip on paper. I do have to pull tricks to get it to play decently loud, I have to pull off the left earpiece from the headphone cable, plug in, then reconnect the left earpiece. 

They both have identical hardware, the HTC has a non-removeable battery, the LG a removeable battery. Cameras, which I rarely use, are about the same. I've never owned an HTC, I currently have an LG V10 that is developing problems, probably because when I was rooted, I over-clocked it. I do like the second screen, but could just as easily get used to pushing the power button to see the time. 

For me it really comes down to the audio, and from the reviews I've read, they almost sound the same. And Boomsound headphone equalization is a really nice feature.

HELP!?!?!?!

Jan 17, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #262 of 476
  For me it really comes down to the audio, and from the reviews I've read, they almost sound the same. And Boomsound headphone equalization is a really nice feature.

HELP!?!?!?!

Do you like to root and install custom ROMs?  If so HTC 10.  The LG V20 is not too root friendly last I checked.  Might want to consider that as well.  I posted this a month ago and got ZERO feedback on here.  Loving my HTC 10 with this installed (granted you need root to do it).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/805675/new-htc-10-audio-impressions/225#post_13099428

EDIT: Works great here it is working on the 10....

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #263 of 476
Hello guys,

Sorry if someone asked about it earlier. Does HTC 10 DAC could be easily turned on in 3rd party apps? For instance Spotify which I use most of the time.

Regards,
David

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #264 of 476
Hello guys,

Sorry if someone asked about it earlier. Does HTC 10 DAC could be easily turned on in 3rd party apps? For instance Spotify which I use most of the time.

Regards,
David

You don't turn the dac on/off on the HTC 10. It's just there and work with all apps I have tried including Tidal and Spotify. Think quality :wink:

Mar 2, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #266 of 476
You don't turn the dac on/off on the HTC 10. It's just there and work with all apps I have tried including Tidal and Spotify. Think quality :wink:

I read somewhere though that the Aqstic Codec that Qualcomm made is what gets used for like everything, NOT the HTC (audio) Codec which is superior. That only gets used for I think Google Music. Just STUPID on HTC's part. The Aqstic is still very good though, and the fact is yes, the DEDICATED DAC & dedicated headphone amp are used for everything. 

Mar 5, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #267 of 476
I am currently mid way testing the LG G5 and HTC 10. I mentioned already on the G5 thread I have reviewed the G5 HiFi module and LG Tone Platinum headphones which have the APTX HD codec. You can find my reviews on my personal blog Gavin's Gadgets. I will be writing my thoughts on the HTC 10 vs LG G5 audio in the next couple of days. Any questions, just ask here.

I am also comparing loudspeakers. I also have the S7, Huawei P9 and if needed for comparison I can borrow my wife's iPhone 6S.

Hi Gavin

Maybe I just didn't find the right post, but did you finished your testing? If yes, what are the results? Allow me a second question: which player app would you recommend for one of the two?
Thx, Stef

Mar 6, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #268 of 476
HTC 10 sounded best with wired headphones, no amp needed for easier to drive ones. Bluetooth goes to the LG G5. If you have the LG G5 with HiFi Dac module, then the G5 wins.

The best player depends on codec. But the usual suspects apply. USB Audio Player Pro.

Mar 6, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #270 of 476
HTC 10 sounded best with wired headphones, no amp needed for easier to drive ones. Bluetooth goes to the LG G5. If you have the LG G5 with HiFi Dac module, then the G5 wins.

The best player depends on codec. But the usual suspects apply. USB Audio Player Pro.

Hey gavin, 

Yes I agree completely with your take on the HTC 10's sound using a wired setup. It is extraordinary! When I compared it to with my now former $299 Oppo HA-2 (which you of course famously reviewed on your site!), I felt it MATCHED what the Oppo was doing, so I no longer felt I needed it anymore. Also yes, I have the AKG K551 headphones which are 32 ohms (so on the "easy to drive" side), and the 10 most definitely gives me more than enough volume thanks the to powerful 1.009 volt dedicated headphone amp (in addition to the dedicated DAC)! So I don't think anyone will need an external amp unless they have headphones with a much higher impedance than that. If there are those that do, I would suggest the FiiO A3 or else the slightly better but pricier A5 (check Amazon). I had the A3 a couple years ago when it was called the E11k, and it sounded fantastic! 

For Bluetooth, the type of DAC doesn't really matter because the signal being sent out is digital, which means it gets bypassed by the DAC completely. The signal instead is sent out by the 820 processor, so all the "magic" that comes from a Hi-Fi DAC never gets applied to the sound at all. That's the downside of BT. So if someone wants great sound from BT, they need headphones with a BUILT-IN Hi-Fi DAC b/c then the DAC DOES get utilized b/c at that point the sound would need to be converted from digital to analog in order for you to hear it. Sony and AKG have headphones like that, though the Sony one didn't get the best reviews, and the AKG one is like $1500. lol That's kinda why I stick with wired. Plus you get a nice volume bump with wired too. 

Yes the codec helps too. HTC uses its own codec, but what ppl don't know is it only gets applied if you use Google Music or I think for other streaming? But in other cases it will apply the Aqstic codec, which is very good though not AS good as HTC's codec. Why HTC did this I dunno. It's pretty stupid. I may complain, but not sure it would change anything, and it already sounds amazing since the quality of the DAC and amp are more important anyway. Yeah USB Audio Player Pro or else my fav Poweramp are great options. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back