New Forum Tips and Tricks!
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #46 of 66

This is the setting that I am talking about. I have unchecked the "and receive email notification" box on every thread.
I am not sure where you were when you captured the image that you provided. I would hope that unchecking the box for email notification would turn them off. It does not work that way, at least for me.

EDIT: The problem is that my browser does not display the second radio button .

Reading your edit, does that mean that you were able to stop the email alerts for that thread by using a different browser? Which browser were you using? I'm currently using Chrome on OS X. These photos were taken using a basic test account in Firefox, still on OS X.

I got to this specific page using the "Subscribe/Unsubscribe" link found at the top of every thread. I'm wondering if this option and the one you showed in your screenshot are somehow different.
Before subscribing:
Before.png

Options:
Options.png

After subscribing:
After.png

May 4, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #47 of 66
Reading your edit, does that mean that you were able to stop the email alerts for that thread by using a different browser? Which browser were you using? I'm currently using Chrome on OS X. These photos were taken using a basic test account in Firefox, still on OS X.

I got to this specific page using the "Subscribe/Unsubscribe" link found at the top of every thread. I'm wondering if this option and the one you showed in your screenshot are somehow different.
Before subscribing:

Options:

After subscribing:
The capture above was in IE 11 on Windows 7 (latest a patch level as of a few of weeks back on Patch Tuesday). I have to verify this, but I am pretty certain that the selection was not available on Win 7 in Chrome on my home PC.
Had I seen the second selection on any browser to date, I feel certain that I would have used it. Once the selection is available, it seems obvious to me that that one is the selection to use. I just have never seen it.

I am at work now and our only approved browser is IE. I can't do much more checking here, but I will when I get home this evening.

Last edited:
May 4, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #49 of 66
@mandrake50 Ping me later when you get home and have a chance to check. I'd love to get this sorted so people aren't receiving unwanted email notifications.
Will do, but keep in mind, Microsoft browsers are still used by around 30% of the people out there. I would think that the solution should be to fix it universally if possible.
Will let you know what I find.

May 4, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #50 of 66
Will do, but keep in mind, Microsoft browsers are still used by around 30% of the people out there. I would think that the solution should be to fix it universally if possible.
Will let you know what I find.

I'm not suggesting that we abandon Microsoft browsers, but I am trying to narrow down where I'll need to start the search for the cause. If I see that it's limited to a specific browser then that gives me a solid starting point.

May 4, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #51 of 66
Got it... linear troubleshooting..

May 4, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #52 of 66
Axel:
I got to a place to try Chrome. This is from a Windows 7 PC. Chrome Version 58.0.3029.96 (64-bit)

forum2.jpg

Still not showing the third line with the specific no email selection.

Phil

May 4, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #53 of 66
I think we're looking in different places. The screenshot looks like it's coming from the bottom of the page, below the composition window. I'm looking at the top of the page, to the right of the page numbers. It should say "Unsubscribe from Thread" if you're currently subscribed to it. If you unsubscribe, wait for the page to reload, and then choose subscribe again, what do you see?

May 4, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #54 of 66
You are correct. I have not unsubscribed and re-subscribed to any threads lately...
I was using the "more options" button and getting the display that I captured.

EDIT:

When doing what you suggested I did see the same options that your capture showed.
Shouldn't the functionality be the same in either location?

Will I have to unsubscribe and re-subscribe to each thread in order to make the change?

If that works, great. It does seem a bit clumsy though. It would be far better if options could simply be changed on the fly.

Last edited:
May 4, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #55 of 66
You are correct. I have not unsubscribed and re-subscribed to any threads lately...
I was using the "more options" button and getting the display that I captured.

OK, so you unsubscribed, resubscribed and chose "without receiving email notifications?" Has that stopped those emails for that particular thread?

May 4, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #58 of 66
May 4, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #59 of 66
@mandrake50 I went looking for an easier way to change email notification settings on threads and there's a simple method accessible from the subscription page. You can check the box next to the thread and then move down to the bottom of your subscriptions. There's a dropdown menu in the bottom left (almost hidden if you have a lot of subscriptions) that will allow you to change email notifications. I just made a few changes with my test account and toggling between on and off was simple. See if that works for you and stops the notification emails.

Note: it did take several seconds for the server to update and apply the change, so you might have to wait a moment or two while it processes the request.

Enable_Disable Email Notifications.PNG

May 5, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #60 of 66
OK, so you unsubscribed, resubscribed and chose "without receiving email notifications?" Has that stopped those emails for that particular thread?
I only have done that with this particular thread. I see that there have been new posts and I have not seen any email notifications. I will have to try with some other high activity threads and see if it works more universally.

I subscribe to quite a few threads, going through this process with all of them will take some time. I will let you know what I see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back