Need help buying my first pair
Jun 16, 2017 at 9:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

4b33r

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
Greetings,
I just joined Head-Fi as I wanted some advice from people that are far more knowledgeable than me.
I have never in my life purchased an audiophile grade headphone ever, but now I am willing to enter this world but I don't know where to start, there are a lot of options and a lot of reviews so I got quite confused.
Let me tell you what exactly I am looking for. My budget is around 150 USD and I want a pair of headphones that have a nice and balanced sound signature that can provide a nice listening experience Also I would love to have a big and wide soundstage as I am a gamer and that is quite important to me.Other than that I was wondering if I would absolutely have to buy an amp too as I am really tight on budget.
I have this motherboard - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170-D3H-rev-10#ov
I wanted to know how high of an impedance can this drive,let me tell you that my current headphones (g430) are 32 Ohms and they get Insanely loud even at 70% volume.
I guess that will be all, any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot!

Jun 17, 2017 at 5:46 AM Post #4 of 15
If you don't mind going a little above you budget I would recommend the Monoprice Monolith M560. They have everything you are looking for and they are not that hard to drive. They do benefit and sound better with a good Dac and Amp. they are $189 on Amazon, if you get them used they are around $160 on Amazon as well.

Jun 17, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #5 of 15
If you don't mind going a little above you budget I would recommend the Monoprice Monolith M560. They have everything you are looking for and they are not that hard to drive. They do benefit and sound better with a good Dac and Amp. they are $189 on Amazon, if you get them used they are around $160 on Amazon as well.
+1 if you can stretch it. If you cannot, then I like the HD598 pretty well for you.

Jun 17, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #6 of 15
Based on your description, the HD 598 SR would be perfect for your needs/wants. It's currently about $20 over your budget, but so very worth it, and you do not need an amp for them. The 598 is almost universally praised and where many people started their journey into hi-fi headphones.

Jun 17, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #7 of 15
I just tried to buy a pair of Monolith 1060's on their site but it was a no go after 3 tries. I don't need them but was looking to try them out to give my assessment of them and a review but if they can't get thier site right then I'm probably done. I entered my information 3 times and got nothing so please be aware. I tried Twitter twice and Facebook still no response so I would look elsewhere until they fix this.

Jun 17, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #8 of 15
Just tried to contact them but it is still a no go. I also tried Twitter still nothing. So they are on my no go list. Yes I understand it is Saturday night but a big company should have a presence. Sorry folks will not be getting a pair of Monoprice Monolith to try out. I tried 3 times to buy them but was a no go all times. Will not try Monoprice headphones ever. If this is what you get you should not either.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #10 of 15
Another vote for the 598, they're natural and wide which is great for gaming. You really can't dislike them, other than the retail price

Jun 18, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #11 of 15
I just tried to buy a pair of Monolith 1060's on their site but it was a no go after 3 tries. I don't need them but was looking to try them out to give my assessment of them and a review but if they can't get thier site right then I'm probably done. I entered my information 3 times and got nothing so please be aware. I tried Twitter twice and Facebook still no response so I would look elsewhere until they fix this.
Just tried to contact them but it is still a no go. I also tried Twitter still nothing. So they are on my no go list. Yes I understand it is Saturday night but a big company should have a presence. Sorry folks will not be getting a pair of Monoprice Monolith to try out. I tried 3 times to buy them but was a no go all times. Will not try Monoprice headphones ever. If this is what you get you should not either.

The Monolith M1060 are in stock through their Monoprice ebay store. I believe these are the Rev 2 but maybe you can contact them through Ebay and find out for sure.

Jun 18, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #12 of 15
The Monolith M1060 are in stock through their Monoprice ebay store. I believe these are the Rev 2 but maybe you can contact them through Ebay and find out for sure.
Didn't think about eBay but too late now for me. I'm high bidder on a pair of HD-800's so we'll see how that goes. Their website not working put a bad taste in my mouth.

Jun 20, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #14 of 15

+1 if you can stretch it. If you cannot, then I like the HD598 pretty well for you.

Based on your description, the HD 598 SR would be perfect for your needs/wants. It's currently about $20 over your budget, but so very worth it, and you do not need an amp for them. The 598 is almost universally praised and where many people started their journey into hi-fi headphones.

598 fits your need I guess unless you have any sound preferences

Another vote for the 598, they're natural and wide which is great for gaming. You really can't dislike them, other than the retail price

Guys what about the AD900x i linked above?

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #15 of 15
I like the 598 over the 900x. Soundstage isn't as wide but the imaging is better (imaging is more an example of how accurate the positional sound is, while soundstage typically means how far away the instruments can sound or the "depth of field" the music has). For gaming, imaging is better. The 598 are also more comfy, have a removable cable, and the highs don't get annoying like they can on the 900x. 598 is a great place to start because it has virtually no flaws in the sound. The 900x can get harsh. I'd still say get the 598 and find out what you like most about it, and then if you want to upgrade it'll be an easy time finding "HD598 vs xyz"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back