MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Jul 23, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #4,456 of 5,796
Yeah I did. Flow open. They shaved off too much detail.

The good guy Dan sent me a replacement set of the new pads.
Test driving them at the moment. No more squeaking. My first set was
definitely duds.
I'm having a few comfort issues. I've just got to get the pads just right
or the itch my ears. I have done one long 4 hour session with no issues
tho. So these pads could be a winner.

As far as depth, are they still the same as the previous pair? I am about to receive a pair of ori pads this coming week to replace my original flow pads. I cannot stand how my ears touch the inside padding. In the meantime, I've swap them with my ether c pads and they are completely fine as far as depth. I don't why they are any different than the flow pads. Maybe for SQ?

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #4,457 of 5,796
As far as depth, are they still the same as the previous pair? I am about to receive a pair of ori pads this coming week to replace my original flow pads. I cannot stand how my ears touch the inside of the cup. In the meantime, I've swap them with my ether c pads and they are completely fine as far as depth. I don't why they are any different than the flow pads. Maybe for SQ?

Depth is the same. Oddly I like the originals better for comfort. As it is a square it's more like a on-ear pad and it clamps my ears.
My ears seem to be the exact same size as the cups of the new pads. So they just fit. If I move around a bit the ends of my ears touch
the walls and tickle. It's like feather torture.

I do like the sound of the new pads. I will use them for a week or two and see if I can get use to the comfort.
In the end if I can't I will go back to the originals. Comfort wins over sound.

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #4,458 of 5,796
Depth is the same. Oddly I like the originals better for comfort. As it is a square it's more like a on-ear pad and it clamps my ears.
My ears seem to be the exact same size as the cups of the new pads. So they just fit. If I move around a bit the ends of my ears touch
the walls and tickle. It's like feather torture.

I do like the sound of the new pads. I will use them for a week or two and see if I can get use to the comfort.
In the end if I can't I will go back to the originals. Comfort wins over sound.
New pads are still a bit too bright for my setup, even moving the cups around on my head. I went back to the stock pads, and yes, they are a lot more comfortable to my ears.

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #4,459 of 5,796
Yeah I did. Flow open. They shaved off too much detail.

The good guy Dan sent me a replacement set of the new pads.
Test driving them at the moment. No more squeaking. My first set was
definitely duds.
I'm having a few comfort issues. I've just got to get the pads just right
or the itch my ears. I have done one long 4 hour session with no issues
tho. So these pads could be a winner.

Did you have squeaking with or without glasses? I get some squeaking in nylon framed glasses, but nothing when I'm in contacts. Love the e-pad sound for music and gaming and have zero desire to switch back to the stock pads. I guess I was blessed with small-medium ears, as I have no issues with my ear lobes resting on the interior padding.

Jul 26, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #4,460 of 5,796
As far as depth, are they still the same as the previous pair? I am about to receive a pair of ori pads this coming week to replace my original flow pads. I cannot stand how my ears touch the inside padding. In the meantime, I've swap them with my ether c pads and they are completely fine as far as depth. I don't why they are any different than the flow pads. Maybe for SQ?

This is the very question I am hoping someone will answer. My ears touching the inside of the stock inside padding gets uncomfortable over time. Let me know how the Ori pads work for you in terms of comfort and sound quality.

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #4,462 of 5,796
Ether c with flow pads (left) and "thick" ori pads on ether flows (right). Just arrived. Initial impressions are that they are super thick, and deep enough where my ears don't touch the inner padding. One thing to note is that I have to push the adjustment sliders almost all the way to get the headphones to fit. I also have a big head so that may be different for you. I'll post an update on SQ soon.

IMG_0456.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #4,463 of 5,796
They looks nice, I look forward to hearing your sound impressions.

Jul 27, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #4,464 of 5,796
what is the ori pads?

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #4,466 of 5,796
Please know that I purchased the ori pads because I was not satisfied with the comfort of the flow pads. This is my best effort to describe the sound from these pads. I will try to make comparisons to the other pads, but in no way am I saying that one pad is better than the other in terms of SQ. These are my impressions after four hours of listening.

The ori pads are comfy, but uses a slightly stiffer foam than the flow pads. The lambskin of the ori’s is much softer that the leather of the flow pad. The increase in thickness makes it so my ears don’t touch the inner padding. Since the pads are deeper, I find there to be less detail. Layering of music is better with the ori pads. I find it easier to focus on individual instruments. Vocals are smoother. I found that the shallower pads had better control of the bass. These ori pads have somewhat transformed my ether flows to present music similar to my ether c’s. Music sounds very pleasant, and I can listen to them for hours without any fatigue. Before, the mid bass with the shallower pads, was a bit too much. In a way, the ori pads accentuates the holographic nature of the ether line. I don’t think that the ori pads will replace my flow pads completely. I will still swap them out for when I want more detail. I think the original ether c’s pads are a good middle ground, and wouldn’t mind buying another pair if Mr. Speakers still has them.

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #4,467 of 5,796
They are pads sold by zmf headphones for their ori headphone line. They can be used with many headphones of the same size.

Do they fit on a similar way?
Is there any pics of the ear cutout?

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #4,468 of 5,796
Ether c with flow pads (left) and "thick" ori pads on ether flows (right). Just arrived. Initial impressions are that they are super thick, and deep enough where my ears don't touch the inner padding. One thing to note is that I have to push the adjustment sliders almost all the way to get the headphones to fit. I also have a big head so that may be different for you. I'll post an update on SQ soon.

How far up do you normally have it with the stock pads? I am around 3/4 the way up.

I was under the impression that the Ether C pads were the same as the flow pads, they are both angled correct? Maybe the diffences you see are just pad to pad variation?

I emailed Dan about the depth and he stated that the depth of the Ether Flow is 3mm shallower than the Ether C due to the flow components. So essentially the same pads would feel deeper on an Ether C than they would on an Ether Flow.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #4,470 of 5,796
How far up do you normally have it with the stock pads? I am around 3/4 the way up.

I was under the impression that the Ether C pads were the same as the flow pads, they are both angled correct? Maybe the diffences you see are just pad to pad variation?

I emailed Dan about the depth and he stated that the depth of the Ether Flow is 3mm shallower than the Ether C due to the flow components. So essentially the same pads would feel deeper on an Ether C than they would on an Ether Flow.

I have them about half way up with the flow pads. The ori pads are 3/4 of the way if I want them tight on my head. I got my flow headphones soon after they were released. At the time, there were others on the thread commenting about the how their pads where shallower than the the previous ether model. I didn't actually realize this until I compared the pads a few weeks later. Maybe it is due to pad variation, the memory foam in my pads don't seem to fill the leather that surrounds it as much as the ether c pad. The back side of the pads appears to always looked swished even with the headphones off. I agree that the wave guide in the flows add thickness to the overall driver compartment, but I have been using the flow pads with my ether c and my ears are touching the one black filter that I have inside. I believe that if the pads were the slightly thicker, maybe 3-4mm, I wouldn't have the same issue. I had also PMed Dan a few months ago about the differences, and he confirmed that the flow pads were different in design and to use the ether c pads if I enjoyed them more. Right now, I don't know if it is pad variation or design, but I can go check it against the ether c flows at my local dealer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back