Mr. Speakers Ether Flow Impressions and Discussion
Feb 11, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #136 of 161
I have a hifi shop across the street. I never go there, because the owner was a jerk to me about 10 years ago...I ventured in a few months ago to demo some headphones...and the guy asked me if I'd heard of the K1000.  I said I had... blah blah blah... ended up buying 2 that he had sitting around his house.  ....I haven't tried them with my sub yet...not sure how I'd best hook that up.  I have an SVS PC2000.  Perhaps I'll give it a roll... doesn't answer the question, but thanks for the.. sarcasm(?)  .... $2000...yeah I'm in Germany.  I didn't pay $2000

Feb 28, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #137 of 161
Hi all, long time lurker here.  First of all, thank you to everyone who have contributed here and also in other threads about the Ether Flow.  After hesitation for a long time, I finally pulled the trigger for a Ether Flow.  I feel compelled to also contribute after receiving it last Monday.  I am no expert nor audiophile so please pardon any inappropriate wordings...

A bit of background: 
I've been using the Concero HP for all my DAC/amp duty connecting to my laptop.  Good open headphones wise, I had the Alpha padded Hifiman HE500 first and then moved on to the Audeze LCD-X.  Due to the heavy weight and somewhat congested sound, I eventually moved on to the Sennheiser HD800S with which I really enjoy the clarify, soundstage, etc.  However, I do miss how hard the bass hit on the LCD-X and a bit more intimacy/closeness for some music.  So...in comes the planar magnetic (once again) Ether Flow...  

I am at the 80~ hours point of burn in and here are some notes:
- I wear glasses, and whether my glasses lift the pads a bit or not wearing them, doesn't seem to change the sound much
- Comfortable to wear.  The headphones fit snuggly around the ears, like having gloves around them, instead of having a giant ring and then air around your ears with the HD800S.  that had always felt a bit weird for me
- It is important to tighten the screws on the clip that connect the leather headband to maintain a good fit
- yes! I can wear this all day unlike the LCD-X

More about the sound:
- I feel there is more obvious difference in sound in before-after burn in with the Ether Flow than others I've owned, YMMV
- there was a brief period between 20-30 hours where I felt I can't listen to the headphones. Like it was veiled and this wall of sound.  Hard to describe but it was definitely irritating or fatigue'ing... lol
- all of the sound properties were there at the beginning but everything had improved at this point, as if there is just more clarity
- I am very satisfied with the bass such that I don't miss the LCD-X anymore.  Ether flow hits hard and quick and rumbles plenty, though LCD-X still has that sub-bass for tracks that have them
- the soundstage width does sit somewhat between LCD-X and HD800S but weird is that I find that I can somehow tell an instrument just sits further back... so the depth is good(?) but may have to do with the next point
- the instrument separation is comparable to HD800S, but I find each sound is a bit more holographic on the Ether Flow that makes each instrument more noticeable and I feel inclined to listen to each
- I listen to a lot of vocals and I don't find the voice ever getting lost in instruments
- There is this "sweetness" in the overall sound, even in songs that are very exciting and dynamic
- The difference in volume in each track seems more apparent with Ether Flow such that I am tweaking my volume up and down more often than ever

That's my 2 cents. Sorry it's a little long and if I misuse any terms.  I sincerely hope this helps anyone thinking about the Ether Flow.

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #138 of 161
^^ Great first post and welcome to HF! The break in on the Ether is quite real. Dan has mentioned several times that it's related to the pleates in the driver. They will sound there best after a 150 hours or so. Enjoy the EF, it's one of the very best that I've owned. 

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #139 of 161

Bottom line:  I'm trying to figure out if there is a compromise to be had.... a phone that has BOTH the audible detail and the bass slam.  I know that's what the majority of the people here are looking for too.   Is the Ether Flow that combination?  Is the HEK?   Should I just stretch the Denons over the Senns in a piggyback and call it a day? 

Only you can answer that. I think the Ether Flow offers amazing detail and the right amount of bass. Will it have enough "slam" for you? Hopefully you can find a local-ish dealer and go take a listen.

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #140 of 161
The Flow needs to come with Dan's Ether Stat pads.
The Flow should even come with this option.
It would definitely be a great option.

Mar 27, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #142 of 161
Just got my Ether Flow (open) broken in this weekend. Really a great product and my new reference. The original Ethers are a great phone as well, but are lacking in the lowest octave. The soundstage is also much bigger and the detail is better on the Flows. My girlfriend (not an audiophile) listened to them against the LCD-Xs (which she prefers). She remarked that the Audezes seemed to present a small intimate space, where the Ether Flows sounded like she was in a huge hall. Flows beat the original Ethers and the LCD-X's on detail as well. I kept a pair of HD800s around for that very detailed sound when I am doing audio editing, but don't feel like I need them any longer.  Happy camper!

Mar 27, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #144 of 161
  Just got my Ether Flow (open) broken in this weekend. Really a great product and my new reference. The original Ethers are a great phone as well, but are lacking in the lowest octave. The soundstage is also much bigger and the detail is better on the Flows. My girlfriend (not an audiophile) listened to them against the LCD-Xs (which she prefers). She remarked that the Audezes seemed to present a small intimate space, where the Ether Flows sounded like she was in a huge hall. Flows beat the original Ethers and the LCD-X's on detail as well. I kept a pair of HD800s around for that very detailed sound when I am doing audio editing, but don't feel like I need them any longer.  Happy camper!

Was that with the new E-stat pads? If not they open up the soundstage even more, it is pretty damn massive now! 
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #146 of 161
While in the market for Ether Flows I contacted Dan about the impact of Ether Electrostatic pads on the sound.

It seems they both reduce the mid forward nature of the headphones and largely increase soundstage.

The hype about E-pads is real.

Seems like a very worthwhile upgrade.

Apr 25, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #147 of 161
I just ordered my Ether Flows. Is there a thread discussing which cables work well with the phones?

Apr 25, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #148 of 161
It comes with a pretty good cable from MrSpeakers. I'd suggest hanging out on that option until you get fully aquainted with your new Ether Flows and it's cable. There are lots of great cable options. I generally suggest getting cables after you're able to identify the assets and deficits of your headphones or headphone system. If nothing else wait for your new cans to reach full voice. I find taking time in this step more often than not allows for better decisions.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Apr 25, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #149 of 161
I've ordered a new cable not because there is anything wrong with the DUM cable sonically but because it is so stupidly inflexible.

Let me also just say that Ether Flow + Hugo TT is a fabulous combo. Really great synergy.

Apr 26, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #150 of 161
I've ordered a new cable not because there is anything wrong with the DUM cable sonically but because it is so stupidly inflexible.

Let me also just say that Ether Flow + Hugo TT is a fabulous combo. Really great synergy.
Speaking of cables...
My DUM was acting up as if it had a bad solder joint at the mini jack so cut the heatshrink to inspect. Looked good but then realized that if I would spin the barrel on the Neutrik mini it was better. Just a heads up. Now I need some of that thicker heat shrink tubing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back