Melodious MX-U8 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Feb 1, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #618 of 658
  This picture was from their Taobao store as of yesterday.  I am not sure whether it is still there.
The product page has the old photos, which is likely to mean that a model with this new chassis is still unavailable.

Thanks a lot for the kind reply.
I like this new chassis a lot more ... they could even think about making a more compact version with a DC socket for an external power supply
Nice unit indeed.
I have the old model and in my system and in the stock version is better than the Gustard U12.
I do not have a Breeze to compare unfortunately.
I have the feeling that the Melodious is a fundamentally very sane product and maybe it can improved a little in the power supply section.
Regards, gino

Feb 7, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #622 of 658
no clue what happened with U12 thread 
blink.gif

Feb 10, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #625 of 658
Hi,

for the ones who are interested, I started a new thread about USB interfaces since U12 thread was closed.
Feel free to subscribe 
wink_face.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/797881/digital-usb-interfaces-xmos-or-amanero-combo384-based-reviews-comparison-modifications-and-usb-audio-in-general

Regards,

Alex

Mar 1, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #626 of 658
I just got a Melodious MX-U8 usb/spdif converter from eBay. It was shipped with DHL express, I got it in 3 days in the US.

It is the new chassis with the round corner. Heavy build casting aluminum and looks very nice. The LEDs are too bright. First, I tried it with windows 7, it has some glitches (I have to switch off/on the U8 to let the computer find it). I haven't got a chance to evaluate the SQ, but the first impression was very good. It at least as good as the usb port in my W4S DAC with DSD usb input, and safe to say that the U8 is on the warmer side. According to what I read on the forums, the USB with DSD support on the W4S DAC was very decent.

However, the good news ends here. I have no luck to play any sound from my Cubietruck Linux (Armbian Wheezy arm6hf -> LMS 7.9 -> squeezelite 1.8). The squeezelite could find the U8 when turn on the MX-U8 after linux boot up. But if I reboot the linux when the MX-U8 was on, the linux would lost the U8. This system had no issues with HiFace Two and the W4S DAC usb-dsd input.

I also tried Daphile on my Lenovo laptop. The same thing happened. The Daphile sometime can see the U8, but never could make a sound. It is weird, because all three lights including the DSD LED lights up when using both armbian linux and the Daphile. I was not playing any DSD files. Spent a whole night, could not get any sound out of it with Linux. At this point, I am not sure I got a 100% working unit.

The ultimate edition is mainly the new chassis (cost more) with the same 1.7 board. I talked to the designer, Mr. Liu at Taobao store yesterday night. He had no idea regarding to my problem.

Anyone used the MX-U8 1.7 with Linux? I appreciate your inputs.

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #627 of 658
  I just got a Melodious MX-U8 usb/spdif converter from eBay. It was shipped with DHL express, I got it in 3 days in the US.

It is the new chassis with the round corner. Heavy build casting aluminum and looks very nice. The LEDs are too bright. First, I tried it with windows 7, it has some glitches (I have to switch off/on the U8 to let the computer find it). I haven't got a chance to evaluate the SQ, but the first impression was very good. It at least as good as the usb port in my W4S DAC with DSD usb input, and safe to say that the U8 is on the warmer side. According to what I read on the forums, the USB with DSD support on the W4S DAC was very decent.

However, the good news ends here. I have no luck to play any sound from my Cubietruck Linux (Armbian Wheezy arm6hf -> LMS 7.9 -> squeezelite 1.8). The squeezelite could find the U8 when turn on the MX-U8 after linux boot up. But if I reboot the linux when the MX-U8 was on, the linux would lost the U8. This system had no issues with HiFace Two and the W4S DAC usb-dsd input.

I also tried Daphile on my Lenovo laptop. The same thing happened. The Daphile sometime can see the U8, but never could make a sound. It is weird, because all three lights including the DSD LED lights up when using both armbian linux and the Daphile. I was not playing any DSD files. Spent a whole night, could not get any sound out of it with Linux. At this point, I am not sure I got a 100% working unit.

The ultimate edition is mainly the new chassis (cost more) with the same 1.7 board. I talked to the designer, Mr. Liu at Taobao store yesterday night. He had no idea regarding to my problem.

Anyone used the MX-U8 1.7 with Linux? I appreciate your inputs.

Hi AudioElements,

It's probably very wise to put this question in the new DDC forum since there are many U12/Melodious thread followers who already subbed.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/797881/ddc-digital-usb-interfaces-xmos-or-amanero-combo384-based-reviews-comparison-modifications-and-usb-audio-in-general/60#post_12385675

XMOS is very picky about drivers, buffers and latency.

I suppose you have a buffer/latency related problem (I had those too on Server 2012, thesycon driver solved everything).
Are there any buffer/latency settings to configure in Linux?

Regards,

Alex

Apr 4, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #628 of 658
Before the U12 thread went funky I had an unaswered driver questions there .. since this is the only active DDC thread maybe you guys can help me.
A few people mentioned a 3.xx Xmos driver for the Breeze. Does anyone know if there is an equivalent XMOS 3.xx driver for the U12? (Latest I know is 2.26)

P.S.
Sorry everyone for my role in the u12-thread story, I certainly didnt want that thread closed. I own & enjoy an U12 and got a lot of useful info from that thread .. including from rb2013 (btw, if you read this maybe you can pm me and I'm sure we can take care of whatever made you so angry.)
Anyway .. hope this thread will live a long life and be much friendlier to people with different gear, ears, experience & opinions.

Can happen, no sweat
wink_face.gif
 , we're all on a learning curve, that's why we call ourselves human
wink_face.gif

You could try to port the 3.0 driver to the Breeze, change the UID/PID's

Regards,

Alex

I'm also using the U12 with 2.26 drivers. I don't even know where I got it. I don't have a disc driver for my PC, so I have to rely on the interwebs. Anyway, @prot, let me know what you end up using. I'm considering returning my U12 if there is no driver support for it or find one that I can easily install and be done with. The DDC rabbit hole is too technical and progressive for this lazy sack :).

Apr 4, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #629 of 658
Hi Guys ! sorry for the outburst.
But i wonder ... is it really so difficult to set up a web site and put there a little presentation of products (both in chinese and english for the rest of the world)  with the possibility to download the latest drivers ? 
blink.gif

i am really puzzled and sorry.
This search of drivers looks like a treasure hunt
frown.gif

A web site is the presentation of a company to the outside world.
A mandatory step for any serious company.
wink.gif

End of the outburst.
Have a nice day
gino 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back