Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEMs Review / Preview
May 21, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #571 of 766
So far my favorite tips are the foamies that come with the Noble X. Does anyone know where I can get more? I know Noble sells a tip set but I was hoping to get just the foam instead of the whole tip set. I also noticed that these are already back on Massdrop. Great stuff!
As faithguy19 said, the Noble X drop just went live again. If you missed out on the previous drops, here's another chance for you to pick them up.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-noble-x-universal-iem

Last edited:
May 21, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #572 of 766
May 23, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #576 of 766
Does anyone have a recommendation on a DAC/AMP combo? I primarily will use these IEMs streaming Spotify off of my MacBook Pro at my desk. I would imagine that I may occasionally stream off of my Samsung S8, but mostly for use while working at my desk. I've never owned a DAC/AMP and would prefer to stay under $250.

May 23, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #578 of 766
Does anyone have a recommendation on a DAC/AMP combo? I primarily will use these IEMs streaming Spotify off of my MacBook Pro at my desk. I would imagine that I may occasionally stream off of my Samsung S8, but mostly for use while working at my desk. I've never owned a DAC/AMP and would prefer to stay under $250.
I recently bought a Dragonfly Red for use with my Android phone and my IEMs. It's relatively quiet(no hiss) and can work with a computer as well. It definitely gets loud very quick though with my Noble X. It retails for $200 but I occasionally see used ones around.

May 26, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #580 of 766
I ended up going a little above my comfort level and picked up a Oppo HA-2SE ($300). Anyone have experience with it? Would I be better served with the Dragonfly Red?
I have the OPPO HA-2 and I enjoy it a lot. It plays all devices and sounds great with them. But in hindsight I think I would have gone for the Dragonfly Red, if of course had it been available at the time.

May 28, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #581 of 766
I was enjoying the Noble X's until a latex allergy kicked in. I acquired the allergy from work and now all tips I try induce irritation in my ears. I let my wife try the Noble X's (she doesn't care at all about HiFi) and she went "ooohh!" when watching a movie on her laptop. Suffice it to say they no longer belong to me. I may try the CIEM route but it's a pricey investment to have a reaction to.

May 29, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #582 of 766
Anyone have anything to say about these for classical music listening - particularly piano? I'd also be interested to hear any experiences using these with an ak100 ii.

I don't presently own any IEMs worth speaking of, and hadn't planned to make a purchase anytime soon, but these have piqued my interest from a value standpoint. If there are more well suited options at the same price point, I'd be interested to hear about that too.

May 29, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #583 of 766
Anyone have anything to say about these for classical music listening - particularly piano?
I listen to classical music with these quite a lot, and I really like it, but I admit that I'm not too experienced. I used Etymotic HF5 previously, and it always felt lacking in some way - they had great detail and treble, but the bass was simply too weak even for classical and especially for the orchestra. Noble X fixed that. They don't have _that_ much detail (particularly in the heights), but they sound hell more natural. In particular, the violoncellos in an orchestra and the lower tones in piano fell into place, and listening is so much more engaging now. In fact, with a good recording, they sound pretty close to what I hear in a concert (I'm from Prague, Czech Republic; we have three world class orchestras here, so I visit live concerts pretty often :) ) .

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #584 of 766
I listen to classical music with these quite a lot, and I really like it, but I admit that I'm not too experienced. I used Etymotic HF5 previously, and it always felt lacking in some way - they had great detail and treble, but the bass was simply too weak even for classical and especially for the orchestra. Noble X fixed that. They don't have _that_ much detail (particularly in the heights), but they sound hell more natural. In particular, the violoncellos in an orchestra and the lower tones in piano fell into place, and listening is so much more engaging now. In fact, with a good recording, they sound pretty close to what I hear in a concert (I'm from Prague, Czech Republic; we have three world class orchestras here, so I visit live concerts pretty often :) ) .

I appreciate the response!

May 29, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #585 of 766
Am just using my X for the first two days. Today I put the balanced Silver dragon cable from moon audio on it and wowza. It sounds really glorious from the Liquid Carbon balanced. Now at home I will check how it sounds from the balanced output and card with the Hifiman 901 - so far, I am super impressed what we got for $249. Really impressive realism, female and male voices are sublime, lovely punch (with enough power) and a great soundstage...

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back