Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEMs Review / Preview
May 19, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #556 of 766
Just got mine in Canada. My last pair of IEMs were Sure se846. I got rid of them due to some tinnitis that I developed and switched to a Monitor Audio bookshelf+Sub 2.1 setup. Decided I wanted to grab a pair of cheaper IEMs to have for the gym with a laid-back sound signature that wouldn't need high volumes to enjoy.

Had to faff around with the tips to get a good fit--the housing is large for my ears but once they are in they're quite comfortable. The IEMs are super light similar to the the cable which is also very nice and light. I hated the shure cable--too thick and too heavy. Microphonics are non-existent. Isolation is excellent. They do stick out of my ears quite a bit so no sleeping with these. They look pretty damn cool too.

First thing that struck me was the soundstage--wider than I thought. Separation is great. Detail retrieval is great. They sound very nice and open to my surprise.

Overall I would say the sound signature is smooth. There is nothing that really stands out. I recall the the se846 sounded very mid-centric and the treble was rolled-off. The amount of detail retrieval was probably better going off memory in the se846 but nothing to complain about here. The treble here is more forward, closer to what I had with the treble filters (blue? I can't remember) in the shure. The bass is super tight and controlled. The weight is just right I think. Mimics the monitor audio sub quite nicely as that's my current benchmark--keeping in mind the sub cost 700$ alone and took days and days of faffing around with placement to optimize. Jungle/drum&bass sounds fantastic on these--groovy and punchy--just right and exactly what I was hoping for.

Pretty versatile pair of IEMs.

Anyone have any suggestions for tips? Complys? What do people use?

This is my first Noble, thanks for a high-value purchase MD and Noble. Very happy with my purchase!

May 19, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #557 of 766
Just got mine in Canada. My last pair of IEMs were Sure se846. I got rid of them due to some tinnitis that I developed and switched to a Monitor Audio bookshelf+Sub 2.1 setup. Decided I wanted to grab a pair of cheaper IEMs to have for the gym with a laid-back sound signature that wouldn't need high volumes to enjoy.

Had to faff around with the tips to get a good fit--the housing is large for my ears but once they are in they're quite comfortable. The IEMs are super light similar to the the cable which is also very nice and light. I hated the shure cable--too thick and too heavy. Microphonics are non-existent. Isolation is excellent. They do stick out of my ears quite a bit so no sleeping with these. They look pretty damn cool too.

First thing that struck me was the soundstage--wider than I thought. Separation is great. Detail retrieval is great. They sound very nice and open to my surprise.

Overall I would say the sound signature is smooth. There is nothing that really stands out. I recall the the se846 sounded very mid-centric and the treble was rolled-off. The amount of detail retrieval was probably better going off memory in the se846 but nothing to complain about here. The treble here is more forward, closer to what I had with the treble filters (blue? I can't remember) in the shure. The bass is super tight and controlled. The weight is just right I think. Mimics the monitor audio sub quite nicely as that's my current benchmark--keeping in mind the sub cost 700$ alone and took days and days of faffing around with placement to optimize. Jungle/drum&bass sounds fantastic on these--groovy and punchy--just right and exactly what I was hoping for.

Pretty versatile pair of IEMs.

This is my first Noble, thanks for a high-value purchase MD and Noble. Very happy with my purchase!

I've been using Auvio for a few years now, starting with the Fidue A83. I am very happy with them, they were previously sold through Radioshack but you may have to dig online for them. I just purchased some backups off of Ebay.

HiWxTzk.jpg

May 19, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #558 of 766

I use JVC spiral dots and order via Amazon from Japan several packs at a time, the Auvio's mentioned above I have used as well and they are a good lower cost alternative. and easier to find. Only thing to note is the Noble's has a fairly wide bore so make sure you do not buy narrow bore tips, most others will fit just be patient.

May 19, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #559 of 766
I usually like my large Auvio's however these X's seem to work well with the big bi=flange Trinity's. I find these better suited for low level listening being mid-centric but detail is superb Mr. Wiz:wink:

Noble X-Mass.JPG

May 19, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #560 of 766
????? this is some crazy stuff you are doing for the community @ $250
I own the Noble Kaiser K10Us and purchased the Noble Xs on a whim. A part of me just wanted to see whether the Massdrop experience would be positive or negative. Another part of me wanted to hear an entry level Noble IEM. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised by Massdrop and Noble. I ordered within the last end of the 500 or so X's and received the IEMs. No tariffs or taxes shipping to Canada. Just showed up in the mail. Now with respect to the Noble X IEMs. Wow. $250 we now know is the price we should be paying for quality in ears. Not $500 nor $750 for entry level models. What I hear is not worth the extra $1600US to have paid for the K10's. What I am hearing is ultra smooth mids, fabulous bass and some deep bass. Treble is lacking - but all inherent flaws for the most part can be fixed through equalization tweaking. No I don't mind tweaking the EQ. We all have different sound preferences hence the plethora of earphones at the same price points.

I have used the Chord Mojo through an LG G5 and an iPhone 7. I have also tried tried my trusty Audioquest Red with the iPhone for that spaghetti look that seems to be in vogue. Incredibly the Noble X even pairs well with my Neo Moon 230HAD which is a high en headphone ampifier/DSD DAC. Gobs of power yet sensitive enough to make the Noble X sound like $2500 IEMs! Now if we could only get some quality tube manufacturer like Woo Audio with something like the WA7 second version out for $499 we'd be looking at realistic markups. It's time to make the audio experience more of a win-win relationship between the consumer and manufacturer.

May 20, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #562 of 766
tmp_14291-20170520_100321681984278.jpg
This pairing is sounding absolutely fabulous!!

Last edited:
May 20, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #564 of 766
So far my favorite tips are the foamies that come with the Noble X. Does anyone know where I can get more? I know Noble sells a tip set but I was hoping to get just the foam instead of the whole tip set. I also noticed that these are already back on Massdrop. Great stuff!

May 20, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #565 of 766
A little confused here. Don't worry, happens once in a while. What exactly is the pairing to? Do you mean the left monitor to the right? jk

The Noble X and my questyle Qp1r

May 20, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #567 of 766
So far my favorite tips are the foamies that come with the Noble X. Does anyone know where I can get more? I know Noble sells a tip set but I was hoping to get just the foam instead of the whole tip set. I also noticed that these are already back on Massdrop. Great stuff!

I'm in the same boat. The large foam work pretty well for me but I'd like them just a little larger for a more secure fit. Unfortunately, they have already torn. They don't have any kind of plastic barrel inside them which I guess makes them prone to this. I've switched to some large Shure foam olives which generally work best for me. I've had to decore these and glue in a larger barrel inside. They don't fit as deep as the Noble foamies but I get a good seal and sound.

May 20, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #570 of 766
Could anyone comment on how these might compare - if at all - to RHA t20? I am a relative noob. Have some isine10s I really enjoy. After the those came in, the RHAs sounded lifeless and a little boring even though the blew me away at Brookstone. I also have P7 wireless which I prefer using wired. Wondering whether it'd be worth it to dump the T2os on eBay and upgrade here. Primary source would be smart phone with a dragonfly black over Tidal. Thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back