LZ Big Dipper impressions and discussions thread
May 9, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #31 of 173
The different prices are for an ever increasing number of switches that allow you to tailor the sound as you see fit.
Lowest price has no switches, next one up has one switch, next one two, most expensive version has three switches.
Each switch allows you to engage a boost in one frequency group (Hi, Mid, Low) and you, as the customer, choose which band(s) you want control of.
So if you only see yourself wanting to apply a mid-boost on occasion, then you could go for the second cheapest model and request that the switch is for mid-range.

I really appreciate your reply that clarifies the price discrepancy.

Let me be the first to say, as a long time LZ fan mind you, that this in my opinion is a huge misstep.

-Collin-

May 10, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #32 of 173
The different prices are for an ever increasing number of switches that allow you to tailor the sound as you see fit.
Lowest price has no switches, next one up has one switch, next one two, most expensive version has three switches.
Each switch allows you to engage a boost in one frequency group (Hi, Mid, Low) and you, as the customer, choose which band(s) you want control of.
So if you only see yourself wanting to apply a mid-boost on occasion, then you could go for the second cheapest model and request that the switch is for mid-range.
So besides the switches their is no difference in the sound or material or any other technical techniques between the cheapest and highest versions,????

May 15, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #33 of 173
So besides the switches their is no difference in the sound or material or any other technical techniques between the cheapest and highest versions,????
As far as I am aware (and I'm not a spokesperson, and not in contact with Lao Zhong) that is correct.

May 24, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #37 of 173
I loved the A4, but I think the cost on these is pricing them out of the market. I know I won't be buying a pair.

May 25, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #38 of 173
I'd almost be tempted in a fit of random curiosity, but for me to spend that much I'd pretty much need someone else to give impressions first, especially considering I already own a great universal IEM.

May 25, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #39 of 173
This is a thread created for LZ Big Dipper.

LZ made a2, a3, a3s, a4. This brand new 7 balanced armature cost around USD 830 (RMB 5500).

With 3 switch for low, mid, high range adjustment.

New impression and test would be added in this thread.

(Without cable, each side is 6.4g with stock tip)

Edited 2017/04/16 The price including all those accessories (metal box)

Frequency response of LZ Big Dipper.

Compared with A4, this new IEM is much better.

Balanced armature drivers usually have inharmonic sound.

I can not find anything wrong on this new IEM.

Edited 2017/04/16 add one more test

Testing environment is not 100% silent, might be the reason for those small island in low frequency range.

Compared to A4, the sound stage is much wider. (sorry for my poor English)

sub-mid range is smooth.

You can hear " a lot of " details with this new IEM.

Could you explain what kind of crossover of the seven drivers? Could you show us a picture of the crossover? Thanks.

May 25, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #40 of 173
I love LZ, but without local warranty support this is a tough sell.

To put it in perspective, no matter how good the dipper is, my Monoprice M1060 modded to the hilt only cost me about $370 and there is no way the dipper can match a Planar headphone. The M1060 has a 5 year warranty too.

The value isn't there. The A4 is a nice value (which could use a small price cut by now as well).

May 26, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #42 of 173
To be fair I haven't heard any IEM's yet that can match even good value $200 open headphones such as the Q701's or Fidelio X2's, as always ymmw.

May 26, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #43 of 173
To be fair I haven't heard any IEM's yet that can match even good value $200 open headphones such as the Q701's or Fidelio X2's, as always ymmw.

The only drawback of full-sized is they may not be as versatile when it comes to situations where you can use them.

May 26, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #45 of 173
I agree with the above and also with Peter. My Angies bury my Senn HD600 in just about every way but they're like 5 times the price.
This is a very exciting time for Chi-fi and for us. I have a pair of Gleam Audio DZ8 which comes close to the Angies, falls short in timbre and transients among other things but on the whole it puts up a good fight. It has a balanced signature with no significant dips or peaks and does so much right. It outclasses any 1, 2, 3, 4 driver iem I've heard. It falls short in the treble region against Angie but hey, it's more of a stage monitor than a reference monitor. The shells of the DZ8 looks like the same as the "Big Dipper" and they are very ergonomic, they've gotta be big to house the 8 drivers but they're very comfy. Much comfier than the gigantic Angies. I am hopeing the Big Dipper is a reference type of iem. If it is I might consider it. But if it is an $800-1000 fun kind of monitor I don't see the value. Some may disagree with this and that's fine. I am into reference sound at the moment.

Is it a mis-step? Won't know until the community starts reviewing them. I have faith in LZ but lately I've taken too many for the team lstely to set this wallet on fire again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back