LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 1, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #4,366 of 5,225
On a whim I swapped the black backs out for the blues and I quite like them! Yeah, it's way bass thin compared to the black filter but it's a fairly good representation of a neutral sound signature given the natural V-shape state of this hybrid driver. I could see why people think the blue back filter closes the soundstage, as it does feel like sound is coming from closer but with a little EQ I can attain my ideal FR, and that might be worth the trade-off

The black/gray is the Batman combo, then blue/gray has to be the Batman '66 combo.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #4,367 of 5,225
On a whim I swapped the black backs out for the blues and I quite like them! Yeah, it's way bass thin compared to the black filter but it's a fairly good representation of a neutral sound signature given the natural V-shape state of this hybrid driver. I could see why people think the blue back filter closes the soundstage, as it does feel like sound is coming from closer but with a little EQ I can attain my ideal FR, and that might be worth the trade-off

The black/gray is the Batman combo, then blue/gray has to be the Batman '66 combo.

Blue back should be paired with Black front. Call it the Nightwing

Jul 6, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #4,371 of 5,225
On another note, I've just started experiencing the channel imbalance that others have talked about. The left side just died on me and is almost inaudible for no apparent reason. I'll try what the others did....just leave it overnight and see what happens. A bit disconcerting though.

Jul 6, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #4,372 of 5,225
On another note, I've just started experiencing the channel imbalance that others have talked about. The left side just died on me and is almost inaudible for no apparent reason. I'll try what the others did....just leave it overnight and see what happens. A bit disconcerting though.

Seems to be some sort of a "heat / humidity" issue.
If you can place the earphones in a cool, dry place (maybe with some desiccant), it may clear up more quickly.

Jul 7, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #4,374 of 5,225
Hey guys i wanna buy a new cable for the lz a4, should i buy balanced or not? whats the difference? im pretty sure that my output is not balanced (a crappy meizu m2 phone, and thats what ill be using for the next year).
how many cores? silver plated?
IM CONFUSSEEDDDD :frowning2:
edit: 50$ budget btw

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #4,375 of 5,225
can anyone recommend a iem that sounds like a4? i really dig the sound but isolation is a deal breaker. i cannot use it while commuting.

I've had these for two months and the now the left headphone is going in and out. If I touch the cable in a certain location the sound comes back. I've been babying them keeping them in a pocket by themselves. Too bad. The sound signature is real nice. Would anybody have a recommendation for a similar sound signature with really good isolation. I use the NYC subway and want to hear nothing but my heartbeat and music :) I've been eyeing the se 846's. Would I be wise to pick up a pair?

Jul 8, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #4,376 of 5,225
I've had these for two months and the now the left headphone is going in and out. If I touch the cable in a certain location the sound comes back. I've been babying them keeping them in a pocket by themselves. Too bad. The sound signature is real nice. Would anybody have a recommendation for a similar sound signature with really good isolation. I use the NYC subway and want to hear nothing but my heartbeat and music :) I've been eyeing the se 846's. Would I be wise to pick up a pair?
its a cable problem most likely, have the same prob, other cable works.
those mmcx are so unreliable...

Jul 11, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #4,377 of 5,225
Hey guys i wanna buy a new cable for the lz a4, should i buy balanced or not? whats the difference? im pretty sure that my output is not balanced (a ****ty meizu m2 phone, and thats what ill be using for the next year).
how many cores? silver plated?
IM CONFUSSEEDDDD :frowning2:
edit: 50$ budget btw

OK! Balanced means the plug will be different, with four points of contact instead of three on a regular stereo jack. Also, typically, it will be 2.5mm instead of 3.5 so will not work in a regular headphone socket. If you do not have a source with a balanced output, there is no point buying a balanced cable. It would be like buying a top quality HDMI cable and your TV only has SCART or phono inputs.

You'll want a multi core (8 or 16 I would guess) Silver plated Copper cable. Others here will be able to guide you to some good choices. I buy on TaoBao, so probably useless for you. Good luck finding a nice cable, it will make a difference!

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #4,378 of 5,225
OK! Balanced means the plug will be different, with four points of contact instead of three on a regular stereo jack. Also, typically, it will be 2.5mm instead of 3.5 so will not work in a regular headphone socket. If you do not have a source with a balanced output, there is no point buying a balanced cable. It would be like buying a top quality HDMI cable and your TV only has SCART or phono inputs.

You'll want a multi core (8 or 16 I would guess) Silver plated Copper cable. Others here will be able to guide you to some good choices. I buy on TaoBao, so probably useless for you. Good luck finding a nice cable, it will make a difference!
Thanks bro
What would be better 8 or 16 cores? What does that even mean whats the difference?

Jul 13, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #4,379 of 5,225
Thanks bro
What would be better 8 or 16 cores? What does that even mean whats the difference?

As far as I understand it, the more cumulative cable diameter you have, the less resistance to signal you incur. This, plus the better, more conductive material, means you get a better definition signal to the drivers in your earphones. Hopefully, if I'm wrong, someone will correct me!

Jul 13, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #4,380 of 5,225
As far as I understand it, the more cumulative cable diameter you have, the less resistance to signal you incur. This, plus the better, more conductive material, means you get a better definition signal to the drivers in your earphones. Hopefully, if I'm wrong, someone will correct me!

It's electrical resistance - can affect volume, and might affect frequency if impedance changes - but otherwise can't affect "the definition of the signal".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back