Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Jun 22, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #11,101 of 13,434
Thanks to both of you for the very speedy replies.

I'm in no hurry since it'll take at least a month for the breadboard to arrive. I'll keep cheking ebay and when I see nothing comes along, I'll try to find some time to make two of my own.

Greetings

Jan Mestdagh

Jun 28, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #11,103 of 13,434
Quick question, are the power tubes for the LD III+ the same as the Mk III?

My power tubes are starting to give me some issues on the LD III+ with buzzing and occasional absence of sound from one channel. I'm trying to find the specs for replacements.

It appears that the LD III+ was manufactured around 10 years ago and as best as I can determine, it came with 4P1L / 4L1S / RL2 / 4P6 installed as power tubes. Unfortunately, the current MK III uses very different tubes.

If my conclusions are correct, search eBay for 4P1L.

Good luck!

Jun 28, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #11,104 of 13,434
It appears that the LD III+ was manufactured around 10 years ago and as best as I can determine, it came with 4P1L / 4L1S / RL2 / 4P6 installed as power tubes. Unfortunately, the current MK III uses very different tubes.

If my conclusions are correct, search eBay for 4P1L.

Good luck!

I was surprised to find the rather odd configuration from the power tubes and have the nagging suspicion that it's not the same as the Mk III. Thanks for pointing me with the right configuration.
Apparently the stock tube were Beijing made 4P1S. I'd probably get something similar from taobao (cheap!), and message sword_yang to see if there's other compatible tubes for the model.

And yar, I'd gotten my LD III+ for ten years now and it's still running fine (except for the recent problem with the power tube). So the craftmanship is definitely something to write home about. :D

Jul 15, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #11,105 of 13,434
Hi to you all.

First of all let me thank you all for this amazing thread about the Little Dot.
My adventure started with a USB DAC 2 weeks ago, that in the last 3 to 4 days, with the help from this thread made me jump to a CHORD Mojo, a pair of YU6 Speakers, and a LD MK 2 !! ( USB DAC sent back )
I need to stop reading it, or I'll end up living under the bridge lol !

I was quite impressed with the Stock Tubes,very good sound indeed.
Got a new pair of CV4015 already installed, and I'm waiting for the Power Tubes 6N6P, and a pair of driver tubes 6J1P-EV to arrive.
Will replace the Power ones with the 6N6P, but not sure about the driver ones, as I'm really loving the clarity of the sound from the CV4015.
Can be on the speaker or the K702 headphones, the sound is just crazy.
LD MK2 gives the valve/tube touch to the already super amazing Mojo sound.
It's like listening to an all new collection of music !

Ok, this, was really to just say Thank you all !!

:)

20170712_141317.png

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #11,106 of 13,434
After your instructions, I made some tube adapters and soldered some wires, which I connected to the breadboard. Confirmed working on Hifiman EF2A! I do need to dial up the (normally immensely overpowered ) gain to around the maximum as well as the volume on my Macbook to get a decent output on my Sennheiser HD800's.

I suspect the tube could use some extra power since it doesn't get anywhere near warm and doesn't give off any glow.

ojmalv.jpg

Jul 16, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #11,108 of 13,434
I do not suggest leaving those exposed metals/terminals like that LETHAL VOLTAGE/CURRENT is flowing through those terminals.Be safe!
The EF2A runs off of a 16V wall wart, there is nothing lethal on those pins... :wink:

Jul 16, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #11,109 of 13,434
After your instructions, I made some tube adapters and soldered some wires, which I connected to the breadboard. Confirmed working on Hifiman EF2A! I do need to dial up the (normally immensely overpowered ) gain to around the maximum as well as the volume on my Macbook to get a decent output on my Sennheiser HD800's.

I suspect the tube could use some extra power since it doesn't get anywhere near warm and doesn't give off any glow.

ojmalv.jpg
It's hard to say what the issue is without knowing what the new tube is or how you have it wired, the tubes in the EF2A are only preamp tubes as it is a hybrid amp.
I am surprised you use it with the HD800's, I read that the amp has some really bad channel separation and a poor volume control.

Jul 17, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #11,111 of 13,434
I just got a really nice deal on the amp, just like I did on th HD800's. It was my first experience with tubes and I really like it, even tho I know the volume control has WAY too much gain. Channel seperation is decent enough for me, but then again I have nothing better to compare it too.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a Schiit Lyr or Valhalla or a Little Dot MKIII. I'm just waiting for a good deal somewhere, preferably second hand. I just don't have the deep pockets some of the people on this board seem to have :p

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #11,112 of 13,434
Hi to you all.

First of all let me thank you all for this amazing thread about the Little Dot.
My adventure started with a USB DAC 2 weeks ago, that in the last 3 to 4 days, with the help from this thread made me jump to a CHORD Mojo, a pair of YU6 Speakers, and a LD MK 2 !! ( USB DAC sent back )
I need to stop reading it, or I'll end up living under the bridge lol !

I was quite impressed with the Stock Tubes,very good sound indeed.
Got a new pair of CV4015 already installed, and I'm waiting for the Power Tubes 6N6P, and a pair of driver tubes 6J1P-EV to arrive.
Will replace the Power ones with the 6N6P, but not sure about the driver ones, as I'm really loving the clarity of the sound from the CV4015.
Can be on the speaker or the K702 headphones, the sound is just crazy.
LD MK2 gives the valve/tube touch to the already super amazing Mojo sound.
It's like listening to an all new collection of music !

Ok, this, was really to just say Thank you all !!

:)

20170712_141317.png
If you are new to this "tube" thing watch out...I thought I was addicted to headphones until I discovered tubes... very very dangerous
Glad to see you are liking the MK 2. I've had a 1+ for years (and thanks to this forum I've gone through quite a few opamps and rolled endless numbers of tubes). That led me to the Dark Voice where I discovered the wonders of the 6SN7 family of tubes.

I purchased a MK2 on a whim from Massdrop about a year ago. I swapped out the power tubes for a pair of Novo 6N6p-IR's (again thanks to this forum) and planned on using it as a bedroom amp. I have to say, I was initially underwhelmed...until...I read about the c3g tube (search this forum for an in-depth discussion).

The c3g tube (used as a driver tube with a c3g to 6AK5 converter, which is readily available on eBay) is beyond phenomenal. Shockingly good. Blows away ANY driver tube I've used for the Little Dots (including the Sylvania gold pins or Voshkods).

While I prefer the Darkvoice for my HD650's, the MK2 with the c3g tubed has become my amp of choice for many of my other headphones. The k702's pairs especially well. Even my heavily modded Fostex TR50rp's sound fantastic (with the exception of the MK2 with the c3g tubes, I've found that planar magnetic and orthodynamic headphones do not pair well with tubes).

The c3g tubes are pricey (there are some on eBay at the moment for $99... I've gotten them for as low as $65) and the adapters add about another $35. While I generally wouldn't recommend spending so much on a pair of tubes for an amp that costs around $130, I STRONGLY recommend the investment (as others in this forum have). The c3g tubes are very special and unique tubes that will pay off in spades.

BTW... while I have few posts to my name I am an avid reader of many forums here. I greatly appreciate what so many of you have taught me (although my wallet, wife and fatigued mind and body... from lack of sleep...do not :smile_phones: ).

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #11,113 of 13,434
I too Bought the C3g's after reading this thread, it has been really hot here in the UK lately so I stopped using the LD MK11 to keep the room temp down.

The next morning I woke to listen to music even though the night before I felt like the music sounded fine something was not pulling me into the music.

Fired up the LD MK2 with the C3g's and there is was music playing at me from in front of my head like a speaker in that liquid 3D format I was amazed once more.

So glad I read this thread and recommend them to anyone who has the chance to try them, music is my life and this has made music listening so much sweeter.

Jul 21, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #11,114 of 13,434
If you are new to this "tube" thing watch out...I thought I was addicted to headphones until I discovered tubes... very very dangerous
Glad to see you are liking the MK 2. I've had a 1+ for years (and thanks to this forum I've gone through quite a few opamps and rolled endless numbers of tubes). That led me to the Dark Voice where I discovered the wonders of the 6SN7 family of tubes.

I purchased a MK2 on a whim from Massdrop about a year ago. I swapped out the power tubes for a pair of Novo 6N6p-IR's (again thanks to this forum) and planned on using it as a bedroom amp. I have to say, I was initially underwhelmed...until...I read about the c3g tube (search this forum for an in-depth discussion).

The c3g tube (used as a driver tube with a c3g to 6AK5 converter, which is readily available on eBay) is beyond phenomenal. Shockingly good. Blows away ANY driver tube I've used for the Little Dots (including the Sylvania gold pins or Voshkods).

While I prefer the Darkvoice for my HD650's, the MK2 with the c3g tubed has become my amp of choice for many of my other headphones. The k702's pairs especially well. Even my heavily modded Fostex TR50rp's sound fantastic (with the exception of the MK2 with the c3g tubes, I've found that planar magnetic and orthodynamic headphones do not pair well with tubes).

The c3g tubes are pricey (there are some on eBay at the moment for $99... I've gotten them for as low as $65) and the adapters add about another $35. While I generally wouldn't recommend spending so much on a pair of tubes for an amp that costs around $130, I STRONGLY recommend the investment (as others in this forum have). The c3g tubes are very special and unique tubes that will pay off in spades.

BTW... while I have few posts to my name I am an avid reader of many forums here. I greatly appreciate what so many of you have taught me (although my wallet, wife and fatigued mind and body... from lack of sleep...do not :smile_phones: ).

Ok, decided !

This forum thread will be my complete ruin ! haha

Thank you for your advice, and be sure that Ill take a look onto what you just said. :wink:

At the moment I have installed on my MKII,
the 6N6P Power valves – NOS Soviet from 1979 and the USSR military spec 6J1P-EV Voskhod from 1987.
I'm giving the CV4015 MULLARD NOS a free holidays. :)

Once again, thank you all !

My Mojo, with this fella and the YU6 speakers are a match made in heaven !

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back