Let's build Krmathis a Beta22!
Jun 16, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #556 of 590
I agree, this is an extremely nice build (which I am largely basing mine upon.) However, I have been trying to get a quote from Par-Metal and the customer service has been disappointing to say the least. I ordered a case for another project from Hifi2000 and the service was great, even though they are on the other side of the world.

Is this typical of Par-Metal? I will probably go with a Galaxy-style enclosure if I don't hear back.

Jeff

Jun 16, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #557 of 590
yes same here. i got tired and got a lansing graybox b enclousre instead
smily_headphones1.gif
they are located in jersey so mite be faster shipping and they give a 15 percent discount for first time buyers
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #559 of 590
I just saw this thread, great idea!
Congrats krmathis, hope you're enjoying it.
Now, let's build guyx1992 a Beta22!
wink.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #560 of 590
I followed this thread lightly earlier on in my membership, during the period of time when I had no idea what a Beta22, K1000, nor even a krmathis was! :p
And due to my recent acquisition of a broken wrist; and the subsequent time, I read through this entire thread yesterday. It was still a great journey and was really awesome seeing the cooperation and generosity of all involved. It's inspired me to gather all the information I can on the Beta22 design so I can build one myself (I'm planning ahead though, estimated build start 2012 haha
biggrin.gif
), and no that wasn't a hint.

When I first perused the thread in real-time I didn't realise there was intention of this happening again. As a sort of Head-Fi specialty and I had some thoughts:
  1. I think it should only happen once every 6 months at the least.
  2. It should be spearheaded each time by different people if possible; AMB, amphead and the countless other involved put alot of effort and done a simply amazing job but the onus should not be on them to offer time, money or skill. Unless of course they volunteer, which would result in many cheers and another spectacular build.
  3. I've had a few ideas on eligibility, either:
  • It is a nomination based raffle, if somebody thinks you are eligible your name is put in the raffle. Anonymity possible if required.
  • It's a $5 ticket per raffle, all funds go to build costs like krmathis' build. Leftover funds either go to Head-Fi or carry over to the next build.
  1. This build was ideal because krathis had expressed his interest in a B22 prior to the build, however, if another build is born have the possibility of different DIY projects available within the community. This could help taking pressure off AMB by including a Twisted Pear Buffalo DAC or a Kevin Gilmore Dynahi. (many others out there.)
That's all I can think of now, other then a very belated congratulations to everyone involved on this build.
beerchug.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #562 of 590
Would it be possible to build one akin to this but add single-ended?

I would love to have the option of Balanced but still have SE. Thanks!

Jun 17, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #564 of 590
SingleEnded is K1K though not 1/4 right?

Jun 17, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #565 of 590
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SingleEnded is K1K though not 1/4 right?

K1K's use a 4-pin XLR (balanced), not a single ended 1/4''. Unless, of course, you REALLY wanted to reterminate them into an inferior connection...

Jun 17, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #566 of 590
Quote:

Would it be possible to build one akin to this but add single-ended?

I would love to have the option of Balanced but still have SE. Thanks!

You have a few options, if you want to do this
smily_headphones1.gif

1) Simply use 4 boards as you normally would, and wire the L+/R+ boards to a 1/4'' jack in parallel with the XLR(s). This will give you a single SE jack, with a passive ground

2) Do the same with the R-/L-, and build an inverter. This way, you could have dual SE jacks, both with a passive ground.

3) Build a 6-channel B22!!! 4 used in balanced mode, with the option of dual SE, each with an active ground channel. This is what all the cool kids build, details for it are on AMB's site
icon10.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #567 of 590
Holy Methusilah! I woudn't have believed it unless I saw it with my own eyes. This thread was resurrected, from its former resting place. Well I can certainly understand your interest in the balanced Beta22, with all of these bells and whistles. This was a one-off which may or may not ever be done again. It takes alot of genius on the part of an amplifier designer who can contribute to an effort of this type and a lot of hutspah on the part of many generous participants to achieve anything like this. Thank you for your interest but Amb and myself will indeed leave it for another person to create an ambitious effort of this type. :wink:

Jun 18, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #568 of 590
Doug KRMATHIS said he can plug SE into his dual XLR and have 2 headphones connected so the center hole on XLR is 1/4? I am seriously thinking about the 6 board one.

Jun 18, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #569 of 590
Quote:

Doug KRMATHIS said he can plug SE into his dual XLR and have 2 headphones connected so the center hole on XLR is 1/4? I am seriously thinking about the 6 board one.

indeed, those types of combination jacks are quite popular in the pro audio world - definitely not difficult to come by at all!

Jun 18, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #570 of 590
Quote:

I am seriously thinking about the 6 board one.

I'd love to see a 6ch build and all but Krmathis' build is only 4ch, so you should be able to wire it up the same and save yourself two boards and probably another Sigma.

Your decision...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back