Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 23, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #17,776 of 63,928
To all of you folks asking about these upgrade cables. I noticed that the ZS5 cable looks 100% identical to the ZS3 cable (not ZST, but ZS3). So they should be interchangeable (gold ZS5 cable on ZS3, stock ZS3 cable on ZS5, silver ZS3 upgrade cable on ZS5, stock ZS5 cable on ZS3, etc). You can buy the ZS3 silver upgrade cable by itself for as cheap as just under $5. So don't fret if you forgot to order the ZS5 with an upgrade cable - just pick one up separately if you wish. I've seen them on ebay a few times where the price was cheaper than aliexpress.

Something to keep in the back of your mind...

May 23, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #17,777 of 63,928
The ZS5 and ZS3 wire housing are the same. I mentioned this in my quick review as well.
The silver ZS3 cable has been around for a while, but the gold one is new, hence my reason for getting the gold bundle as the silver one is easy to pick up later if needed.

May 23, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #17,778 of 63,928
OK I tried it on my desktop PC with ASUS supremefx audio (ESS DAC + amp) with low and high gain (up to 600 ohms), no difference. With my HiFiman HE400s the high gain does make an impact (rich and faster bass), but with my experience with IEMs the extra power really doesn't do much at least for my ears. So @1clearhead you might indeed have a dud.

As for the silver/gold upgrade, to my ears the gold cable sounds the same as the stock cable. It looks nicer though and the wire feels better (the stock is a slightly sticky rubber) and softer, great option if you don't need the mic.
Usually on taobao the sellers sell the upgrade cable bundle cheaper than getting the upgrade cable separately, if that's the case I would suggest to do it since 1. it's hard to find 3rd party cables for KZ, as the pins are standard 0.75mm but the housing is proprietary and 2. it's pretty cheap anyway and always nice to have a back up cable. Also if you decide to remove the metal memory wire like me, I have some concerns on the wire relief near the earbud side, so best to have a spare cable just in case.

As with the ZS3 and ZST, getting the upgrade cable option should mean you get BOTH the stock and upgrade cables. Especially with the ZS5 where the stock cable is inside the box with the earbuds, while the upgrade cable is in a separate box.
Also, blue ZS5 + gold just looks fantastic...I just wish the upgrade cables had mics as well which I do use frequently...
Thanks! I'll definitely see if I can exchange them -ASAP! :beerchug:

May 23, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #17,783 of 63,928
OK, thanks to 'ricemanhk' I was able to exchange them and will be receiving the blue ZS5 as well by the end of the week.

....if finally, QC doesn't become a factor? I will probably recommend these as some of the best budget hybrids money can buy. So, I'm hoping the next round shipped isn't a dud. Fingers crossed!

May 23, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #17,786 of 63,928
Are there any sellers on Ali that actually have these in stock and are shipping immediately..seems like all are taking preorders but none are shipping yet??
yes, thats true but few days ago some of them shipped some quantity and few buyers already got their products..maybe they are currently out of stock and waiting for the next lot..lets see when they can ship..

May 23, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #17,787 of 63,928
China website Taobao still have stock, just no gold cable.

So far my set have no problem with IEM or gold cable.

May 23, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #17,789 of 63,928
Are there any sellers on Ali that actually have these in stock and are shipping immediately..seems like all are taking preorders but none are shipping yet??
Yes there are..
The one I mentioned above will do quick shipping afaik. Had good experience with him. Also if you ask and tell him you are on headfi he'll provide good discount.
You can pm me if you want to know the price I purchased for.

May 23, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #17,790 of 63,928

Mine shipped on the 19th (I ordered during the $10 discount pre-order period). I'm awaiting its arrival.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back