FiiO K5 || FiiO's docking desktop amp
May 4, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #676 of 744
I think that the main reason why it turns off after some time with no usage is to avoid trick charging and to make sure you're not forgetting it plugged in or that it doesn't amplify silence.

Either way, you could just lower the volume to zero when it is docked instead of pausing a track, or pause the song in F2K and let a Youtube file play at zero volume. This should make the system work to your liking.

May 5, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #677 of 744
Why should it turn off after fully charge?

This is my scenario:
X3 ii is docked on K5
Music is being played
Music is paused
X3 ii turns off after some inactivity.

So i cannot just resume the music. I will have to restart the X3 ii

Dear maheeinfy,

The turning off feature is designed to act like that.

But does your X3II turn off before fully charge? Maybe you can check did you turn on the sleep or idle standby function?

You can choose the resume mode you prefer from play settings.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 27, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #678 of 744
I'm interested in getting a K5 as a standalone headphone amp, to connect to a standalone DAC that I already have via the RCA line ins, then connecting the K5's RCA line out to my stereo receiver for when I want to use speakers.

I'm curious, in this configuration, does the RCA line out function this way? or is that only if the K5 has a Fiio device docked?

Basically does the RCA line in pass through the signal to the RCA line out?

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #679 of 744
I'm interested in getting a K5 as a standalone headphone amp, to connect to a standalone DAC that I already have via the RCA line ins, then connecting the K5's RCA line out to my stereo receiver for when I want to use speakers.

I'm curious, in this configuration, does the RCA line out function this way? or is that only if the K5 has a Fiio device docked?

The line in to line out is a pass through not using the internal amp. The K5 amp is only going to work with headphone out.

May 28, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #680 of 744

You'd be best to go from the DACs line out to the stereo's line in.

May 28, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #683 of 744
All you need is a 3.5mm to dual RCA Y-cable.

I don't know if I've explained what I mean properly.

I have a SMSL Sanskrit dac with RCA outs, I want to go Sanskrit > Fiio K5 line in > K5 Line out to stereo receiver. As a permanent desktop setup.

No splitters or cable swapping, when I want to use the headphone amp the stereo receiver will be turned off, when I want to use the stereo, the K5's volume can just be turned down. (or be powered off, if it supports passing the signal through without being powered on..)

I don't see any reason why this won't work, as I believe its why amps have the rca line output in the first place. I was just curious if there was some oddity with the line out since the K5 is aimed at being fed from a docked Fiio device, and I won't be using it that way.

May 28, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #684 of 744
I don't know if I've explained what I mean properly.

I have a SMSL Sanskrit dac with RCA outs, I want to go Sanskrit > Fiio K5 line in > K5 Line out to stereo receiver. As a permanent desktop setup.

No splitters or cable swapping, when I want to use the headphone amp the stereo receiver will be turned off, when I want to use the stereo, the K5's volume can just be turned down. (or be powered off, if it supports passing the signal through without being powered on..)

I don't see any reason why this won't work, as I believe its why amps have the rca line output in the first place. I was just curious if there was some oddity with the line out since the K5 is aimed at being fed from a docked Fiio device, and I won't be using it that way.

I have no idea if the K5 supports line out with the volume off. But otherwise, you can use the K5 as you describe. The line out should work just fine.

Jun 9, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #686 of 744
Does anyone know if the USB in on the back can be used as a audio source connected to a laptop when the dock is not used and the K5 is used purely as an amplifier?
Any help is much appreciated ☺️

Jun 9, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #687 of 744
Does anyone know if the USB in on the back can be used as a audio source connected to a laptop when the dock is not used and the K5 is used purely as an amplifier?
Any help is much appreciated ☺️
When you dont have anything inserted on the dock, there is no device to function as the DAC. So connecting usb cable from your laptop into USB port on the back of K5 is not going to do anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back