iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
May 16, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #7,877 of 9,047
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm testing your theory to see if you are in fact correct.

It's also covered in the user manual: http://ifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/data/manual/micro_iDSD_Manual.pdf

When in battery mode, if you stop listening to music the iDSD will go to sleep after a short time (indicated by a green blinking LED). In this state it will recharge the battery (provided USB power is available). As soon as you start music, it will wake up again and is then not charging. Battery life depends on power (gain) mode and volume but even used just as a DAC, after 10 or so straight hours playing it will go flat.

May 23, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #7,878 of 9,047
Does anyone know if you can use Poweramp as a music player when listening through USB to the Micro BL? I've found a great remote control app which allows me to browse and play files through Poweramp via my Smartwatch.

May 23, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #7,879 of 9,047
Does anyone know if you can use Poweramp as a music player when listening through USB to the Micro BL? I've found a great remote control app which allows me to browse and play files through Poweramp via my Smartwatch.
I think it depends on you DAP. Different DAP has different implementation. I know DP-X1 will not work this way.

May 23, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #7,880 of 9,047
May 24, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #7,881 of 9,047
Ok, so I've just found out my main phone, Xperia xa, won't work with the BL at all, even using UAPP. Thankfully I have other devices which will work, but it is frustrating. If it's advertised to work with android, then it should on every android device, and also without having to resort to spending extra on special apps.
Dodgy to say the least.

May 24, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #7,882 of 9,047
Ok, so I've just found out my main phone, Xperia xa, won't work with the BL at all, even using UAPP. Thankfully I have other devices which will work, but it is frustrating. If it's advertised to work with android, then it should on every android device, and also without having to resort to spending extra on special apps.
Dodgy to say the least.

The fault here is not with the iDSD...it's with you phone. Not all Android have the USB-host functionality. Luckily for you the XA does have it. Did you perhaps recently do a software update? It's likely that you'll need to go into the settings and enable USB audio

May 24, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #7,883 of 9,047
The fault here is not with the iDSD...it's with you phone. Not all Android have the USB-host functionality. Luckily for you the XA does have it. Did you perhaps recently do a software update? It's likely that you'll need to go into the settings and enable USB audio
Thanks for the response.
Any idea how to do this on the xa? I've tried a few settings in developer options with no success.

May 24, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #7,884 of 9,047
May 28, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #7,887 of 9,047
I have an iFi IDSD Micro that will not charge. I have tried the iFi suggested power cycles without success.

I have already paid for one out of warranty repair and the Canadian authorized depot that did the repair for me last time, suggests that it would not be economical to repair and offered me a discount of $50 off the new version.

I am wondering if the battery is easily sourced and replaced, and if anyone has done this?

May 28, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #7,888 of 9,047
I have an iFi IDSD Micro that will not charge. I have tried the iFi suggested power cycles without success.

I have already paid for one out of warranty repair and the Canadian authorized depot that did the repair for me last time, suggests that it would not be economical to repair and offered me a discount of $50 off the new version.

I am wondering if the battery is easily sourced and replaced, and if anyone has done this?

Woah

What happened?

You kept it charging for all the time you used it?

The batteries should be possible to replace, but like any product, one you open it, you might lose the warranty.

@iFi audio might have some advice or a series for the battery to help you out, but I am curious why the battery stopped charging since mine has been used daily and doesn't show a single sign of usage.

May 28, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #7,889 of 9,047
Woah

What happened?

You kept it charging for all the time you used it?

The batteries should be possible to replace, but like any product, one you open it, you might lose the warranty.

@iFi audio might have some advice or a series for the battery to help you out, but I am curious why the battery stopped charging since mine has been used daily and doesn't show a single sign of usage.

I have reached out to iFi. It did completely discharge. It was plugged into a usb hub that was inadvertently unplugged and I hadn't used it in several weeks.

Ifi suggested using the blue usb cable included and following a cycle of charge for 2 hours, unplug, repeat, which didn't help.

Just rapidly flashes Blue. Unit is out of warranty and already had to replace the main board in an out of warranty repair.

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #7,890 of 9,047
I have reached out to iFi. It did completely discharge. It was plugged into a usb hub that was inadvertently unplugged and I hadn't used it in several weeks.

Ifi suggested using the blue usb cable included and following a cycle of charge for 2 hours, unplug, repeat, which didn't help.

Just rapidly flashes Blue. Unit is out of warranty and already had to replace the main board in an out of warranty repair.

Oh, I see.

So what happened was a complete discharge. This is something that would damage almost all batteries out there... If you're looking for a spare battery, someone who disassembled an iDSD might be able to help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back