iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression
Feb 3, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #1,757 of 2,063
If you don't want the headphone amp then get the latest smsl m8 which can now process dsd256. Explore the differences when all music is up sampled in real time to dsd256. This means you need a dual core CPU 3ghz or higher.

Feb 4, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #1,758 of 2,063
Also consider the nano iDSD LE. It loses the filter selection (it uses 'Minimum Phase') and the coaxial digital output and limits DSD to DSD128 but is otherwise comparable and quite a bit cheaper.

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/nano-idsd-le/

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #1,760 of 2,063
I'd like to ask if the new iFi Nano iDSD LE shares the same volume control pot behavior of the original Nano?
I owned one and I remember when using iems there were a lot of imbalance and was nearly unusable with sensitive iems. This has been improved?

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #1,761 of 2,063
Saw a tweet by ifi that it's no. 1 in Japan. Would be nice to hear some feedback from any recent owner. Especially if they had the original nano to compare.

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #1,762 of 2,063
  Saw a tweet by ifi that it's no. 1 in Japan. Would be nice to hear some feedback from any recent owner. Especially if they had the original nano to compare.

​I've never owned an ifi dac before.  But I do have the ifi Nano DSD LE dac and I can say it's a treat for $129 total.  I bought it as a backup for my Chord Hugo out on repairs, and I can say it rivals the musicality of the Hugo at 1/20th the cost, not as detailed or as big a stage presence but I love it's overall simplicity. 
I do recommend as a desktop powering with an Uptone LPS-1 thru a Regen or similar.  Has better SQ than powering by the battery.

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #1,763 of 2,063

​I've never owned an ifi dac before.  But I do have the ifi Nano DSD LE dac and I can say it's a treat for $129 total.  I bought it as a backup for my Chord Hugo out on repairs, and I can say it rivals the musicality of the Hugo at 1/20th the cost, not as detailed or as big a stage presence but I love it's overall simplicity. 
I do recommend as a desktop powering with an Uptone LPS-1 thru a Regen or similar.  Has better SQ than powering by the battery.

That's great to hear. From your experience, it sounds quite similar to the previous iDSD Nano which I have as a simple secondary unit. It's less detailed compared to my other DAC, but I still find it very clean and has a nice sparkle to it. And its fuller, more musical delivery has got me using it almost every day. A iPurifier 2 behind it helps clean the power a bit but I doubt it comes close to the LPS-1+Regen combo you have. Wish the LE was around earlier. Same good SQ but less $.

Mar 9, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #1,764 of 2,063
I have the iFi iDSD nano LE, and the Schiit Modi2, and the iFi blows the Schiit out of the water.

I paid $99 for the Modi2, and then purchased the SYS passive Pre-Amp for $45.

The nano LE has a headphone amp built in, but by far it is the Burr-Brown chipset that makes the considerable difference. You might add the iPurifier2 into the mix to get the maximum signal SQ.

The "Computer Audiophile on the Cheap" system includes both the iFi iPurifier2 and the nano LE as "Must Buy" tweaks to the system. I use the Modi2 on a laptop back in the bedroom to decode YouTubes....

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #1,766 of 2,063
Any other feedback from new users of the Nano iDSD LE? I was informed this is the replacement product for the original Nano iDSD, so if anyone has comparisons between the non-LE and the LE that would be helpful. Do you miss any of the features from the original Nano iDSD?

Specifically, I am wondering about the use of the LE with IEMs (similar to a previous user). Is there any issue with background hiss? How much of the volume pot are you able to utilize? Do you think the iEMatch product is required for use with this?

I have Shure SE425s, and am considering this product versus the Audioquest Dragonfly Red, so if anyone owns both, comparisons would be great! I am looking for a "transportable" solution for travel to and from the office with potential occasional use at home. The pros for the Dragonfly seem to be the compact form factor and not having to worry about recharging a battery, while the pros for the iFi seem to be: less/no battery drain on the phone, higher sampling rate support, external volume knob (if that is important to you), lower cost (even if adding in additional iEMatch).

Thanks for the feedback!

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #1,767 of 2,063
  Any other feedback from new users of the Nano iDSD LE? I was informed this is the replacement product for the original Nano iDSD, so if anyone has comparisons between the non-LE and the LE that would be helpful. Do you miss any of the features from the original Nano iDSD?

Specifically, I am wondering about the use of the LE with IEMs (similar to a previous user). Is there any issue with background hiss? How much of the volume pot are you able to utilize? Do you think the iEMatch product is required for use with this?

Thanks for the feedback!

I owned the original non-LE, with sensitive iems I had problems with imbalance-volume pot. The volume is some kind of hybrid volume analog-digital steps, as a result poor accuracy gain control, again I'm talking of iems.

Later, I owned the Micro iDSD and it really worked perfectly with iems with all the tweaks to reduce gain, but for me (might be the only one) I always liked the sound of nano than micro.

Mar 30, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #1,768 of 2,063

I owned the original non-LE, with sensitive iems I had problems with imbalance-volume pot. The volume is some kind of hybrid volume analog-digital steps, as a result poor accuracy gain control, again I'm talking of iems.

Later, I owned the Micro iDSD and it really worked perfectly with iems with all the tweaks to reduce gain, but for me (might be the only one) I always liked the sound of nano than micro.

Thanks for the feedback! This is very helpful. My IEMs are Shure SE425s- not as sensitive as others on the market, but still wanted to check. Do you think iEMatch is necessary to use with Nano LE? I'm weighing the Nano LE, Oppo HA2-SE, or maybe even the Micro iDSD, but don't know at what level it becomes overkill for the price when you look at the IEMs I have?

Mar 31, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #1,769 of 2,063

Thanks for the feedback! This is very helpful. My IEMs are Shure SE425s- not as sensitive as others on the market, but still wanted to check. Do you think iEMatch is necessary to use with Nano LE? I'm weighing the Nano LE, Oppo HA2-SE, or maybe even the Micro iDSD, but don't know at what level it becomes overkill for the price when you look at the IEMs I have?

Well, the problem is that the Nanos doesn't have IEMatch, only the Micro.
Keep in mind that I tend to listen music below average volume and the Nano with my UM3x was barely usable, really good sound but without path to adjust volume, from imbalance to too loud.

The new Nano LE is advertised with analog volume maybe there has been some improvements in this regard.

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #1,770 of 2,063
The new Nano LE is advertised with analog volume maybe there has been some improvements in this regard.

They all have analogue volume control.

There is a separate iEMatch available. It just plugs in between the headphone and the iDSD.

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-iematch/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back