HP50 vs 99 Classics
May 11, 2017 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

swat37

New Head-Fier
Hi, I've been trying to decide between these two headphones, and I would like to hear some pros and cons about each of them, or you can recommend me different headphones. BTW, my total budget is $300 (can be bigger IF it's really worth it) Thanks.

Last edited:
May 11, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #3 of 45
Hi, I've been trying to decide between these two headphones, and I would like to hear some pros and cons about each of them, or you can recommend me different headphones. BTW, my total budget is $300 (can be bigger IF it's really worth it) Thanks.
It has been two years since I had the HP50's and got rid of them as the would not fit me. The bottom of the cups would not swing in and make a seal unless I pulled them them out to the full extent of adjustment and then they were over a inch from the top of my head. I sent them back as I could not listen to them that way. It has been awhile so comparison would be hard to say. I find the 99's to be bassy and a little on the warm side .

May 12, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #5 of 45
I auditioned and tried really hard to like the 99s but I'm not feeling the sonic qualities that so many people mentioned. I 'settled' for the NAD and find the SQ far more refined, detailed and attractive. For my taste, of course. But that squarish headband is gonna draw laughs if you walk out the door. It's one thing I wish they did differently on that set of cans.

May 13, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #7 of 45
I would add the PM-3 to my list if I were you. It is quite neutral and comfortable, IMO.Balanced. Very nice. I also like the SoundMAGIC HP150 quite a bit--it's less expensive than the others on your list. I like the MEZE and the HP50 about equally. The MEZE has more bass, the NAD is more neutral. Both are really good.

May 13, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #8 of 45
I would add the PM-3 to my list if I were you. It is quite neutral and comfortable, IMO.Balanced. Very nice. I also like the SoundMAGIC HP150 quite a bit--it's less expensive than the others on your list. I like the MEZE and the HP50 about equally. The MEZE has more bass, the NAD is more neutral. Both are really good.
Hmm, I could save up for the PM-3 if it's better than those three cans.

May 13, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #9 of 45
Personally, I would not say it is better, just different. It's a planar magnetic headphone, so it has a different sort of house sound to it. Some people find it a bit too polite for their tastes. It is just very different from the MEZE especially--which has a more lively sound. Fun, IMO. FWIW.

May 13, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #10 of 45
Personally, I would not say it is better, just different. It's a planar magnetic headphone, so it has a different sort of house sound to it. Some people find it a bit too polite for their tastes. It is just very different from the MEZE especially--which has a more lively sound. Fun, IMO. FWIW.
Hmm, ok. Thanks for all the replies BTW

May 14, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #12 of 45
The P7 has deeply extending bass and reasonable treble extension. The mids are not recessed or muddy or sat upon, IMO. In this regard it is somewhat like the MEZE, but is quite different from the HP50. The P7 is a very high quality headphone that is quite well made.It would be good if you could listen to one or use amazon so you could still return it if you didn't like it.

May 17, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #14 of 45
It seems like I'm getting more attracted to the P7 and PM-3. As for the P7, I'm always interested in a headphone made by a speaker company. And the PM-3 gets a lot of good reviews for it's neutral sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back