HIFIMAN SuperMini Impressions Thread
Feb 21, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #196 of 234
Just want to add some comparisons between SuperMini and some of its possible rivals. I was hoping to get an Astell & Kern Jr. for comparison, but couldn't do so.

SuperMini vs Sony A17 :

(The things I’ll write here can be applied to Sony A20 series, since A10 and A20 series have more or less the same sound quality)

The two players firstly differ in sound signature. Sony A17 is clearly warmer and more coloured with a slight thinness in its sound. On the other hand, SuperMini is quite neutral, being neither dark nor bright with just a hint of warmth. As I expressed in the review, SuperMini does not exhibit a coloured sound signature.

In technical terms, compared to the 2.5 years old A17, SuperMini is the clear winner in overall sound quality.

A17 sounds muddy (especially in mids), congested and less defined whereas SuperMini has apparent clarity and crosstalk advantage helping greatly to instrument separation.

With A17 the higher noise floor is apparent. This noise floor coupled with some grain in its sound results in a somewhat veiled presentation, especially in mids. A17 as you may expect, is not the clearest sounding dap among its rivals.

In SuperMini, instruments and sounds rise from a blacker background. They have more body and its presentation highlights the considerable clarity advantage of the player.

Accuracy is better on SuperMini with more realistic timbre. In fact, SuperMini produces one of the most accurate piano sound I’ve seen in a dijital audio player. Sony A17 on the other hand, sounds slightly “simulated” compared to the former.

The bass in Sony A17 (coupled with its Clear Bass equalizer) is enjoyable having some depth. However, the texture of bass is simply average, whereas it is more refined (but flatter) with SuperMini.

In comparison of sound dynamism, SuperMini is again the better one here. Despite the fact that Sony A17 has more extended treble section, SuperMini sounds simply more dynamic with a nice sparkle on its treble.

In sound, the only point where I believe A17 performs superior to SuperMini is soundstaging. I always admired Sony Walkman’s for their soundstaging capabilities, and despite its old age A17 can still be considered as performing well on that matter.

Between SuperMini and Sony A17, the latter has the wider stereo image from left to right. However, positioning of instruments is more accurate with SuperMini.

With its current street price level of ~$200, Sony A17 is still an interesting option with its battery life, but the newcomers like SuperMini obviously trumps it in overall sound quality and power.

SuperMini vs Sony A35 :

The new A series player of Sony comes with improved sound (unlike the A20 series), and it competes a little bit better with the powers of SuperMini.

Sony A35 is still coloured in its sound, but it is more balanced than A17 with clearer, less veiled mids. SuperMini is the more neutral and less warm / coloured of the two again.

Accuracy is improved in A35 compared to its predecessor, but the timbre of SuperMini is again the better of the two giving more true-to-life depiction of instruments.

Sony Walkman’s usually tend to produce more “fun bass” compared to the flatter, more neutral bass of SuperMini.

In the mids, A35 performs with more clarity and better separation than A17, but the transparency and crosstalk performance of SuperMini again exceeds the one of A35.

The treble extension of A35 still retains its advantage over SuperMini’s slightly rolled-off treble section, yet the latter is still the more dynamic sounding of the two. I really liked SuperMini’s punchy dynamics.

The placing of the stage is more similar between A35 and SuperMini. They sound both closer than A17, which sounds a bit laid-back. Again here, Sony A35 presents a very wide soundstage ; wider than the one of SuperMini.

In terms of output, A35 has the newer S-Master HX amp which has greater power (2 x 35mW @16ohm) compared to the older A series Walkman’s (2 x 10mW @16ohm). However, being a tiny powerhouse, SuperMini easily pumps more power than A35 even in single-ended output. SuperMini’s balanced option on the other side, creates a dramatic difference of power as you may expect.

And one can easily think that the superiority of SuperMini in overall refinement and sound quality over Sony A35 would be more obvious in balanced connection.

Overall, Sony A35 is a nice competitor to SuperMini especially in its price level of $200 level. But again, SuperMini performs better than A35 in sound quality department ; though the gap between Sony A series players and SuperMini is closed a bit.

SuperMini vs HM901U (with balanced card) :

I believe Dr. Fang Bian is correct in saying that the sound signature of SuperMini would be similar to their flagship HM901.

I tested these two devices over Sennheiser HD600, HD650, HD700, Hifiman HE560 and Hifiman Edition S.

What surprised me is that almost-flagship-like clarity of SuperMini is very close to the one provided by 901U.

In terms of sound signature, 901U sounds more high-end, reference-like and almost “sterile” with a razor flat performance. You get a more comprehensive sound in terms of both low and high end extension. The bass has more body, and there is slightly better treble extension that brings a bit more air to the records with 901U. As you may expect, the analytic properties of 901U is stronger, though SuperMini is no slouch either in that department.

Among the two, 901U has a wider soundstage ad more precise imaging.

Overall for $399, SuperMini offers a great deal of things that HM901 can do.

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #197 of 234

Cons :
  1. Unimpressive soundstage
  2. Lacks authority in bass

Nice to read other's thoughts on the player.  Just FYI thatonenoob measured it under various loads.  Less than 1dB roll-off at both ends of the spectrum - so its measuring pretty flat.  Given that you're not really going to notice -1dB at 20-30 Hz, and you have pretty much no show of hearing -0.5 dB or less from 30-50 Hz, do you think the comment "lacks authority in bass" maybe relates to your choice of headphones, and not the actual player?

I found the soundstage comment interesting as well - given the impression or illusion of soundstage usually stems from the recording and the transducers rather than the actual source / player (with the exception of instances where cross-talk or DSP have been changed).

It'd be interesting to see measurements with headphones, rather than with resistors, which might reveal the source of these impressions. 

Apr 18, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #199 of 234
Is already mid of May... still no update on the gapless filmware update? Will there be a gain setting in next update?

Last edited:
May 21, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #200 of 234
I'm hoping someone knows the answers to a couple of questions.

1) with the shuffle feature on, does it choose from the entire library only, or from within whatever folder/genre/artist is selected?
2) one of the reviews mentioned that with a lack of playlist support, the onky way to create them is to copy the audio files into folders (accessed from the file explorer). My question is: if duplicating files, will the supermini list them when searching under artist or genre (e.g. Would multiples of the same track appear)? Or, does the coding recognize duplicates and list only the correct number of tracks for each album?

May 26, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #201 of 234
I'm hoping someone knows the answers to a couple of questions.

1) with the shuffle feature on, does it choose from the entire library only, or from within whatever folder/genre/artist is selected?
2) one of the reviews mentioned that with a lack of playlist support, the onky way to create them is to copy the audio files into folders (accessed from the file explorer). My question is: if duplicating files, will the supermini list them when searching under artist or genre (e.g. Would multiples of the same track appear)? Or, does the coding recognize duplicates and list only the correct number of tracks for each album?

If you on shuffle it will shuffle the album you are in. If you want to shuffle all go to show all music to shuffle every thing in the album.

as for your 2nd question.. i dont make playlist, i just shuffle or play the song i wanted

Jun 1, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #202 of 234
It's been more than 6 months together with SuperMini and I can easily say that it is a player that grows in you over time with its extremely tiny size, hassle-free 15 hours battery life, power and crystal clear sound.

Well, liking its sound of course depends on one's signature / presentation preference.

SuperMini is a quite flat sounding player with a little bit of warmth that holds me back from stating it as "analytical sounding".

In the previous weeks, I've taken a look at it's balanced output, and wondered if I could use my Grado and Sennheiser headphones (with single-ended termination) through the balanced jack without any risk.

I asked dear Nanaholic, and then emailed Hifiman if there would be any risk in doing that, and their response was that it would be no problem.

It is quite strange that (in a positive way), balanced and single-ended 3.5mm outputs of SuperMini exhibit different sonic properties EVEN with my single-ended headphones.

Through SE, the stage is more laid back and deeper with milder bass, while through balanced, base from SuperMini percievably gains more body and authority ; soundstage comes closer contributing to clarity and "in your head" feeling, and the power output increases a bit in the same volume levels.

I am currently listening to %90 of my music through balanced jack with my headphones, rarely switching back to the standard SE jack.

I can recommend to SuperMini owners to take a look at that "secret" feature of the player.

I liked the result!

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #203 of 234
OMG you are right! They should have combine the jack.

But now I can hear more hiss from my k10....

Jun 4, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #204 of 234
18948704_10154553693826828_732603838_o.jpg

It is a beautiful feat that a player in such a tiny size could reach that output power with 15 hours playtime on one charge, and successfully competing with midrange players in sound quality department with its built-in DAC section.

A feat that I'm accustomed to in Sony players with their VERY efficient S-Master digital amps.

I also should state that, despite its powerful amp inside, I did not encounter any obvious "heating" in SuperMini during playback. Must have a very efficient amplifier design (as the battery life suggests).

A criticism on exterior design however can be placed on the absence of any protective frame over the screen glass on the top of the player.

SuperMini has top-notch build quality, yes ; but if you in any way drop it over its top, you can be pretty sure that its screen glass will get damage in the corners, and probably crack. (And I do not attempt to mention its included screen protector, as it seemed useless to me.)

Apart from that (and some minor quirks), it seems to be tailor made for ultimate portability especially for headphones.

If one likes its Hifiman-ish sound signature (flat and neutral prensentation), this little DAP can be an end game product on their account.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #205 of 234
It's been too long since I've listened to the Supermini as I've been using Opus #1 or Shanling M1 very heavily, with a little side listening to my new toy AK XB10. If anything, the sheer power of something this small is highly respectable, especially considering how power hungry some of the earbuds I listen to can be. Really, I'm having a hard time thinking of anything lacking from the Supermini, and it's smaller than my M1 & RSA Shadow stack I occasionally use due to the size. I still haven't tried testing which jack I prefer for SE listening, but I should get around to that soon. I also agree that they should have just used the single combo jack, and perhaps made the second jack a Line Out. I'm really glad I decided to give this dap a try after using the HM700 as my toy balanced dap for a year or so, and honestly in retrospect, I probably would have been happy stopping at this and not getting the Opus #1. I really should spend more time with it.

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #206 of 234
I got the supermini after hearing and liking the megamini at a show. Only reason i bought it now is i saw new firmware supposedly sorting out most issues. And the issues are big, kinda massive. I have no idea how is it possible to have an established company actually releasing this. It is still awfully bugged, crashes all the time, had to insist several times with 2 fat 32 cards and press the reset button many times..
Power button is placed in the most inconvenient of places keeping in mind if u use it with one hand and any key press wakes up screen..ah well
No gapless..terrible
Its not all bad but seriously..for the money..hmm..no chance

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #207 of 234
I got the supermini after hearing and liking the megamini at a show. Only reason i bought it now is i saw new firmware supposedly sorting out most issues. And the issues are big, kinda massive. I have no idea how is it possible to have an established company actually releasing this. It is still awfully bugged, crashes all the time, had to insist several times with 2 fat 32 cards and press the reset button many times..
Power button is placed in the most inconvenient of places keeping in mind if u use it with one hand and any key press wakes up screen..ah well
No gapless..terrible
Its not all bad but seriously..for the money..hmm..no chance

I was thinking about picking one of these up myself. What issues are you facing with it? Did they persist even after updating? I really had my heart set on this tiny little thing because of how clean it is compared to some of the larger players, and with tonnes of power for my thirsty T50RP mods! :)

Feb 11, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #208 of 234
For a short period of time SuperMini's price seems to be cut half by HIFIMAN to $199.
Considering the fact that it can drive Sennheiser HD6XX series headphones satisfactorily even via single-end output, SuperMini might be the most budget-friendly on-the-go audiophile solution for HD6XX owners.

I think these offers deserve a look :

unnamed.jpg

Feb 13, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #209 of 234
For a short period of time SuperMini's price seems to be cut half by HIFIMAN to $199.
Considering the fact that it can drive Sennheiser HD6XX series headphones satisfactorily even via single-end output, SuperMini might be the most budget-friendly on-the-go audiophile solution for HD6XX owners.

I think these offers deserve a look :

Can you send me the link for the RE800 offer? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back