Hifiman Edition S - NEW Closed Portable
Feb 22, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #408 of 485
just got these. listened to them for a few hours and I'm really impressed with the clarity and soundstage, aswell as the comfort... think these might be end-game portables for me. lets see how I like them in a few weeks.

Feb 22, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #411 of 485
Pretty Decent isolation with the magnetic lids on. Nothing too amazing.

True, although it's not the worst I've heard either.

However, when closed, they leak surprisingly little.

Even when open, it's not as if you had two speakers on your head, when at listenable volumes. Cranking it up naturally increases leakage.

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #412 of 485
True, although it's not the worst I've heard either.

However, when closed, they leak surprisingly little.

Even when open, it's not as if you had two speakers on your head, when at listenable volumes. Cranking it up naturally increases leakage.

:) yeah I asked people in my library of they could hear anything. And Hifiman Edition S leaks little with lids on.

But it definitely can minimize leakage with lids off with a lower volume.

Feb 25, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #414 of 485
Updates guys!

Craig at CP Custom Woodworking (Insta: cpcustomwoodworking) said it was okay to share these; take a look:

They look amazing; can't wait 
biggrin.gif

Obviously results are preliminary, but I would say that the first impressions Craig has given me are great, from his willingness to work out a fair price for getting my set to the price of the covers once made. 

And of course, all the products he's released just look stunning (check them out from his Etsy shop and Instagram, both linked above).

So far I would definitely recommend contacting him if you want anything done with wood.

Mar 5, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #417 of 485
More updates!

Craig finished the caps, and has updated his store with them as a purchasable product. My cans are in the mail and on their way back to me along with a set of caps.

Impressions will come once I get them in and can sit down with them; till then, bask in the beauty:

A few more pics are available on his site (https://www.cpcustomwoodworking.com/listing/516058607/hifiman-edition-s-wood-caps).

I told him that I would have to test whether or not the seal on these is as good as the original plastic caps, but aesthetically speaking, they get a 5/5 from me. I did mention that some people might want the caps to be a bit thinner, but of course that's a personal taste thing.

More impressions later!

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #419 of 485
Right? And there's a certain draw to the new look..maybe it's because of the contrast of silver and brown? The fact that now there's no large logo on the caps?

Honestly, it could just be that now it doesn't look as "cheap" or "toy-like". Now they do look a bit more "DIY" but I don't mind it at all. Craig worked his heart out on the caps; he even blended up a new wood finish just for these. I just met the guy a few weeks ago, but his work has been rather inspiring, I must say.

I'm not sure what is going on aesthetically, but if the sound is anything like the old one, I can't see myself going back to the old caps (unless the new ones cause transportation issues).

Mar 5, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #420 of 485
  Right? And there's a certain draw to the new look..maybe it's because of the contrast of silver and brown? The fact that now there's no large logo on the caps?

Honestly, it could just be that now it doesn't look as "cheap" or "toy-like". Now they do look a bit more "DIY" but I don't mind it at all. Craig worked his heart out on the caps; he even blended up a new wood finish just for these. I just met the guy a few weeks ago, but his work has been rather inspiring, I must say.

I'm not sure what is going on aesthetically, but if the sound is anything like the old one, I can't see myself going back to the old caps (unless the new ones cause transportation issues).

I wonder how would they look with the black version. Black+Wood looks more gangsta.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back