Hidizs AP60
Apr 13, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #616 of 773
  IMHO the actual DAC in the Walnut is not as good as the one in the AP60.      I also think that the headphone amp in the AP60 is better and stronger than most Smartphones.

Sorry, This probably belongs in the Walnut thread....  But understand from reading Head-fi Forums that the Walnut does sound very good for it's price.  And it may have a bit more powerful an amp than the AP60.   But no display...  And it only "Supports MP3 and WAV up to 16-bit, 48KHz sample rate"  according to MFR Specs.  So guess that it's DAC can't handle higher bit rates?    Also, Can't find anything that says the Walnut can be used as a USB-DAC, so interested to hear what you find.

Personally, I would not add Walnut to the AP60, as it's powerful enough, sounds great, and I like the small size (Kind of BiG when you add another amp)      

Thanks for your comment sir.
Now the geek out 100 or 720 will be my next target as I have given up on searching decent budget dac/amp.

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #618 of 773
  Fiio K1 or Q1?

By searching I didnt mean finding where to buy from. Buying Fiio in my country (Thailand) is especially easy since there's https://www.fiio.in.th .
What I meant is that I just couldnt find a decent one at my set budget price point so I'll be extending it. May a few more dollars will get better investment, from my point of view.

Apr 13, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #619 of 773

By searching I didnt mean finding where to buy from. Buying Fiio in my country (Thailand) is especially easy since there's https://www.fiio.in.th .
What I meant is that I just couldnt find a decent one at my set budget price point so I'll be extending it. May a few more dollars will get better investment, from my point of view.

I understood what you meant. I didn't say where to buy from...I suggested the K1 and Q1 as possible products for your need

Apr 13, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #620 of 773
IMHO the actual DAC in the Walnut is not as good as the one in the AP60.      I also think that the headphone amp in the AP60 is better and stronger than most Smartphones.

Sorry, This probably belongs in the Walnut thread....  But understand from reading Head-fi Forums that the Walnut does sound very good for it's price.  And it may have a bit more powerful an amp than the AP60.   But no display...  And it only "[COLOR=222222]Supports MP3 and WAV up to 16-bit, 48KHz sample rate"  according to MFR Specs.  So guess that it's DAC can't handle higher bit rates?    Also, Can't find anything that says the Walnut can be used as a USB-DAC, so interested to hear what you find.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]Personally, I would not add Walnut to the AP60, as it's powerful enough, sounds great, and I like the small size (Kind of BiG when you add another amp)      [/COLOR]

I get what you're saying. I love this player and it can comfortably drive for example my TY 150 and Asura 2 earbuds, and probably my IEMs if I ever go back to them. But the Zen 2 for example won't sound its best.

So purely for anyone who wants to drive higher impedence gear, the question is, what are the options (affordable that is), and one is to try an amp.

And the Walnut is an inexpensive amp but quite powerful. Bearing in mind its double amping as the Walnut can't be used as a USB DAC and the AP60 has no line out, it might not have sounded good. I understand that double amping isn't recommended. I also know I like the sound of the Walnut as a player (I'd place its sound quality at a similar level to the AP60 to be honest, to my ears, I'd find it hard to pick a favorite).

So I tried it and loved it. It has the power of the Walnut, plus the convenience of the AP60 (screen, navigation etc). That's it really, not targeted at anyone who doesn't need it. It doesn't improve on the AP60's sound per se, but the sound quality doesn't seem to suffer IMO - and by adding power it improves how it sounds through certain earbuds.

The size of the AP60 means a small amp would be ideal if an amp was used, and they're a good match size wise.

Yes, its nowhere near as convenient as the AP60 alone, and for low impedence earbuds or IEMs, no need and probably not a good idea at all.

Interestingly there is a new player which doubles as a USB DAC and looks like it may have at least the power of the walnut. The Zishan Z1. Looks like the Walnut's twin. I have it on order, purely to try it with the AP60.

Apr 13, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #621 of 773
-> Flamesofactica

Thanks!  I better understand how you're using the AP60 and why.    I 

Know you're using it as an amp right now...  But I was on Aliexpress and saw a photo of a Walnut with a "micro Usb Data Input" next to the Micro Usb Power Input...   So, there may have a version that can operate as a DAC/Amp ?  Title was still Walnut V2...  Though "details"on that sellers page did not state that function.   The details in some parts said the Walnut was capable of "24/192" , And in another place "24/48", but still says MP3 and WAV files only.    Can it play higher than 16/44 ?  And can it play flac ?  

Apr 13, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #622 of 773
-> Flamesofactica

Thanks!  I better understand how you're using the AP60 and why.    I 

Know you're using it as an amp right now...  But I was on Aliexpress and saw a photo of a Walnut with a "micro Usb Data Input" next to the Micro Usb Power Input...   So, there may have a version that can operate as a DAC/Amp ?  Title was still Walnut V2...  Though "details"on that sellers page did not state that function.   The details in some parts said the Walnut was capable of "24/192" , And in another place "24/48", but still says MP3 and WAV files only.    Can it play higher than 16/44 ?  And can it play flac ?  
Glad it made sense, I didnt want to distract from the key point (the AP60). To my knowledge, it's pretty much a 'no' to all your questions, eg no FLAC and the extra USB is purely to copy files. I get confused with all the 16,24 etc stuff haha I still don't possess a single FLAC file even, all MP3 320 and WAV, so better for anyone interested to check out the separate thread. But if anyone spots a better way to use it to support the AP60, or I get good results with the Zishan Z1 and the AP60, I'll drop a post in here.

Apr 13, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #623 of 773
I get what you're saying. I love this player and it can comfortably drive for example my TY 150 and Asura 2 earbuds, and probably my IEMs if I ever go back to them. But the Zen 2 for example won't sound its best.

So purely for anyone who wants to drive higher impedence gear, the question is, what are the options (affordable that is), and one is to try an amp.

And the Walnut is an inexpensive amp but quite powerful. Bearing in mind its double amping as the Walnut can't be used as a USB DAC and the AP60 has no line out, it might not have sounded good. I understand that double amping isn't recommended. I also know I like the sound of the Walnut as a player (I'd place its sound quality at a similar level to the AP60 to be honest, to my ears, I'd find it hard to pick a favorite).

So I tried it and loved it. It has the power of the Walnut, plus the convenience of the AP60 (screen, navigation etc). That's it really, not targeted at anyone who doesn't need it. It doesn't improve on the AP60's sound per se, but the sound quality doesn't seem to suffer IMO - and by adding power it improves how it sounds through certain earbuds.

The size of the AP60 means a small amp would be ideal if an amp was used, and they're a good match size wise.

Yes, its nowhere near as convenient as the AP60 alone, and for low impedence earbuds or IEMs, no need and probably not a good idea at all.

Interestingly there is a new player which doubles as a USB DAC and looks like it may have at least the power of the walnut. The Zishan Z1. Looks like the Walnut's twin. I have it on order, purely to try it with the AP60.

Now the Walnut is again an interesting choice. Might worth a try since it's no expensive. So what can I do to minimize the bad effects from double amping? Should I choose to pair the AP60 with the Walnut to drive higher ohms buds, I'd also need a very good M2M cable or the bad thing produced from an average cable will be further amplified by the powerful Walnut right? May be the higher price put on M2M will compensate for Walnut's cheap price 555555

Apr 13, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #624 of 773
Now the Walnut is again an interesting choice. Might worth a try since it's no expensive. So what can I do to minimize the bad effects from double amping? Should I choose to pair the AP60 with the Walnut to drive higher ohms buds, I'd also need a very good M2M cable or the bad thing produced from an average cable will be further amplified by the powerful Walnut right? May be the higher price put on M2M will compensate for Walnut's cheap price 555555

Not entering a 'do cables matter' conversation but I have the VE male to male cable cos it looks pretty! If amping the AP60 this way, Id say start with almost no volume on the Hidizs, on high gain, with the Walnut on close to full. Then adjust AP60 volume as required. None of this relates to SQ. It relates to how easy it is to accidentally change gain on the AP60 or volume on a volume knob. So if they are already high, less chance of accidentally deafening yourself!! This takes priority over SQ at all times! Also when plugging / unplugging from the AP60, have ALL volumes on low. If you do things in the wrong order, you won't a second time :-D

If you like what you hear - please post and let me know my ears don't deceive. If you don't - also post and feel free to blame me :-D

Apr 14, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #625 of 773
i want to install the USB Audio20 windows driver, but one of my antivirus keeps flagging it as suspected virus...is it false alarm? is the installer safe?      

Apr 14, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #626 of 773
there's a new version of walnut v2 that have usb OTG data input and can work as a DAC, but i don't know if it will be compatible or not with the ap60

picture is from my local audio forum, not mine

on the side note, has anyone compared the ap60 to the Walnut v2 (as a DAP) in terms of sound quality?

Have you personally tried the Walnut as a DAC? It's my understanding that the added USB port is purely to make it possible transfer files to the card from your computer without removing it from the Walnut......

Apr 14, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #627 of 773
Have you personally tried the Walnut as a DAC? It's my understanding that the added USB port is purely to make it possible transfer files to the card from your computer without removing it from the Walnut......

no, i haven't tried it personally. that info i got from a group buy on my local forum, the person who arranged the group buy said he got the info from the seller in china

Apr 14, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #628 of 773
no, i haven't tried it personally. that info i got from a group buy on my local forum, the person who arranged the group buy said he got the info from the seller in china

Ok, thanks for clarifying. No disrespect but until I get confirmation of this from someone who has actually made it work I'll take it with a grain of sand. The word in the Walnut thread is that it can only be used to transfer files to the card.....

Apr 14, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #629 of 773
Ok, thanks for clarifying. No disrespect but until I get confirmation of this from someone who has actually made it work I'll take it with a grain of sand. The word in the Walnut thread is that it can only be used to transfer files to the card.....

no problem. i also took the same view as you  and rather wait until the group buyers can confirm it. 

Apr 14, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #630 of 773

Users who are viewing this thread

Back