Hearing Safety and Ear Health Thread (a diary of a ear health noob)
Dec 5, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #31 of 75
Hi, i just wanted to add my two cents. When using hearing protection in a noisy environment be sure to not take it off. Our hearing adapts to loud noise if it increases gradually. If you use hearing protection and take them off in a noisy environment you could hurt your ears more than if you were not wearing them due to the sudden change in noise. 

I myself work in a noisy environment and i used to listen to IEM's for long periods of time. I had problems with ringing in my ears for about 30 days before it got better. It was quite loud to, i could hear it in my sleep. I am very careful now.

Beside the good advice about vitamins and not od on coffee =( , sleep is very important, specially in a quiet environment.

Dec 5, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #32 of 75
Jan 6, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #33 of 75
In regards of headphones, when do you know if its too loud or so loud that it may damage your hearing after a certain amount of time? I listen very loud sometimes, my Mjolnir at 12-2 a clock, with LCD-2, but its not like I get pain or discomfort. 

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #34 of 75
  In regards of headphones, when do you know if its too loud or so loud that it may damage your hearing after a certain amount of time? I listen very loud sometimes, my Mjolnir at 12-2 a clock, with LCD-2, but its not like I get pain or discomfort. 

I am using a calibrated and scientific grade sound pressure meter.

But I beleive any SPL meter can do the job. A SPL meter as cheap as a set of silicone iem eartips may help: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Digital-LCD-Audio-Sound-Noise-Level-Meter-Tester-30-130dB-Decibel-Pressure-/121346521235?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item1c40d0f893

Your ears will thank you more than ever!

(Note: I haven't used the one on the link, its for guide only)

Also there are applications for Android and IOS operated phones (there are many on the Google PlayStore).

All these measurements have to be carried out while covering the headphone or iem entire sound opening with a silicone or high density foam material. You only have to insert the nozzle of the SPL meter (or line with the hole and place the microphone of your smartphone).

You'll be getting approximate results. But better than not having any idea.

You can use the guide on the first page for the sound levels. I will advise not to exceed 80dB. Some peaks in the sound can hit the 90dB mark sometimes. I generally prefer to listen between 50-80dB range.

Measurements can be done with average calculations on some smartphone applications (which is handy).

Safe listening!

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #35 of 75
  I've found a very interesting article about reducing noise induced hearing loss: 
http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/vitamin-supplement-prevents-noise-induced-hearing-loss-mice

Practically, this supplement might do be good for the issue at hand:
http://www.iherb.com/search?kw=Nicotinamide+riboside#p=1

Thanks for the links Gheorghe.

I have been using Ginkgo Biloba tablets for over 6 months and I believe my hearing benefit from it. My doctor advised it to me... But such tablets must be used with caution and under the supervision of a medic. Some people with heart surgery, some people who uses blood thinners and some other illness have to get supervision before use. There may be risks...

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #36 of 75
  Hi, i just wanted to add my two cents. When using hearing protection in a noisy environment be sure to not take it off. Our hearing adapts to loud noise if it increases gradually. If you use hearing protection and take them off in a noisy environment you could hurt your ears more than if you were not wearing them due to the sudden change in noise. 

I myself work in a noisy environment and i used to listen to IEM's for long periods of time. I had problems with ringing in my ears for about 30 days before it got better. It was quite loud to, i could hear it in my sleep. I am very careful now.

Beside the good advice about vitamins and not od on coffee =( , sleep is very important, specially in a quiet environment.

I am providing a link to your post. Thanks for the share!

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #38 of 75
Jan 28, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #40 of 75
Thanks. Sounds like an idea with promise but not quite ready to endorse fully....will stay tuned.

Feb 27, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #43 of 75
For anyone interested I came across this today. The WHO (World Health Organisation) suggesting safe listening times for certain decibels of loudness http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31661789

Feb 28, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #44 of 75
For anyone interested I came across this today. The WHO (World Health Organisation) suggesting safe listening times for certain decibels of loudness http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31661789

I was reading something similar from Yahoo news this morning too

Looking at "1 billion people are at risk", it seems really scary that hearing loss is going to be a reality to 1/6 of the human population

Watching "It's All Gone Pete Tong" a few days ago made the feeling worse.

It's worrying actually... Hearing is taken for granted until hearing loss kicks in.

While I don't hear my music loud (my iPod Nano is volume restricted to about slightly more than half the full volume, I listen below the so-called "dangerous hearing volume" on android devices, and my desktop setup is volume matched to my BA200 in my iPod Nano), being exposed to gunshot sounds often in my work (even while wearing earplugs) did affect my hearing a little.

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #45 of 75
Does anybody know if there is a digital audio player that provides a decibel reading on the volume? It seems ridiculous to me that a person should have to use a handheld spl meter to measure the loudness coming from headphones. It really wouldn't be that difficult for a company to create a program for the device that would allow the user to input the specifications of the headphones, which would give the decibel reading on the volume (So listeners know EXACTLY how loud the volume is). That would provide much more information to audio listeners and allow for more hearing safety. Audio and digital player corporations (Apple, Sony, Fiio, etc) GET ON IT!

Anyone know of such a device or program? I think the fact that volume controls on dap's and cpu's are completely lacking in terms of information provided is absolutely ludicrous and helps contribute to unhealthy listening. I believe if people truly knew how loud their music was, they would listen at safer volumes (hopefully).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back