Hearing Safety and Ear Health Thread (a diary of a ear health noob)
Oct 13, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #46 of 75
  Does anybody know if there is a digital audio player that provides a decibel reading on the volume? It seems ridiculous to me that a person should have to use a handheld spl meter to measure the loudness coming from headphones. It really wouldn't be that difficult for a company to create a program for the device that would allow the user to input the specifications of the headphones, which would give the decibel reading on the volume (So listeners know EXACTLY how loud the volume is). That would provide much more information to audio listeners and allow for more hearing safety. Audio and digital player corporations (Apple, Sony, Fiio, etc) GET ON IT!

Anyone know of such a device or program? I think the fact that volume controls on dap's and cpu's are completely lacking in terms of information provided is absolutely ludicrous and helps contribute to unhealthy listening. I believe if people truly knew how loud their music was, they would listen at safer volumes (hopefully).

You need to measure the SPL from the earpiece (HP, iem, etc). No any other measurement system can give you correct-healthy results.

Any Android,  IOS or Windows Mobile phone can take measurements by the help of an Application. When I am away from my professional Sound Pressure Level meter I am using SmartTools for Android APP. There is a decibel meter in the APP. You just get the phone's microphone very close enough to the earpiece of an headphone or push the iem silicone eartip on the mic (totally covering the mic) and get the reading (while playing music, in a quiet place). Not a scientific method or extremely accurate results but better not having any idea. I have compared these results to my scientific grade SPL meter and differences were not very huge. So better download the app and start measuring!

Oct 13, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #47 of 75
Nov 28, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #48 of 75
Something I worry about all the time. Exposure to concerts, playing music with friends, and extended daily headphone usage concerns me. Being only 23, I hope I can be smart enough to practice more safe listening.

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #49 of 75

You're right on this, we must take care of coffee intake. But the sad part: I like coffee toooooo muchhhh! 
redface.gif

Tinnitus is linked to nutritional deficiencies, especially B12, magnesium, zinc vitamin D, vitamin A, and vitamin E.

http://www.betternutrition.com/natural-remedies-tinnitus/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/422092-tinnitus-and-vitamin-deficiencies/

http://www.ctds.info/tinnitus.html

http://knowledgeofhealth.com/lack-of-vitamin-a-may-be-overlooked-root-of-tinnitus-and-hearing-loss/

Dec 20, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #50 of 75
So this has been a big thing for me, especially since I've always had "good ears."

I find that a lot of times with headphones/IEMs, etc, if the volume is too high, it can be really painful or upsetting if you get hit with something loud.

This happened the other day when I was listening to the X2's and turned the volume up because it wasn't that loud.  I realized it was in 5.1, and turned ti back to stereo... Adjusted the volume around and it was okay.  Next song comes on BOOOOOOOOOOOM....

I forgot that the song itself doesn't change from 5.1 to stereo, until it switches.  Youtube and such will actually break and you will need to refresh the page in order to get the new changes.

I've read that sometimes really loud noises can mess you up bad, if it was that piercing.

It's only happened to me a few times.  One time it was IEM's in my left ear I believe, but this last time was both.  I think I'm alright, but part of me felt weird on the left side, but I think it's psychosomatic/worry/placebo that's causing it.

Also, from reading the charts on the front, that talk about exposure time and damage, I have a friend who used to listen to bass all of the time in his car, and he lost a lot of hearing.

A doctor had told him though, that your ears will adjust to the volume, so if you play it too loud, your ears will adjust so that you don't' hear "as well," but I've heard that can be corrected.

I do like decently loud music, but that's a problem with HPs, because I notice if it's not properly powered, it will have a mix of volumes for the spectrum.

maybe the speakers I have just don't need that much power, but they sound good, and I don't need to turn it up to hear things, that I would have to do with HPs.  This causes highs to be too harsh for me, and that's not good.

One guy on here claimed my hearing was damaged because the X2's sounded "harsh to me..."  Funny how Amazon reviewers said the same thing...  Wouldn't not hearing the harshness mean my hearing was damaged?  I figure not hearing things would be worse than hearing things lol!?

Also, like a lot of things, our body heals over time.  I believe it's all about "frequency."  If you are listening to loud music every day, non-stop, and your body cannot heal itself, yeah... you're not going to do well... But if you have the time to PROPERLY HEAL, then you will be okay.

I posted this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/791699/how-easy-is-it-to-hurt-your-hearing-with-a-sudden-loud-intro-to-a-song-or-the-volume-turning-p-for-a-second

Talking about sudden sounds, and I explained a few things I have found about the body and healing.

I mentioned already about what the "doctor" had said (if that's true who knows, but makes sense).

People say that tooth enamel cannot be remineralized, but I have found information that says otherwise.  It talks about the foods we eat, and needing a correct diet in order to remineralize.  So if you are constantly eating bad crap, your teeth wont be able to heal, same with listening to loud music.

Also, as a personal trainer, I had stumbled upon some great information about workouts, and rest.

A lot of people workout very hard, and not only can they hurt themselves, but they can damage their CNS(Central Nervous System).  This workout is based on 8 weeks on, and 2 weeks rest.  This made complete sense to me, because when I was doing college sports, I was doing very intense workouts, and at some point I wasn't making much gains.  After I got sick for about 2 weeks, I came back and everything was light...  It was a joke.  I asked some people, and they all were "you mean you didn't lift as much?"  haha no, I lifted better!  I felt better!  IT didn't make sense, until I found this.

So if you give the body adequate time to heal, it will be able to heal itself.

The thing is, you have to "Rest" you have to constantly  make sure to not keep hurting, the part you want to heal, over and over again.

Granted the body can only do so much, for instance we cannot regrow limbs, though other animals can.

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #52 of 75
  The human ears can recover from temporary hearing loss, but prolonged exposure to loud frequencies causes permanent damage (IE tinnitus). So I hope nobody takes your above post as a free ticket to excessive volume, banking on future healing

Yeah, my above post is just to mention that there can be healing done on the body, but that requires time, and any damage to the area, can make it worse, and affect the healing time.

Some parts of our body, sadly, cannot regenerate by normal means, i.e., arm being chopped off, but the body will regrow the area.

Eventually the technology will be advanced enough to allow us to regrow limbs, and other crazy cool things.  Advances in hearing are going a long way, but yes.... Don't be stupid and be too loud.

I have listened to loud music a few times, but I don't really listen to music all that much, and I don't wear HPs as much as others.  Mostly speakers for me :). IEMs for the rare times I used to go out, but no more!

Safe than sorry!

Definitely don't want any of the above bad conditons :frowning2:

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #53 of 75
Related to ear safety - are the small transformers that fit inside headphone earcups on some electret-types safe, being so close to the ear ? And if this electret-type is vintage, can the transformers' age become more dangerous over time to the close proximity of the ear ?Always wondered about this.

May 9, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #55 of 75
This post was definitely not here when i was on headfi last time. Thanks for the informative post. Like most things in life it is important to enjoy things responsibly and with moderation

May 11, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #56 of 75
  That is informative. Can anyone point to a good passive sound cancelling ear plugs? I am eying on Etymotic ER20, is there anything else better than that?

Thanks
LR

I am using the Ety noise cancelling earplugs for musicians :wink:

This post was definitely not here when i was on headfi last time. Thanks for the informative post. Like most things in life it is important to enjoy things responsibly and with moderation

You're welcome!

Jun 3, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #57 of 75
I have tried several Ety earplugs and have settled on the ER20xs plugs.  They come with a small, hard carrying case and the  standard fit has worked well.  Tyrll Hertsens at Inner Fidelity tried several kinds and preferred the Comply Foam plugs because of comfort but I found them to dampen the sound too much.  Now carry the Etys with me and wear them whenever I am walking in urban traffic, flying, or at times like when they are doing road work nearby.  Haven't tried them at a concert yet.  Wish I'd known about them 20 years ago.  I would have worn them as consistently as I wear a ski helmet.

Jun 3, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #58 of 75
Props to you, Baycode, for starting this thread.  It was one of the first things I read after I joined and was just starting with HPs. I just started a companion thread, Practicing Safe Sound: Hardware and Software Pitfalls, because of the example of your thread and the value I gained from it.  I've started the thread because of my experiences with hardware/software glitches that were related to unexpected and worrisome audio events.  In my case I experienced extremely loud volume bursts apparently related to USB instability that damaged my hearing in both ears.  As a newbie I hadn't been aware of potential issues with USB.  If I had known about some of the signs of instability I would have recognized the issue before it evolved into the volume bursts. 

Shout out to members:  
Please visit the thread and post info about your own experiences so we can build a data base that might be helpful to newbies and members in general.  Thanks, McClelland

Jun 14, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #59 of 75
  Props to you, Baycode, for starting this thread.  It was one of the first things I read after I joined and was just starting with HPs. I just started a companion thread, Practicing Safe Sound: Hardware and Software Pitfalls, because of the example of your thread and the value I gained from it.  I've started the thread because of my experiences with hardware/software glitches that were related to unexpected and worrisome audio events.  In my case I experienced extremely loud volume bursts apparently related to USB instability that damaged my hearing in both ears.  As a newbie I hadn't been aware of potential issues with USB.  If I had known about some of the signs of instability I would have recognized the issue before it evolved into the volume bursts. 

Shout out to members:  
Please visit the thread and post info about your own experiences so we can build a data base that might be helpful to newbies and members in general.  Thanks, McClelland

You're welcome McClelland ! Thanks for the added information :) I will be adding a link to your thread on the first page for easy reach!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back