Gustard X20pro DAC (ES9028Pro)
Jan 28, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #61 of 300
  New to posting here. I may have missed it but does the x20 Pro have op amps in it that can be changed to something like Burson discrete op amps? Thanks.

The I/V opamps can be changed. You will need the right SMT rework equipment and the adapter below.

http://www.logicalsys.com/painfo-vpasp-vb.asp?adapter=pa-dso-0803-d250-08/2

When replacing the I/V opamp the input impedance of the opamp has to be matched to the output impedance of the ES9028/9018 output and its surrounding components, this is implementation dependent.

In the case of the Gustard, the existing I/V opamp has a bipolar transistor input, the Burson V5, for example, uses a JFET so you may end up with less optimal results as the input impedance at high frequencies is lower due to the higher input capacitance of a JFET input.
(JFETS have very high input resistance at DC but at high frequencies the input capacitance lowers this).

Jan 31, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #62 of 300
I just got a pre-order notification from OPPO for the Sonica DAC, and promptly ordered. $815.00 with ground shipping. I'm looking forward to comparing it with my Gustard, X20pro, using my Android phone as a remote, and trying its network capabilities.

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #64 of 300
Where did you order the Sonica DAC from?

Oppo. I had previously entered my email address to be notified when the product could be pre-ordered, and they sent me an email, customized for just me to order. They stated product would be shipped in 2 or 3 days, and charged my credit card immediately. I've not yet gotten a shipping notification.

[EDIT: Just got notification from FedEx that Oppo made the shipping label. Yay!]

Oppo also released a press release announcing the Sonica DAC yesterday.

Feb 2, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #66 of 300
Hi all, I am new here. I have jsut bought Gustard X20pro from a reseller, but he sent me used one instead of a new one. I am waiting for his feedback on how to resolve this
mad.gif
. However, Gustard sounds good, BUT I am surprised that its operation is not entirely silent. I can hear a hum coming from the device (not from the speakers, but from the device itself). It is not very loud, but I can hear it, very silently even from my listening position.

Wonder, if this is error, or feature? Is your Gustard dead silent?

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #67 of 300
Just to reiterate on my earlier post, I have received Chord Qute HD (yes, the 5+ years ld model), which I bought second-hand after returning broken Gustard x20Pro to the German reseller (which was again superb to communicate with). I have to say that I like the sound much more than the Gustards. It's polite, yet clear and detailed, even when compared to Gustard. Sure, it does not support PCM over 192/24, nor any DSDs above DSDx1, so no upsamplink, but still, I do not feel I need to upsample. Even redbook quality is superb with this DAC, and for half the price of Gustard.

The only potential problem is that it makes me wonder how the Dave and the new Hugo 2 sound like... :)

Feb 4, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #68 of 300
Is anyone able yet to write an in depth review comparing the old x20 to the new x20 pro? Technical info is interesting, but I wonder if it's worth trading up based on sound. I am a music lover first. I care about the sound more than the technology per se.

Feb 15, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #69 of 300
Received today via clear components the x-20 pro.
Beautiful device...So far the device seems fully working.
A surprise: DoP on mac/ el capitan: the x20 is running pcm to DSD256 without problems.
The LKS DA003 only goes to DSD128 upsampling on mac.

Connected to my Denon 1315R, Ecouton LQL200 Speaker, El Capitan, Hqplayer

Comparing X20/LKS the X20 is clearly the better DAC.
Soundstage is much wider and much more detail presentation.
X20 seems a bit on the bright side in contrast to the warmer LKS.
I#m using room eq correction so i did a new measurement Room Eq Wizard...
now the x20 is beautiful balanced with Hqplayer and the bright thing is gone:)

The level of detail is stunning. LKS can't resolve such detail and is clearly smaller in soundstage
and has less dynamic.
X20 Sound quality with hqplayer and upsampling to DSD256 is phenomenal.

What can i say...i'm impressed

The LKS goes to ebay. (The LKS is a nice DAC...but the X20 Pro is much better)

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #70 of 300
  Hi all, I am new here. I have jsut bought Gustard X20pro from a reseller, but he sent me used one instead of a new one. I am waiting for his feedback on how to resolve this
mad.gif
. However, Gustard sounds good, BUT I am surprised that its operation is not entirely silent. I can hear a hum coming from the device (not from the speakers, but from the device itself). It is not very loud, but I can hear it, very silently even from my listening position.

Wonder, if this is error, or feature? Is your Gustard dead silent?

I hope you got an X20pro and not the older X20. The X20pro has front panel memory options to choose filters. If you remove the cover, dac chips should be marked ESS 9028pro and not ESS 9018.

My X20pro does hum for a few seconds after turning on as the transformers struggle to charge the large capacitors. Afterwards it becomes silent. Transformers can hum and you may have been unfortunate to get one that does.

Feb 18, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #71 of 300
What is the dynamic range of this thing? I've looked up the specs, but I can't make sense of the image they've posted to convey DNR.

Feb 18, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #72 of 300
  What is the dynamic range of this thing? I've looked up the specs, but I can't make sense of the image they've posted to convey DNR.

The Gustard x20Pro uses one ES9028Pro dac chip per channel, with all 8 outputs in parallel on each with the theoretical maximums below, assuming premium power supplies and output stages.

"The ES9028PRO is a pin-compatible upgrade for the widely used, previous generation ES9018S. It is based on ESS patented HyperStreamDAC technology for outstanding performance with 129dB dynamic range (DNR), and -120dB total harmonic distortion plus noise (TH+N)."

http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en/products/sabre-digital-analog-converters/audiophile-dacs/sabre-pro-dacs/es9028pro/

Feb 18, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #73 of 300
  The Gustard x20Pro uses one ES9028Pro dac chip per channel, with all 8 outputs in parallel on each with the theoretical maximums below, assuming premium power supplies and output stages.

"The ES9028PRO is a pin-compatible upgrade for the widely used, previous generation ES9018S. It is based on ESS patented HyperStreamDAC technology for outstanding performance with 129dB dynamic range (DNR), and -120dB total harmonic distortion plus noise (TH+N)."

http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en/products/sabre-digital-analog-converters/audiophile-dacs/sabre-pro-dacs/es9028pro/

Thanks! I appreciate the information. I think the x20 Pro just pushed the Oppo Sonica off my shortlist.

Feb 19, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #74 of 300
The Gustard is running since wednesday 24 hours a day. Seems its getting and better. Read on different sources it needs 200 burn in...In combination with hqplayer on el capitan, i'm upsampling all files including DSD64 to DSD256 using poly-sinc-short.mp/ DSD7 246+fs. Sound is sooo big, detailed, smooth, analog, wide....just breathtaking, at least for me. I'm coming from LKS DA003...its a whole other league.
The X20 plays exploding dynamically. I think this is the best buck you can spent...I got lucky... the LKS is sold:) I have had in my chain which includes my Ecouton LQL200, Denon pma-1513R,
Mytek192 (just tooooo bright and a big fuzz to operate with...), Eastern electric MiniMax, Violectric V800 and some others....Gustard is the first one which opens up a new world in hearing digital music.

I can recommend anyone to work with room correction. This not only corrects the space but also for a example a DAC whick plays too bright. This works wonders!

I'm using convolution with hqplayer which plays a big part in my chain.
With Room Eq Wizard i did impulse responses for different tasks. Let's say i#m listening to a mediocre remaster from Randy Crawford'- Secret combination which bumps up HF.
I use a impulse response with HF fall Slope of -2,8db  and it sounds just beautiful again. Modern good mixed recordings i'm using the response with -1,8db to -2,3db HF fall Slope.
I did from my measurement -1,8db; -2,1db; -2,3db; -2,6db; -2,8db; -3,0db HF fall Slope impulse responses. Big choices for different source material. Yesterday i've heard the Steely Dan-Gaucho DSD from 2010. Needs 2,8db HF fall slope in comparison to other beautiful mixed recordings...sounds just breathtaking when taking in account the recording is from 1980. Never heard this recording better. 

Feb 19, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #75 of 300
Thanks! I appreciate the information. I think the x20 Pro just pushed the Oppo Sonica off my shortlist.

I have lived with the Oppo SDAC for many months as a beta tester, in multiple incarnations. The sound quality is really outstanding. It should remain on anybody's shortlist, IMHO.

What I don't understand is why anyone would choose to purchase a "Gustard"--which is basically a no-name audio component--over one that is an established brand with responsive customer service and support, and a great warranty. Maybe it's just me, but if I'm spending $1k, I want some security if anything goes wrong with the unit . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back