Good amp for DT990 Pro 250ohm?
Aug 13, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #33 of 46
I just bought the DT880 250 Ohms today. It's my first relatively high impedance headphones and my Fiio E11 and Zo 2.3 are not quite enough since I need to put them at around 80% to have my music on loud. The same with my desktop Audioengine D1. Guess I'll have to go shopping for a more powerful amp.

Jan 23, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #34 of 46
Flip me this is stressing me out im looking for a fairly cheap decent desktop amp so the e17 although not expensive is to much for me i would pay something like 70pounds or less nothing more maybe even 50 or less if possible :p

sorry im a nobcake.
angry_face.gif

Jun 26, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #35 of 46
Hello everyone i have a question. Recently brought myself a DT 990 pro so far i am enjoying it but am not sure if i am using it fullest. I have ASUS G750JZ gaming laptop and one of its features is having onboard headphone amp. My question is does ASUS G750JZ's headphone amp any good? Do i need an external headphone amp? As you can already imagine i am prety clueless about this stuff and english is not my native language so sory for any inconvenience.

Sep 5, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #37 of 46
Hey everyone !

I am wondering: do you think the amp on the Maximus Hero VIII motherboard can drive these headphones ? Asus' website says it can drive 32-600 ohms headsets. Is it true or just marketing ? I'd like to avoid buying an external amp but if I need to to be able to fully enjoy the DT990 pro, then ...

Thanks !

May 11, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #38 of 46
Old thread I know, sorry. But, I've just bought some DT990 Pro's 250ohm and a Fiio A3 AMP, but it's still pretty quiet and if I make it any louder the bass just distorts?! I guess the Fiio A3 is not good enough?

What cheap ish AMP do I need? I just want something simple to drive the headphones.

May 14, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #42 of 46
Hello guys,

Just my humble contribution, i use an IFI nano, and it performs well with my dt 990 pro 250ohms.
I sometimes go up to 75% on volume for the most low volume track. Otherwisem around 50%...

Cheers

Jan 15, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #43 of 46
I am not certain if this thread still gets any love but I was wondering if anybody had any opinions on the Fiio Q2 or Q3 for use with 250 ohm Dt990 pro .

Jan 19, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #44 of 46
I am not certain if this thread still gets any love but I was wondering if anybody had any opinions on the Fiio Q2 or Q3 for use with 250 ohm Dt990 pro .
If you already have DAC or digital audio player of some kind, meybe better look for separated amplifier only.
Like Fiio A5 if you want from Fiio. If it's available still.
You want the device to have like minimum 400mW per 32 ohms if you listen without equalizer and effects. If with, then min. 550-600mW (that's per 32 ohms again, as manufacturers usually post info for a 32 ohms power output) and above you need for a 250+ohms headphones.
If you find info for output power at 300ohms, look for above 120-150mW. 90-100 might be OK as super minimum.

Any device or amp will work really, its just that sometimes happens so that you buy something and then be like: aha, my phone is almost as loud as this. So for this not to happen and amplifier to be amplifier like it should be (or DAC/Amp you see mostly these days), don't look for underpowered devices is my advice.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #45 of 46
If you already have DAC or digital audio player of some kind, meybe better look for separated amplifier only.
Like Fiio A5 if you want from Fiio. If it's available still.
You want the device to have like minimum 400mW per 32 ohms if you listen without equalizer and effects. If with, then min. 550-600mW (that's per 32 ohms again, as manufacturers usually post info for a 32 ohms power output) and above you need for a 250+ohms headphones.
If you find info for output power at 300ohms, look for above 120-150mW. 90-100 might be OK as super minimum.

Any device or amp will work really, its just that sometimes happens so that you buy something and then be like: aha, my phone is almost as loud as this. So for this not to happen and amplifier to be amplifier like it should be (or DAC/Amp you see mostly these days), don't look for underpowered devices is my advice.
I have plenty of Desktop Dac's and amps (Woo Audio Fireflies, Garage17 Project Sunrise, Schiit Modi 3, Music Hall 25.3 along with my electrostat set-up) I am looking for a combined DAC/AMP for portable with my phone that is fairly inexpensive. I liked the old Fiio portable dac amp I used to have (got stolen with my HD600's a while back). I think it was an E17 so I was thinking on getting a Q2 or Q3 as the price is reasonable but wasn't certain how capable the amp was with 250 ohm cans.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back