Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jun 19, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #10,306 of 12,086
It's all good! And my apologies if I didn't clarify well enough (I try my best). Please let us know if they are available still!

Have a good rest of your weekend (if you are in a time zone where it's still Sunday)!
Lol no you were very clear. I was just click happy and didn't bother to read past your link. Definitely my bad there :)

Peter at DHC replied very quickly. He said they were no longer available unfortunately. Hopefully the Eidolic will be large enough for the beast of a cable. Will let everyone know.

Jun 19, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #10,307 of 12,086
Lol no you were very clear. I was just click happy and didn't bother to read past your link. Definitely my bad there :)

Peter at DHC replied very quickly. He said they were no longer available unfortunately. Hopefully the Eidolic will be large enough for the beast of a cable. Will let everyone know.
Thanks for the update! Not available...hmm...well, the Eidolic plugs are really nice, so I think (hope) you'll be happy with the size, feel, and look of those! Looking forward to pic(s) when you've got it all hooked up! :beerchug:

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #10,309 of 12,086
I took some measurements of the Massdrop/Dekoni TH-X00 edition pads. I bought the TH-X00 Sheepskin and Velour 2.0 pads, the fenestrated sheepskin pads were too rich for me. The measurements are also added to my TH-X00 pad rolling link in my signature.

9934136_l.png

9934137_l.png

Jun 20, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #10,310 of 12,086
I took some measurements of the Massdrop/Dekoni TH-X00 edition pads. I bought the TH-X00 Sheepskin and Velour 2.0 pads, the fenestrated sheepskin pads were too rich for me. The measurements are also added to my TH-X00 pad rolling link in my signature.

9934136_l.png

9934137_l.png

Thanks for the measurements. What about the Fenestrated ear pads make them too rich for you? I was thinking of purchasing them on the next go round but really love sheepskin Dekonis. Not sure how much of a sonic difference they change the sound.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #10,312 of 12,086
As in too much damn money lol! Both of those pads were the same price as a pair of fenestrated sheepskin pads.

LOL! If it makes you feel better my wallet is still crying after I purchased the Lawton pads. They're sitting on my desk colleciting dust while I prefer the $35 Dekoni pads. I can't find anything that sounds like @VRacer-111 's Jmoney pads.

Thanks for testing our different pads for us. You're doing gods work.

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #10,313 of 12,086
Received Dekoni fenestrated TH-X00 today + attenuation rings.

My biggest complain is the smell and the black smudge probably from the dye. The pads smell something burned like a faint cigarette ash.

Sound-wise, it does greatly change my Ebony. I personally do not like it at all, but some of the changes might be good news for others. I'm quite amazed how much difference pads can make.

Cons
- lost lows/bass
- harsher highs
- expensive

Pros
- definitely more comfortable
- easy to install rings compared to stock pads
- more open-sounding
- clearer

Others
- listening at the same volume, the stock pods sound louder.

Expanded details:
1) Lost lows. I realized this is one of the qualities that make me truly enjoy the Ebony. A lot of it is lost and it makes the sound overall more analytical than fun. A few examples. I don't feel the same deep hummmmm at the start of Lindsey Stirling's Crystallize. The cello solo part in Bond's Oceanic sounds plain (around 2:40). The opening part of Maroon 5's Harder to Breathe has less impact.
2) High. All of a sudden I find myself wanting to immediately take my headphones off on some parts of songs I usually listen to because I find it too high. Perhaps the loss of the airy-ness make the highs more prominent.
3) Open-sound. The pads make the sound definitely lean toward more on the open-back headphones I tried in the past.
4) Clearer. Some parts sound clearer and I did notice a little extra things I didn't notice before. I went to my first orchestra a few days ago (Joshua Bell played symphonie espagnol) and I would say that these pads give sound closer to the actual instrument.

If I want to listen to classical, then these pads are welcome as an upgrade due to clearer and more open sound. However, I didn't get the Ebony to listen to classical. There are open-back headphones that would do better in that department. I lose quite a bit of the fun bass with these pads. I lose the extra hummmm and impact that makes me feel the bass.

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #10,314 of 12,086
Received Dekoni fenestrated TH-X00 today + attenuation rings.

My biggest complain is the smell and the black smudge probably from the dye. The pads smell something burned like a faint cigarette ash.

Sound-wise, it does greatly change my Ebony. I personally do not like it at all, but some of the changes might be good news for others. I'm quite amazed how much difference pads can make.

Cons
- lost lows/bass
- harsher highs
- expensive

Pros
- definitely more comfortable
- easy to install rings compared to stock pads
- more open-sounding
- clearer

Others
- listening at the same volume, the stock pods sound louder.

Expanded details:
1) Lost lows. I realized this is one of the qualities that make me truly enjoy the Ebony. A lot of it is lost and it makes the sound overall more analytical than fun. A few examples. I don't feel the same deep hummmmm at the start of Lindsey Stirling's Crystallize. The cello solo part in Bond's Oceanic sounds plain (around 2:40). The opening part of Maroon 5's Harder to Breathe has less impact.
2) High. All of a sudden I find myself wanting to immediately take my headphones off on some parts of songs I usually listen to because I find it too high. Perhaps the loss of the airy-ness make the highs more prominent.
3) Open-sound. The pads make the sound definitely lean toward more on the open-back headphones I tried in the past.
4) Clearer. Some parts sound clearer and I did notice a little extra things I didn't notice before. I went to my first orchestra a few days ago (Joshua Bell played symphonie espagnol) and I would say that these pads give sound closer to the actual instrument.

If I want to listen to classical, then these pads are welcome as an upgrade due to clearer and more open sound. However, I didn't get the Ebony to listen to classical. There are open-back headphones that would do better in that department. I lose quite a bit of the fun bass with these pads. I lose the extra hummmm and impact that makes me feel the bass.
That sounds horrible. I too have a pair of Dakoni but I have not used them yet. I tried Lawton but they were not as good as stock.

Jun 21, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #10,317 of 12,086
Acoustic fiber and thin foam inside the cups worked for me. Just a little bit and they are now my favorite headphone. I'm also NOT using the attenuation rings as they make it sound to boxy/boomy.

Jun 22, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #10,318 of 12,086
Dekoni Exclusive Massdrop pads are back up on Massdrop right now! Get em while you can. Order attenuation rings if you like the stock sound, but if you find them too bass heavy, and having too much decay like I did, try the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin pads without attenuation rings.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dekoni-premium-earpads-for-fostex-th-x00

Jun 24, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #10,319 of 12,086
Do the Dekoni TH-X00 Sheepskin pads + attenuation rings sound 100% the same as the stock pads? I realize the sound with stock pads is perfect for me already. I just want something a bit more comfortable. Getting the fenestrated version has been a very regrettable experience for me.

Jun 24, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #10,320 of 12,086
No they do not. If you like the stock pads, stay with them and save the money. They are a little lighter in bass and push up the lower treble area and fix the 10kHz peak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back