Flare Audio – FLARES® – (R2.x successor) KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN
Jun 8, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #211 of 544
Mine have arrived :)
First impressions are very good - they sound like clearer more airy version of R2pro. Tonality is similar. There's a touch less midbass but a little more subbas, bass hits harder, has better definition.
Soundstage-wise they're wider but not deeper.
Midrange seems also better defined, a bit more detailed.
High requencies are smooth and not exagereated.

So it's still Flares - only better, prefected :)
Listen on Galaxy S8+ via head-out.

20170608_115611.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #212 of 544
How is the connection to the normal headphone out? They mention balanced - is there a 2.5mm option or is it 3.5mm balanced?

Jun 8, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #216 of 544
Right now? No. Wireless DAC is kind of a bonus feature for them. And it works great - it's extremely light and it sounds great with no background noise.

Thanks. I will wait for the "earphones only" option ...don't need the DAC

Jun 8, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #218 of 544
What if I only want the iems and not all the paraphernalia that goes with it. Cheaper price?

They've quoted $AUS599 which is a good price but I can't see how to add it to my shopping cart on the website

You may have to try a different browser. I logged in thru Google Chrome and couldn't scroll down to the Add to Basket button. Did the same on Safari & there it was (using Macbook Pro).

May be a few days for my thoughts on these - tinnitus and ear infection - antibiotics! Bummer!!

Jun 8, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #219 of 544
Mine have arrived :)
First impressions are very good - they sound like clearer more airy version of R2pro. Tonality is similar. There's a touch less midbass but a little more subbas, bass hits harder, has better definition.
Soundstage-wise they're wider but not deeper.
Midrange seems also better defined, a bit more detailed.
High requencies are smooth and not exagereated.

So it's still Flares - only better, prefected :)
Listen on Galaxy S8+ via head-out.

Thank you very much for sharing it!
I have a pair of questions, knowing that your thoughts would change and these are only first impressions etc.

1) How do they isolate? I mean, these are semi open iems and that's why the soundstage is wider or did i imagine it?

2) And about the bass? Could you detail a little bit more the changes on it?. I see different Flares on your photo. Have you got the r2a to compare? I'd personally love a little more kick, slam, roar and rumble on the bass department, for my edm listenings, but not too much (i'm a conservative basshead) for avoiding Mingus bloating on Duke's piano. R2a had that virtue, was able to invoke the bass when it was precise without putting steroids in more organic sounds listenings, but anyway, as i said, to be perfect i would prefer a little bump in both sub and mid bass.

That said, i would love to know the immediate plans of Flare Audio about launching, or not, other versions of the new Flares. Maybe the wonderfully kind @Naomi Roberts could tell us something. After one year waiting, we, the poorest of the Flares faithful clients feel a little bit depressed (not grump as the Flare Audio's lawyer said!!!) not finding an option for our hungry, tiny and sad wallets.

Jun 8, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #220 of 544
@xoxiax
1) weirdly enough, isolation is more or less the same as in old ones. I still have to test them outside but for now rest assured it's very good or great.
2) From what you're saying R2pro should already be good enough for you. But yes, there's more midbass and subbass than in R2A's - there's more body and more punch while retaining or even improving clarity and resolution. I definitely wouldn't call them basshead IEMs but they're definitely not bass-shy either. I would like a tad more subbass and a little less midbass but it's great the way it is.

I can already tell you that Campfire Andromeda have probably better treble and Sony MDR-EX1000 have still a little better subbass but overall they both are inferior to Flare Pro. You can't have it all but with Flares you get plenty and then some. Highly recommended.

Jun 8, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #223 of 544
Questions for the folks who just received them:How heavy is the Bluetooth module-does it pull st the earphones at all when hanging?

Any impressions direct from a lightening device with adaptor (3.5mm not Bluetooth). Good for mobile or does quality increase significantly with amping?

I never owned a flare product-can someone compare to Shure se846, K3003i, klipsch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back