Flare Audio – FLARES® – (R2.x successor) KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN
Apr 4, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #152 of 544
I guess not completely sealed.. The R1s are open in front and back of the driver with their vortex ports. The R2s don't have anything proper like the vortex ports but are lossy...

Reading about diy speaker design, it has been mentioned many times that a sealed box, infinite baffle design needs to be lossy in order to equalise atmospheric pressure else the driver has a skewed amount of travel due to the air resisting compression inside the box.

With Flare's design, the main idea is about equalising compressibility of the air so it's the same behind and in front of the driver. With a nearly sealed ear canal I guess it is simply about a) having a driver that is open at the back b) that the imperfect seal in the ear canal is matched by an imperfect seal behind the driver (well, and c) that this is the same for all frequencies)? So perhaps how much the back is screwed in depends on how you've sealed the ear canal to get optimal bass? Completely seal the back and the driver can't expand or compress the air trapped in the rear chamber so well for the excursion needed for bass so it disappears.. They are my educated guesses.

The Flares HD appear to have a particular shape to the rear chamber/port so perhaps is design to give help even the response for this new driver. That it is open might mean the is a port at the front too ?

With regard to how isolated the sound is from the outside world, I guess there's a big difference to a driver being completely open at the back and it having a ported chamber - pressure waves won't necessarily pass through the port , it will depend on the physical impedance of that port . I guess only certain frequencies will pass through.. if that thinking makes any sense..

Apr 8, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #156 of 544
Flare Audio's response on my question asked on FB about releasing new Flares:

"Keep tuned in to Flare's social media channels towards the end of April... "

L3000.gif

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #159 of 544
Hi everyone, A few quick questions since we are all waiting anyway...
I have some (rather soft so nice) earplugs that are really small they cant get stuck in your ear since they are custom BUT they are EXTREMELY hard in my opinion to get out anyway perhaps i have small earcanals and thick fingers. How is this with the flare models?
Secondly i read earlier in this thread that there are no filters to protect against earwax and that the sleeves are open, will this not affect their durability?
And third are these the only very tiny very comfortable iems out there at the moment?
I have owned a lot of iems in the past but a lot of them stick out too much or are not durable enough for use with sleeping.
Thanks in advance for any info,
Greetings, Anouk,

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #160 of 544
I don't have problems removing the Flare Audio R2Pro from my ears. Guess it depends on how far they are inserted. They don't need to be inserted that deeply.

The Flare are supplied with Comply foam tips. This model Comply has wax guards built in. If you use other tips, there is still 4-5mm of space between front of tip and Flare enclosure. Just monitor it and pop the tips off to clean them.

There are other microdriver IEMs. Believe the Aurisonics fall into that category. Friends that have both tell me the Flare sound better.

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #161 of 544
I don't have problems removing the Flare Audio R2Pro from my ears. Guess it depends on how far they are inserted. They don't need to be inserted that deeply.

The Flare are supplied with Comply foam tips. This model Comply has wax guards built in. If you use other tips, there is still 4-5mm of space between front of tip and Flare enclosure. Just monitor it and pop the tips off to clean them.

There are other microdriver IEMs. Believe the Aurisonics fall into that category. Friends that have both tell me the Flare sound better.

You'd be speaking of the Aurisonics Rocket. Is that still produced now that Aurisonics doesn't exist anymore (well, they technically do as Fender)? Anyway, on that point, I did like my R2A more than the Rockets, both in terms of sound and ergonomics.

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #162 of 544
The Rockets were more of an N shaped / midcentric tuning to my ears, with the emphasis on vocals and less bass presence than my R2A. That bulletproof cable on the Aurisonics also gave it absolutely awful cable ergonomics.

Apr 20, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #163 of 544
Hi everyone, A few quick questions since we are all waiting anyway...
I have some (rather soft so nice) earplugs that are really small they cant get stuck in your ear since they are custom BUT they are EXTREMELY hard in my opinion to get out anyway perhaps i have small earcanals and thick fingers. How is this with the flare models?
Secondly i read earlier in this thread that there are no filters to protect against earwax and that the sleeves are open, will this not affect their durability?
And third are these the only very tiny very comfortable iems out there at the moment?
I have owned a lot of iems in the past but a lot of them stick out too much or are not durable enough for use with sleeping.
Thanks in advance for any info,
Greetings, Anouk,

My recommendation for sleeping are the Trinity Hyperion. With the discount for headfiers (search for it on bob trinity's signature at they crazy, infuriating forum... i got tired of it...), they are the greatest budget in the iem world. They are even smaller than the Flares and great sounding also. Obviously i prefer the Flares sound, but i'm not so confident about their durability and at the low volume i use for sleeping sound differences attenuate a lot.  For their price (about 18€)  it's too cheap to try... i find it difficult to regret about it, but hey, just my personal experience...
In fact i still recommend the Flares as the best tiny iem i've tried, but for other uses

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #164 of 544

My recommendation for sleeping are the Trinity Hyperion. With the discount for headfiers (search for it on bob trinity's signature at they crazy, infuriating forum... i got tired of it...), they are the greatest budget in the iem world. They are even smaller than the Flares and great sounding also. Obviously i prefer the Flares sound, but i'm not so confident about their durability and at the low volume i use for sleeping sound differences attenuate a lot.  For their price (about 18€)  it's too cheap to try... i find it difficult to regret about it, but hey, just my personal experience...
In fact i still recommend the Flares as the best tiny iem i've tried, but for other uses

The Flare R2A was the better sounding IEM, but the Trinity Audio Hyperion definitely beat it in pure ergonomics in my book. Better cable, better shell (in terms of not having sharp edges). R2A isolated better though because the Hyperion had that huge vent on the back.

Apr 20, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #165 of 544
The Trinity 20% discount code is HEADFIMEMBERS01 if anyone is looking.  I don't want to admit how long it took me to find it...  Might get a pair while I'm waiting for the Flares!  Pity the gunmetal has sold out though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back