Fiio X5iii Firmware Modification Project - PURIST REMIXED WITH 1.0.9 KERNEL
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 13, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #211 of 298
I am using the 1.1.5-WindowsX-Purist ROM and noticed that I can't use the EQ on spotify with this always telling me the error "unfortunetly musicfx has stopped" had to go back to the original 1.1.1 fw I was using before do you maybe have a fix for that ?

Have you tried updating your firmware with the official 1.1.5 and check if the issue is still there?

Just to curious to know if this is a official FW 1.1.5 problem, or is it the custom ROM problem.

Last edited:
May 13, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #213 of 298
Curious to know, is your Advanced ROM with updated file any better in sound quality than the official FW 1.0.9 (ignoring any wifi wakelock problem)?

Try the (free) Purist ROM. If you don't hear a meaningful difference, then you probably won't think the Advanced ROM is worth the investment. I thought the Purist ROM was enough improvement that I got the Advanced ROM. I'm not disappointed -- like the effect on soundstage. Others have been less enthusiastic.

May 14, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #214 of 298
Try the (free) Purist ROM. If you don't hear a meaningful difference, then you probably won't think the Advanced ROM is worth the investment. I thought the Purist ROM was enough improvement that I got the Advanced ROM. I'm not disappointed -- like the effect on soundstage. Others have been less enthusiastic.

Question is that the Advanced ROM is based on Kernel 1.0.9 from Official FW 1.0.9. So the sound quality should be the same? I understand that there are probably some optimisation of files in the Advanced ROM, but purely on Sound Quality, do you hear any difference?

I have my X5III now loaded with the official FW 1.0.9 and it sounds better than the (free) updated purist rom (tried and didn't like it), thus curious if the Advanced ROM is any better.

Last edited:
May 14, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #215 of 298
Question is that the Advanced ROM is based on Kernel 1.0.9 from Official FW 1.0.9. So the sound quality should be the same?

I only know what I hear, can't prove it. Take a listen -- it's free. You can revert back to factory ROM if you don't hear a difference in SQ.

May 14, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #216 of 298
I only know what I hear, can't prove it. Take a listen -- it's free. You can revert back to factory ROM if you don't hear a difference in SQ.

That is a helpful suggestion, thanks. Done it though and compared them, and the free Purist sounded worse than the official 1.0.9 rom, and that's why I am asking for feedback on the Advanced ROM (if it sounded the same as the purist rom, then I will not waste the money to pay for the Advanced ROM).

Have you compared between official FW 1.1.4 to the Advanced ROM, or have you tried with the FW 1.0.9 which has the same kernel 1.0.9?

Last edited:
May 14, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #217 of 298
Done it and compared, and the free Purist sounded worse than the official 1.0.9 rom, and that's why I am asking for feedback on the Advanced ROM.

Have you compared between official FW 1.1.1 to the Advanced ROM, or have you tried with the FW 1.0.9 which has the same kernel 1.0.9?

No exhaustive comparisons. Biggest difference between Purist and Advanced was soundstage. Your ears/my ears :)

May 14, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #218 of 298
No exhaustive comparisons. Biggest difference between Purist and Advanced was soundstage. Your ears/my ears :)

Got it. Thanks. Since the official FW 1.0.9 sounds much better than the Purist Rom, while the Advanced Rom is just better than Purist rom for soundstage, I guess no point wasting money to pay for the Advanced ROM then.

Will keep to the officlal FW 1.0.9 then.

Thanks for your valuable feedback. Saved me some money!

Last edited:
May 14, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #219 of 298
Have you tried updating your firmware with the official 1.1.5 and check if the issue is still there?

Just to curious to know if this is a official FW 1.1.5 problem, or is it the custom ROM problem.

Definitely a custom Rom issue tested the 1.1.4 purist rom and the 1.1.5 not working on either, switched back to the official 1.1.1 and 1.1.5 and worked as it should. By the way I read that you use the official 1.0.9 fw I can't find it anywhere to download. Maybe you can be so kind and upload it somewhere ? I want to try it out

May 14, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #220 of 298
Definitely a custom Rom issue tested the 1.1.4 purist rom and the 1.1.5 not working on either, switched back to the official 1.1.1 and 1.1.5 and worked as it should. By the way I read that you use the official 1.0.9 fw I can't find it anywhere to download. Maybe you can be so kind and upload it somewhere ? I want to try it out

Do you mean the OTA files?

Here are the OTA files from 1.0.9 onwards:
http://www.fiio.net/en/supports/43

May 14, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #221 of 298
I've just finished performing the ultimate hardware modification project on X5iii today too. The first impression from nearby listener is "I regretted selling this out". Here's what I did. :)

-Replaced all opamps with my own design from ground up
-Upgraded all tantalum capacitors with highest grade that can be installed
-Replaced all clock modules inside with the very best quality that can rival ones used in AK flagship models. This is the main reason why it transform from dull sounding DAP to flagship quality that can rival top-tier devices.
-Battery sends power directly to motherboard using thick high quality copper wire (It was done after taking a picture)

18422230_10213046319543305_3369421314916561152_o.jpg

Regards,
Keetakawee

May 14, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #223 of 298
Curious how it turns out! More pictures if you can, I never worked on a PCB before, curious how it all looks up-close!

That's as close as I can with smartphone camera. Replacing surface mount parts require highly skilled technician or you may damage your unit. Most parts can't be seen so it takes a lot of practices to get the right parts without damaging your device.

Back side will have clock modules replaced with the best ones that turn this into godly beast. The improvement is like upgrading from AK300 to AK320. :)

Regards,
Keetakawee

May 14, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #224 of 298
Do you mean the OTA files?

Here are the OTA files from 1.0.9 onwards:
Hey man thank you I tried flashing it but it tells me error can't install this package over newer build ( I am on 1.1.1) any way to force it to flash ?

Edit: Got the update.img from fw 1.0.9 and flashed it with the firmware upgrade tool from fiio works now

Last edited:
May 14, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #225 of 298
I have guessed this will ultimately evolve into a hardware mod as a similar business tactic with other DAP. At least this may be more convincing to some than having just firmware modification to improve sound quality, which is placebo to many.

Feels like same tactic as iPod to iMod path again.

Guessing this mod will cost another arm and a leg, and confirm killing the warranty, as well as a drop in resale value.

I am really happy with the official FW 1.0.9 which sounds better than the updated Purist ROM, and keeping my warranty intact and booting without a weird logo.

For those who have same thoughts and don't want to risk your warranty and having a rom with a weird logo, you can flash the FW 1.0.9 using this original firmware and tool provided by FiiO:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2dtcx80idj2rwb3/X5III Firmware Upgrade Tool with FW1.0.9.zip?dl=0

After flashing this original ROM, you can try out all the different original firmware as well from here:

This sharing is FREE and no need to add any impurities to your precious X5III, and you can choose any of the firmware based on your sound preference.

Enough of my sharing and if you are still keen to spend $XXX to do modding to your X5III, why not sell it and buy another DAP of the next tier?

Done for me now. I am permanently out of this thread.

Good luck.

That's as close as I can with smartphone camera. Replacing surface mount parts require highly skilled technician or you may damage your unit. Most parts can't be seen so it takes a lot of practices to get the right parts without damaging your device.

Back side will have clock modules replaced with the best ones that turn this into godly beast. The improvement is like upgrading from AK300 to AK320. :)

Regards,
Keetakawee

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back