Fiio X5iii Firmware Modification Project - PURIST REMIXED WITH 1.0.9 KERNEL
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2017 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 298

WindowsX

Member of the Trade: Fidelizer Audio
Yesterday I borrowed Fiio X5iii from my friend's shop to test. It sounded so freaking to the point whether it needs ROM modification as many spoke of. After flashing 1.1.4 OTA. I immediately realized how worse sound quality is. I'm not surprised why many people went back to older 1.1.1 ROM.

Luckily, I peeked on my friend's unit before and it was 1.0.9 so I compared sound quality between 1.0.9 and 1.1.1. 1.0.9 sounded so much better. So, here's my Fiio X5iii Purist mod to improve sound quality for free.

-Remixed firmware using 1.1.1 kernel which is the best sounding kernel from Fiio without wake lock issue repacked with 1.1.6 files
-Deodexed
-Apollo - Fidelity Edition from https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/apollo-music-player-fidelity-edition-t3038629 included
-build.prop tweaks for better video and storage performance and improve battery life
-bundled audio effects removed but keep main engine (Poweramp works now)

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/d6pax82vo0w6jhj/X5iii-1.1.6-WindowsX-Purist.zip

Installation Guide

1. Download Factory Tool provided by Devin http://www.mediafire.com/file/0yztdw6qdpwwp9a/X5III+Firmware+Upgrade+Tool+with+FW1.1.1.zip
2. Turn off Fiio X5iii
3. Connect X5iii with USB connection to computer while holding previous track button
4. Install RK USB driver included in Firmware Upgrade Tool and replace update.img image with mine.
5. Open X5III Firmware Upgrade Tool.exe and flash ROM according to instructions provided in Instructions of How to Use the X5 3rd gen Firwmare Upgrade Tool.pdf

Since many people asked for Poweramp fix before, I decided to lower the bar by not removing audio effect engine completely like true purist ROMs in past. That's as far as I can do to keep up with compatibility request.

Many thanks to Fiio team for providing firmware upgrade tool. I hope you guys will enjoy this ROM.

If you have any question about the ROM to ask personally, please use my E-Mail address lucifiar@hotmail.com instead of PM for faster response. :)

Regards,
Keetakawee

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #2 of 298

Installation Guide

1. Download Factory Tool provided by Devin https://www.dropbox.com/s/37aia851prvoal8/X5III%20Firmware%20Upgrade%20Tool%20with%20FW1.1.1.zip?dl=0
5. Open X5III Firmware Upgrade Tool.exe and flash ROM according to instructions provided in Instructions of How to Use the X5 3rd gen Firwmare Upgrade Tool.pdf

Many thanks to Fiio team for providing firmware upgrade tool. I hope you guys will enjoy this ROM.

I noticed that the file which is titled X5III Firmware Upgrade Tool.exe is the same exact date/file size as the X7 tool in the same zip file.  And when you run it, the window title bar says X7 Firmware Upgrade Tool, not X5III.

Did FiiO make a mistake when they packaged this zip?

OK to use on X5?

Mar 29, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #3 of 298
  Many thanks for the work.

Questions...

What exactly involves "bundled audio effects removed but keep main engine"?
  1. Viper Effects removed in FiiO Music App?
  2. EQ removed in FiiO Music App?
  3. MusicFX service (not really working at now) removed?

Wish list:
  • Unlocks the inability to use a launcher other than the factory-installed Launcher3
  • If neccesary for "1", delete the "pure music" mode from FiiO (if it does not really represents sound improvement I can not find any sense to this mode)
  • Remove all unnecessary apps and android system services (I have disabled/unistalled all that I could, some others can not be disabled but surely some more will be unnecessary)
  1. Android Live Wallpapers
  2. Android System WebView
  3. Basic Daydreams
  4. Black Hole
  5. Bubbles
  6. Clock
  7. Com.android.smspush
  8. Com.android.wallpaper.holospiral
  9. Exchange Services
  10. ES Explorer
  11. HTML Viewer
  12. Music Visualization Wallpapers
  13. MusicFX
  14. One Time Init
  15. OpenWnn
  16. Phase Beam
  17. Photo Screensaver
  18. And something a chinesse ...

Perhaps... in a second round, a totally naked rom, removing all Google related services if does not affect posibility of apk installs.
  1. Google Account Manager
  2. Google Play services
  3. Google Play Store
  4. Google Services Framework

1. You can install other launchers from Play Store or File Manager and default home will be prompted for new ones normally in Android.
2. Some people like me can notice improvement in Pure mode. Some probably don't.
3. Some people need those features.

I can't take up some requests like de-bloating since some people use it. Like true purist mods, I can't do that anymore in public release because it broke poweramp. I can maintain the ROM for specific needs for each person but not a single ROM for everyone.

I noticed that the file which is titled X5III Firmware Upgrade Tool.exe is the same exact date/file size as the X7 tool in the same zip file.  And when you run it, the window title bar says X7 Firmware Upgrade Tool, not X5III.

Did FiiO make a mistake when they packaged this zip?

OK to use on X5?

It's OK. Actually, I use DX200 flashtool to flash X5iii ROM. Seems to be less troublesome. :D

By the way, ROM is broken right now. Probably corrupted boot image. But it works for advance ROM which is very weird. I'm fixing it and will re-upload soon.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Mar 29, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #4 of 298

Ok, thanks

For now I will remain in the official rom environment, but I will follow closely the evolution of this post :)

Regarding point 1,for your information, in the official X5iii ROM it is not possible to default to another launcher other than Launcher3. You can install and run others from the store (for example the NOVA launcher) but unfortunately can not be configured by default. FiiO has blocked that possibility precisely because it says that the change of launcher breaks the "pure audio" mode.

Regarding point 2, FiiO official answer in the FAQ about "pure music" mode http://www.fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=41961&extra=page%3D1

What's the difference between Android and Pure Music mode?
In Android mode, you can install and run the third-party apps just like operating on an Android tablet. In Pure Music mode, only the FiiO Music app will be running and all operations will be limited to FiiO Music. In this way the X5 will work as a stable and pure music player

So I deduce that really there is no difference in X5iii audio quality when "pure music" mode is on, and there is nothing "audio" related behind the scenes. But maybe some people may notice improvements related to lower system load. Or I'm just in error and yes there are audio enhancements in "pure music" mode

Anyway I fully understand the need to maintain in your mod the "pure music" mode and is probably very "in to" the system.

You deduction is incorrect. The purpose of pure music mode is to minimize all processes outside Fiio Music including launcher itself. They can have full control over their own Launcher3 to work with Pure music mode unlike other launchers. That's why they blocked it.

I don't think adding custom launcher setup is possible if they don't allow from the ROM in the first place. And my ROM is basically official 1.1.4 with 1.0.9 kernel and have some small enhancements in ROM itself. You can use this over current Fiio ROM if you prefer better sound quality from 1.0.9 kernel with less audio effects in audio chain (also smoother and has better storage I/O performance).

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #5 of 298
I've finished uploading public ROM now. Here it is.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/z13qi91voq6cd52/X5iii-1.1.4-WindowsX-Purist.zip

And here's changelog for advance ROM.

-Added root support with SuperSu
-Changed kernel to version 1.0.9 (more analog sound)
-Optimized boot configuration in boot image
|-Lowered buffer size for low latency I/O
|-Optimized I/O priority on audio-related services
|-Removed kernel same merging tweaks (reduce CPU usage)

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #6 of 298
By the way, ROM is broken right now. Probably corrupted boot image. But it works for advance ROM which is very weird. I'm fixing it and will re-upload soon.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Yes, I noticed that 
biggrin.gif

Thanks for getting the corrected ROM up so quickly.  I didn't like owning a brick.  I installed your latest ROM, and it went exactly as expected (previous ROM was hanging on the 'Fidelizer' splash screen foooorrrrreeeeevvvvvvvveeeeerrrrrrrr).

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #7 of 298
Now it should work fine. Someone confirmed it. :)

Regards,
Keetakawee

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #8 of 298
Do I need to be on that specific firmware version for this to work? I'm using the most up to date firmware version. Also if I want to go back to stock I could just download the current firmware and use the tool to do that?

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #9 of 298
Do I need to be on that specific firmware version for this to work? I'm using the most up to date firmware version. Also if I want to go back to stock I could just download the current firmware and use the tool to do that?

This includes everything you need in firmware so you can flash this on Fiio X5iii regardless of existing firmware version. :)

Regards,
Keetakawee

Mar 29, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #10 of 298
I've fixed corrupted boot image for advance rom. If you haven't received fixed ROM yet, please let me know.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Mar 29, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #11 of 298
works for me too. actually, just trying before ordering advanced rom. plays nice, tidal works, but am i dumb or apollo player has no library scanning (can't find a way to play something, or browse through folders, whatever), tried android media rescan (Settings>Apps>All>Media Storage>Clear Data then reboot), nothing. google play app don't see sd card for offline, but same problem in stock rom too, seems need root to fix that; fiio app works well, can ffw or back hires 24bit while downloading tidal offline playlists. pure music sounds better, than android mode, so maybe this apollo is useless anyway.

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #12 of 298
I'm home now, listening to new firmware mod. The biggest thing I notice is that balanced vs SE demonstrates greater difference. Sound stage is much wider balanced vs SE, and also old ROM vs new ROM. Second difference is that sound is more detailed new ROM vs old. Third is slightly reduced warmth of the sound signature, new vs old.

In all, a notable improvement.

All these impressions via iBasso IT03, SE w/ stock cable & balanced w/ ALO Audio Tinsel cable, Pure Music mode.

I joked earlier about the sound being 5X better. Now, I will seriously state that -- to my ears -- this mod definitely improves the SQ of the X5iii via balanced out. I include that qualification because I did little listening SE before the mod, and even less since.

All that said, let me be clear that this DAP is very musical -- ROM in no way detracts from that basic character.

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #13 of 298
  Yesterday I borrowed Fiio X5iii from my friend's shop to test. It sounded so freaking to the point whether it needs ROM modification as many spoke of. After flashing 1.1.4 OTA. I immediately realized how worse sound quality is. I'm not surprised why many people went back to older 1.1.1 ROM.

Luckily, I peeked on my friend's unit before and it was 1.0.9 so I compared sound quality between 1.0.9 and 1.1.1. 1.0.9 sounded so much better. So, here's my Fiio X5iii Purist mod to improve sound quality for free.

-Remixed firmware using 1.0.9 kernel which is the best sounding kernel from Fiio repacked with 1.1.4 files
-Apollo - Fidelity Edition from https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/apollo-music-player-fidelity-edition-t3038629 included
-build.prop tweaks for better video and storage performance
-bundled audio effects removed but keep main engine (Poweramp works now)

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/z13qi91voq6cd52/X5iii-1.1.4-WindowsX-Purist.zip

Installation Guide

1. Download Factory Tool provided by Devin https://www.dropbox.com/s/37aia851prvoal8/X5III%20Firmware%20Upgrade%20Tool%20with%20FW1.1.1.zip?dl=0
2. Turn off Fiio X5iii
3. Connect X5iii with USB connection to computer while holding previous track button
4. Install RK USB driver included in Firmware Upgrade Tool and replace update.img image with mine.
5. Open X5III Firmware Upgrade Tool.exe and flash ROM according to instructions provided in Instructions of How to Use the X5 3rd gen Firwmare Upgrade Tool.pdf

Since many people asked for Poweramp fix before, I decided to lower the bar by not removing audio effect engine completely like true purist ROMs in past. That's as far as I can do to keep up with compatibility request.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Man, you're one cool potato for giving this to us! 

Mar 30, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #15 of 298
I asked WindowsX to do a custom purist ROM upgrade for me that would both maximize sound quality and battery life. I am not an audiophile and am pretty new to this, but I can tell there's a difference between the sound quality of the Fiio FW update 1.1.4 and what Keetakawee did with the ROM upgrade. 

When I installed the first ROM file he supplied to me, I didn't notice a huge difference to be honest. I was a little disappointed. But shrugged it off as a learning experience. A day later he subsequently sent me a message to say he had an X5iii in hand and noticed something hadn't worked properly the first time and would redo the ROM and send through another update for me. After flashing it, rebooting and reloading my music library, I went back to the songs I had been playing the day before with the same IEMs (RHA T20s). There is a marked difference now. I was quite surprised that simply fiddling with the ROM could affect the sound quality. Since I had thought the ROM was changed the first time and didn't notice much of a difference (other than maybe placebo), and I could definitely tell the difference the second time around, I am inclined to believe there's something in this for sure.

I am using Pure Music mode only and don't use Tidal or Spotify, etc. But I'm pleased I did this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back