Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
May 24, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #9,211 of 15,897
We just arguing :) With the same components (2 dual amps topology) Onkyo or FiiO will be (and are) giving better results on balanced output than SE. If to compare different devices and different components, different schematics - of course there can be differences in sound quality and SE can sound better than balanced.

Lol, not arguing, just pointing out that general statements don't always apply, and are usually frowned upon.

Your example of SNR is not accurate for the X5iii as the SE has a better SNR than the balanced output. Also with the X5iii the balanced output has less power than the SE output. So balanced doesn't always mean better for what was mentioned. Just keeping it real. If you hear an audible difference between SE and balanced on the X5iii (I didn't when volume matched) then I'm happy for you.

May 24, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #9,212 of 15,897
Had a fun event on the bus yesterday, X5iii suddenly volume ramped up to 120! OMG that is LOUD! :scream:
Couldn't confirm but suspect something was pressing against the Vol+ button on the RM1 remote that was in my pocket. :rolling_eyes:
So word of warning to those with sensitive IEMs, please set the max volume setting. :wink:
I now have the max set to 60 (slightly uncomfortable but not painful for me) and set the initial power up volume to 40.
I'd set both on previous X5s but because of the guarded dial rather then buttons hadn't bothered on the X5iii, forgetting about the RM1 of cause.:face_palm:
Ears are still feeling abused.

May 24, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #9,214 of 15,897
Had a fun event on the bus yesterday, X5iii suddenly volume ramped up to 120! OMG that is LOUD! :scream:
Couldn't confirm but suspect something was pressing against the Vol+ button on the RM1 remote that was in my pocket. :rolling_eyes:
So word of warning to those with sensitive IEMs, please set the max volume setting. :wink:
I now have the max set to 60 (slightly uncomfortable but not painful for me) and set the initial power up volume to 40.
I'd set both on previous X5s but because of the guarded dial rather then buttons hadn't bothered on the X5iii, forgetting about the RM1 of cause.:face_palm:
Ears are still feeling abused.
That happened to me when I had it in tight pockets with another item. Luckily I pulled my IEMs right out as I heard volume ramping up real quick.
Ear was minorly ringing lol. Setting max volume at 70.

May 24, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #9,215 of 15,897
Dear friend,

Not sure what order do you want. You mean the internal playlist, right? The songs you added are from different albums?

1. Sorting by date added in the playlist
2. Sorting by characters
3. Sorting by first letter in Alphabetical order across languages (currently only available for Chinese and English language)

Best regards

For example, if I go into an album file, click the pencil for batch function, click on 5 songs and then add them to a playlist, I would like them to appear on the playlist in the same order that they appear on the album.

May 24, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #9,216 of 15,897
Just tried playing X5 III out of coax to a ifi audio nano ione and it played pretty well. DSD 2.8 n all that jazz! :)

May 24, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #9,218 of 15,897
I have only one request for the Fiio development guys... When you select pause it stays paused until you select play again. Of course this is in pure music mode. Now when you swipe right of left across the album art, the next song begins immediately even if you have selected pause on the previous song. Maybe its just me but it sometimes takes me a moment to see what the next song is and I do not want to necessarily hear it.

May 24, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #9,219 of 15,897
Hell yes.

The constant scanning for wi-fi which is an ongoing event since if it drops it has to pick it back up or notify via symbol or otherwise that it is not in range is a battery drain. Maybe only 5% up to 10% per hour but it makes a difference. If you are not streaming turn off wifi. If you decide to update apps, update FW or stream turn it on but otherwise off.

Yes. I don't do streaming. I always keep wifi and Bluetooth off. I'm asking if switching plane mode on will save some battery on my usage escenario (all radios off).

May 24, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #9,220 of 15,897
Lol, not arguing, just pointing out that general statements don't always apply, and are usually frowned upon.

Your example of SNR is not accurate for the X5iii as the SE has a better SNR than the balanced output. Also with the X5iii the balanced output has less power than the SE output. So balanced doesn't always mean better for what was mentioned. Just keeping it real. If you hear an audible difference between SE and balanced on the X5iii (I didn't when volume matched) then I'm happy for you.

Yes real is good! If one is to only read the Ad copy, and maybe read the common wisdom often expressed here, balanced is always superior. My experience is that this is not always the case. Another case of expectation bias? I don't know, but from a technical standpoint there is nothing that intrinsically makes balanced better, other than common mode noise rejection. This is typically only important on the low level output/input circuit connections. It is seldom a problem on output stages with levels required to drive transducers. Especially over the very short distances typically involved in headphone/IEM listening.
In any case, as xRelic said and I agree with it, if using a device with a balanced output makes one feel better ...read, enjoy the music more, just do it! Don't even worry about reality. Please though, only quote "facts" that are indeed facts.

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #9,222 of 15,897
Let me disagree:

1. Balanced have lower hum and noise

2. Provide a higher voltage level.

3. Higher voltage levels can improve signal to noise ratio

4. Higher operating level and headroom (about 6dB)

You are correct... but only if it is a truly balanced circuit. Adding a balanced "adapter" cable to an unbalanced set of IEM's does not make for a balanced circuit. It would be no different than simply buying a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter (which is what these cables are - only they can charge you more because of their marketing of the word "balanced".

May 24, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #9,223 of 15,897
I would certainly hope the ZX2 sounds better - it is twice the price.

Cost isn't always a yardstick for performance. The S-Master DAC/amp in the ZX2 doesn't sound favourable to my ears. Others love it but not me.

You are correct... but only if it is a truly balanced circuit. Adding a balanced "adapter" cable to an unbalanced set of IEM's does not make for a balanced circuit. It would be no different than simply buying a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter (which is what these cables are - only they can charge you more because of their marketing of the word "balanced".

If anyone is trying to drive a SE headphone connection from a balanced source they may end up shorting their gear and causing damage. A balanced headphone connection to a SE source with an adaptor is ok because you can share the ground. Where did the cable conversation come from? The comments were based on the automatic superiority of a balanced connection (yes, even 'truly' balanced topology), which is not always the case.

May 24, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #9,224 of 15,897
I would certainly hope the ZX2 sounds better - it is twice the price.

As I said, it sounds better to me since I compared both ZX2 and X5III for a while. Both are smooth sounding, but ZX2 adds on fun and energy if I can describe in my own words. Not everyone has the same sound preference though, thus you need to listen to compare yourself. If you have a headphone and requires bigger power to drive hard-to-drive headphones, X5III will probably be a better choice. However, I use mainly for IEMs, thus ZX2 excels and sound much better than X5III for the music I listen to.

You can't go wrong with X5III sound though, it is very good. Just that I like the synergy with my XBA-Z5, as well as other benefits of a more stable system, 3 times longer battery life of ZX2 vs X5III. If I don't have the ZX2, I would be happy with the X5III.

I am lucky to find a good buy of the ZX2 though (a local shop selling at a big discount for a sealed set), as it is roughly the same price as the X5III with a 128GB SD card. So I am comparing just by sound quality between the 2 DAPs without influence of the price.

Having through different high end DAPs with dual sabre, dual AKM, dual wolfson, etc. the DAC, whether single or dual does not matter to me anymore as they are just numbers. The highest graded DAC may not give you the best sound that you prefer (e.g. DX200 comes with 2 pieces of the top highest graded ESS Pro DAC that is much higher in cost than AKM). What I will choose for a DAP will be the sound it produces. The Calyx M that I used to have is a single Sabre DAC and produces much better sound that most of the DAPs with dual DACs anyway, but suffers the same issue of short battery life as well as unstable system.

So my own experience. Cost is not always a yardstick for sound quality, and DAC is definitely not always a yardstick as well.

X5III in this case, is a wonderful DAP well priced with very high ROE (Return of Enjoyment)!

Thus, I think there is no "Best" sound, but the most preferred sound to your ears. So trust your own ears, not your eyes.

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #9,225 of 15,897
Yes. I don't do streaming. I always keep wifi and Bluetooth off. I'm asking if switching plane mode on will save some battery on my usage scenario (all radios off).

As a side-effect, airplane mode reduces power consumption and increases battery endurance by shutting down the device's transmitters and receivers.

Airplane mode is pretty much disabling I/O radio signals (BT/WiFi) which you are already doing. I turn on my radios right after a full charge to check for updates to FW or apps and then switch back off the grid. I started doing that with my Note 4 and it was clearly a battery saver on that. not sure how much benefit it is for the X5iii but it clearly is gonna help some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back