Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype)
Oct 1, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #3,408 of 3,428

Good luck with that, UT...I notice he's at it again - no listing of measurements in the text...but "on the white labels", one of which it is impossible to see the all-important plate mA figures...NAUGHTY, in my book lol! (100% rating?...hmmmm....).

True H1 but I won't commend anymore on the seller until the final outcome. One thing I learn from this is it pays to buy NOS when it comes to good tubes like the ECC31 / 32. My experience with the 5998 has taught me that. I bought 2 sets of 5998. The new pair is just incredibly new haha.

So I'm determined to hunt down a pair of NOS ECC31 that tested well with no physical impairments even if I have to go to Mars to get it. 

Oct 1, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #3,409 of 3,428
  True H1 but I won't commend anymore on the seller until the final outcome. One thing I learn from this is it pays to buy NOS when it comes to good tubes like the ECC31 / 32. My experience with the 5998 has taught me that. I bought 2 sets of 5998. The new pair is just incredibly new haha.

So I'm determined to hunt down a pair of NOS ECC31 that tested well with no physical impairments even if I have to go to Mars to get it. 

I would have to agree with you there UT, once I find a tube I like I will be looking for a nice NOS pair. They usually look and perform better and will normally last a lot longer than used tubes. To me that is worth the premium.

Oct 1, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #3,410 of 3,428
Just heard from Lukasz that my Elise should be less than 2 weeks. Yeehaa. 
atsmile.gif

Oct 1, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #3,412 of 3,428
Hi Mordy I really like how the 6N23P rockets sounded in my DV. I'll try it out in the Elise and let you know if it hums or sings I'm really hoping the latter because it's still cheap compared to premium 6922 or ECC88.

Oct 1, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #3,413 of 3,428
  Hi Mordy I really like how the 6N23P rockets sounded in my DV. I'll try it out in the Elise and let you know if it hums or sings I'm really hoping the latter because it's still cheap compared to premium 6922 or ECC88.

If your 6922/6N23P's buzz or hum, instead of sound beautiful, you will know your Elise is not wired like everyone else's, and needs to go back,  for a health check..

Know you have C3gS's and adapters ready to go as well, UT,  and they too, should work perfectly :)

Cheers!

Oct 19, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #3,415 of 3,428
Hello to everybody,

I don' t want to steal the thread, but I don' t think it' s necessary to make another topic out of it.

My gear: Laptop --> Violectric v800 --> Elise --> Beyer T1

I hear a scratching noise in the left channel, just like there' s a weak cable connection. Connected the headphones directly to the laptop and there are no such problems.
I followed a advice to turn on first the amp for 5 minutes and then to plug in the headsets. Did that, and after that, I have this scratching noise.

So, I know the headset is not the issue. Could I be something from the connector adapter, maybe from the Elise (bad connection, bad tube(s) ) , DAC?

Any suggestions or quick fixes?

Thanks!

Oct 19, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #3,416 of 3,428
Hello to everybody,

I don' t want to steal the thread, but I don' t think it' s necessary to make another topic out of it.

My gear: Laptop --> Violectric v800 --> Elise --> Beyer T1

I hear a scratching noise in the left channel, just like there' s a weak cable connection. Connected the headphones directly to the laptop and there are no such problems.
I followed a advice to turn on first the amp for 5 minutes and then to plug in the headsets. Did that, and after that, I have this scratching noise.

So, I know the headset is not the issue. Could I be something from the connector adapter, maybe from the Elise (bad connection, bad tube(s) ) , DAC?

Any suggestions or quick fixes?

Thanks!
Hello blckmag,

Since you have the Elise in the chain, I would check the vacuum tube connections and the tube pins. Shut off the amp, let it cool down for a couple of minutes (to discharge capacitors) and then switch one tube at a time right/left. If the right channel now makes noise you know it is the tube. (Only pull out tubes by the base; not the glass part.)
Once you find the offending tube, gently scrape the pins with a pen knife, scissors etc (does not have to be sharp) and reinsert. If one tube with clean pins and good contact continues to make noise, leave it on for several hours - maybe burning it in will make it behave better.
If these things don't work you will have to replace the tube.
The above is only trouble shooting for tubes - could be other things as well. Just check all connections......

Oct 19, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #3,417 of 3,428
Hello blckmag,

Since you have the Elise in the chain, I would check the vacuum tube connections and the tube pins. Shut off the amp, let it cool down for a couple of minutes (to discharge capacitors) and then switch one tube at a time right/left. If the right channel now makes noise you know it is the tube. (Only pull out tubes by the base; not the glass part.)
Once you find the offending tube, gently scrape the pins with a pen knife, scissors etc (does not have to be sharp) and reinsert. If one tube with clean pins and good contact continues to make noise, leave it on for several hours - maybe burning it in will make it behave better.
If these things don't work you will have to replace the tube.
The above is only trouble shooting for tubes - could be other things as well. Just check all connections......

Hello,

Thanks for your suggestions.
Will try it out. Hope it fixes it and nothing else broke. I know the amp wasn' t burned that much. about 50 hours.
Will test it on this:

Thanks again!

L.E. : So I left just the Right one, sounded OK. Now, just the Left one and is everything normal (no more scratches) . I will later try them both again, to see if something is up. If the scratch reappears, could it be something from the wiring (short somewhere) ?

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #3,419 of 3,428
My Elise is currently on the bench table of Feliks Audio for a health checkup for the same issue, i.e. scratching noise on the right channel. Still in warranty, so anything needing fixing will probably be fixed!

If it’s not the tubes then I’d suggest you contact FA for a similar arrangement.

Oct 20, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #3,420 of 3,428
@blckmag keep us in the loop on your 'scratching' issue. Is it akin to a subtle rustling of paper sound through one channel? If so, the same happened to me.

Hello,

Problem fixed. At least for now. To make an idea how the sound was, in my case, listen to Hendrix- Voodoo Child (Slight Return) ; the scratching from the beginning of the song, in the right channel. Something like that I had every few seconds in my left one (regardless of the song) .

My Elise is currently on the bench table of Feliks Audio for a health checkup for the same issue, i.e. scratching noise on the right channel. Still in warranty, so anything needing fixing will probably be fixed!

If it’s not the tubes then I’d suggest you contact FA for a similar arrangement.

Hello,

Hope it won' t be necessary. Plus, I bought it SH, and I am guessing the warranty is void because of this.
If you get a reason of `resurrection` , I am curious what the problem was.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back