Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
May 28, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #8,177 of 11,833
Hi guys,

The Mullard 6080 have stayed on my system since I got them and they've given me long hours of enjoyment primarily with jazz and secondly with classical. They seem to be less resolving—or rather setting the minor details in the back, as I have found with some tracks in Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique, which I already knew how they sounded through my surgical Etymotic Hf2—, but wonderfully warmish in the mids.

However, I suddenly I got an itch to get me a pair of Sylvania 6sn7wgt from Langrex. Do you guys have any experience with them? If I recall correctly @pctazhp has mentioned having a pair. Honestly it's a gut feeling, partly because I feel like exploring the NOS driver variety sound signature for the Elise instead of the Psvane. Also, should I build my knowledge base gradually by getting me some entry-level $ GTBs and then move on to the more expensive variants, or should I just churn out the big $ right away?

I know it's a big debate, but I'm open to suggestions!

May 28, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #8,178 of 11,833
Hi Angpsi :relaxed:

Back in March (a month that later on should be known as the "Dark Age Of Waiting For The EL-Adapters") I was pretty interested in getting me a pair of Sylvania 6SN7 also. Before actually taking initiative and buying them, my adapters finally arrived via carrier pigeon and my plans regarding Sylvanias petered out.
But I did not forget about them :) Next to the GEC 6080 UT suggested (well and next to some GEC 6AS7G and Tungsol 5998 - if I happen to stumble upon them somewhere and not having to sell my cat to buy them) they are as of now the only tubes I´m interested in adding to my Elise-line-up.

I got a few good responses back then concerning the difference between the brown base and black base, if you (or others) are interested...

--> post 7756 and following (page 518)

May 28, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #8,179 of 11,833
I got a few good responses back then concerning the difference between the brown base and black base, if you (or others) are interested...

--> post 7756 and following (page 518)

I followed this trail and I came across the legendary lyrics to the song...

'Hello Lobster, my old friend. I've come to talk to you again...'

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/f...ost-for-summary.813488/page-518#post-13364998

Ok.. Lobster and @angpsi you need to be fast on this. There's only 2 left of these gold nuggets and they are NOS.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sylvania-6S...576896?hash=item25d7660340:g:Sf8AAOSwblZZJZvp

It's useful to get Sylvania 6sn7gtb chrome top and Sylvania 6sn7wgt as well. While you're at it, don't forget the Tung Sol 6sn7gtb black bakelite base 1960s tubes as well. They are not expensive but sound very good.

May 28, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #8,180 of 11,833
Elise is indeed a marvellous tube amp. I've always said that it will hold it's place in a setup comprising HD800, T1 and now as you eluded to, the Audeze LC3f. Add in a nice DAC and you have a headfi system you can trully enjoy and be proud of.

Lobster, see what I told you then. That was March 23rd 2017 and now you did have a nice DAC and it's all set and just listening to music now.

May 28, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #8,182 of 11,833
However, I suddenly I got an itch to get me a pair of Sylvania 6sn7wgt from Langrex. Do you guys have any experience with them? If I recall correctly @pctazhp has mentioned having a pair. Honestly it's a gut feeling, partly because I feel like exploring the NOS driver variety sound signature for the Elise instead of the Psvane. Also, should I build my knowledge base gradually by getting me some entry-level $ GTBs and then move on to the more expensive variants, or should I just churn out the big $ right away?

I didn't get my pair from Langrex, but I really like my Sylvania 6SN7-wtg. Probably about the same as my more expensive Sylvania 6SN7Ws. Personally I recommend getting a pair of either Sylvania and a pair of GEC6080s and be done with it. But, then again, I'm just a poor conductor. If anyone requests I re-tell that joke for the umpteenth time I will, but you will probably be put on some kind of a watch list.

And please understand that @UntilThen's answer to every problem in the world is to buy a Yiggy. I think he supplies Schiit with Magic Yiggy Dust from a mine he owns in the Outback.

May 28, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #8,183 of 11,833
And please understand that @UntilThen's answer to every problem in the world is to buy a Yiggy. I think he supplies Schiit with Magic Yiggy Dust from a mine he owns in the Outback.

It's the best thing that happen to me since I join head-fi. Elise made me chalk up 5000 posts. Yggy will take me to the 20000 mark.... then they will boot me out.

This is now good speakers sound in my head and Yggy is only 8 days 7 hours 34 minutes and 12 seconds since powering up.

May 28, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #8,184 of 11,833
It's the best thing that happen to me since I join head-fi. Elise made me chalk up 5000 posts. Yggy will take me to the 20000 mark.... then they will boot me out.

This is now good speakers sound in my head and Yggy is only 8 days 7 hours 34 minutes and 12 seconds since powering up.

There was a story this past week about a lady in San Diego who wanted to marry a train station. It is sure fortunate you are already married!!!

May 28, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #8,185 of 11,833
20170528_083858.jpg
or should I just churn out the big $ right away?

Yes. Just churn it out and buy Yggy.

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #8,186 of 11,833
I followed this trail and I came across the legendary lyrics to the song...

Ok.. Lobster and @angpsi you need to be fast on this. There's only 2 left of these gold nuggets and they are NOS.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sylvania-6S...576896?hash=item25d7660340:g:Sf8AAOSwblZZJZvp

Damn it,,,,too late once again :scream_cat: Well, thank you anyway for calling my attention....
Either we need to install a Down Under-Hamburg-hotline or I´ll have to copy the sentence above to the clipboard :sunglasses:

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #8,188 of 11,833
Lobster, see what I told you then. That was March 23rd 2017 and now you did have a nice DAC and it's all set and just listening to music now.

People have been accused of witchcraft for less, you do realize that?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: So please show us (=my wallet and me) some mercy and be careful with your prophecies :beyersmile:

Changing the subject (kind of)... I actually just finished reading this last month:

NorseMythology_Hardback_1473940163.jpg

A great, amusing and entirely recommendable book and on top of that you get to read about Yggy in each chapter :deciduous_tree: What more could your heart desire? :grinning:

May 28, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #8,189 of 11,833
May 28, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #8,190 of 11,833
It's useful to get Sylvania 6sn7gtb chrome top and Sylvania 6sn7wgt as well. While you're at it, don't forget the Tung Sol 6sn7gtb black bakelite base 1960s tubes as well. They are not expensive but sound very good.
What about vt-231?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back