Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
May 29, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #8,206 of 11,833
It was Gaiman, albeit I wouldn't call me a connoisseur... Currently (but slowly) going through this:
images

Ah, I see :thumbsup: I consider myself a Gaiman-aficionado, definitely makes my top ten - list of modern writers!
"Good Omens" is one of his few works I haven´t read, simply because I´m not that familiar with the Discworld....
As I am also an avid reader of good graphic novels: His "Sandman" - book series is sublime. It´s one of those books you´ll never forget your entire life...

May 29, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #8,207 of 11,833
Most of the 6080 tubes were US made with a few coming from Europe.
Indeed. I don't think we've seen a Canadian-made 6080 yet.
... many of the Marconi tubes were re-branded.
Canadian Marconi and Canadian GE had a joint venture (RVC) that made tubes in Toronto but many tubes were sourced from the US, and elsewhere towards the end of the tube era.

May 30, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #8,208 of 11,833
Hi SMF,

Most of the 6080 tubes were US made with a few coming from Europe. Although Marconi is a very old Canadian company they were mainly owned by a British company from the early 50's, and from that period on it appears to me that many of the Marconi tubes were re-branded.
As always with vacuum tubes, it is difficult to find information and I may be wrong, but this is my impression nevertheless.
You could go through eBay listings of Tung Sol (or RCA 6080 tubes, but I would defer to Oskari) and see if you can find some that look identical to the ones offered.

Indeed. I don't think we've seen a Canadian-made 6080 yet.

Canadian Marconi and Canadian GE had a joint venture (RVC) that made tubes in Toronto but many tubes were sourced from the US, and elsewhere towards the end of the tube era.

Many thanks for your feedback, in the UK Marconi, was based in Chelmsford & had strong links with GEC, (the site is now owned by E2V). So, it all depends on the age of the tube as to where it was made? Is there many way of telling from the tube, as it may have a country of
origin printed on it? UT, has said that GEC 6080 are very good tubes & everywhere I look the price reflects this, along with Bendix graphite plate tubes that are almost impossible to find. I was looking at the Marconi tubes knowing of their links to GEC, and may be a more cost effective alternative.

May 30, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #8,210 of 11,833
Nothing wrong with RCA 6080. Same magic, same euphoria, just different icing. Got mine from Langrex and it's cheap.

Hi UT, how would you say GEC 6080's compare to the Mullards, how is the sound different? I have the Mullards, and would be very interested to know. Have just bitten the bullet my Bifrost Multibit, in cool black arrives today......:L3000::darthsmile: It's not a Yiggy - a bit out of my price range... Just need my Aeons to arrive this week...
the reports of how they sound with tube amps are looking good.

May 30, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #8,211 of 11,833
Hi UT, how would you say GEC 6080's compare to the Mullards, how is the sound different? I have the Mullards, and would be very interested to know. Have just bitten the bullet my Bifrost Multibit, in cool black arrives today......:L3000::darthsmile: It's not a Yiggy - a bit out of my price range... Just need my Aeons to arrive this week...
the reports of how they sound with tube amps are looking good.

There is no comparison between GEC 6080 and Mullard 6080 because my GEC 6080 hasn't arrived. :ksc75smile:

I'll let you know when it does arrive and I have a good listen.

Congrats on the black Bifrost Multibit. You should be very happy with it. Just ask @pctazhp.

May 30, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #8,213 of 11,833
Friend of mine just posted this on Facebook. It is truly a transcendental, spiritual experience, even on my Silver Bimby:

May 30, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #8,214 of 11,833
Hi pct...had clicked 'Like' and 'Reply' came up...still more work to be done here, methinks lol!!

However, am glad actually, 'cos I want to say thanks for reminding me of this first rate guitarist - must look out for more of his performances (as opposed to my usual predilection for John Williams; Julian Bream, or Segovia of course!).

May 31, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #8,215 of 11,833
There is no comparison between GEC 6080 and Mullard 6080 because my GEC 6080 hasn't arrived. :ksc75smile:

I'll let you know when it does arrive and I have a good listen.

Congrats on the black Bifrost Multibit. You should be very happy with it. Just ask @pctazhp.

Tried a pair of these from the forties, they sound great for jazz and blues and great with piano..... great with the new Black Bimby, have them in with the Mullards the separation between instruments is delightful.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122310636605?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
s-l1600.jpg

May 31, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #8,216 of 11,833
So, it all depends on the age of the tube as to where it was made?
Yes and no. Generally speaking, Japanese, Russian, East German, etc., tubes became more common when Western manufacturers were getting out of the business.
Is there many way of telling from the tube, as it may have a country of origin printed on it?
Tubes often have CoO markings, but, like printed labels in general, those aren't always reliable. Codes and construction are more reliable.

May 31, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #8,217 of 11,833
Tried a pair of these from the forties, they sound great for jazz and blues and great with piano..... great with the new Black Bimby, have them in with the Mullards the separation between instruments is delightful.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122310636605?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Tried them on the Elise? (Obviously) with adapters, right? Are these 6sn7 substitutes? What about 6sl7?

Looks like I've got some reading to do; however, I'd be obliged if you gave me a quick crash course.

May 31, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #8,218 of 11,833

Good to hear. Perhaps try the 6f8g as it's one of FA's recommended drivers. It's fun to experiment with tubes but I've discovered that if you get a good DAC, you become less particular of the tubes you use. At the expense of repeating, I find that Yggy and HD800 have been the most significant changes to my setup, particularly Yggy. No doubt, you are experiencing that yourself with Bimby.

May 31, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #8,219 of 11,833
Good to hear. Perhaps try the 6f8g as it's one of FA's recommended drivers. It's fun to experiment with tubes but I've discovered that if you get a good DAC, you become less particular of the tubes you use. At the expense of repeating, I find that Yggy and HD800 have been the most significant changes to my setup, particularly Yggy. No doubt, you are experiencing that yourself with Bimby.
That's interesting, I had the psvanes in first with the Mullards behind with the Bimby to start with, tried tha 6c8g's and it opened the whole thing up, was a bit suprised, as I replaced the rear tobes with GE's at the same time, somehow had the impression from this thred that they are not that great, they sound fab with the 6c8g's. Have a pair of Sylvania 6f8g's, don't rate them that much, too much mid and not a lot else. Looking forward to trying my Marconi 6080's when they materialise. :))

May 31, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #8,220 of 11,833
That's interesting, I had the psvanes in first with the Mullards behind with the Bimby to start with, tried tha 6c8g's and it opened the whole thing up, was a bit suprised, as I replaced the rear tobes with GE's at the same time, somehow had the impression from this thred that they are not that great, they sound fab with the 6c8g's. Have a pair of Sylvania 6f8g's, don't rate them that much, too much mid and not a lot else. Looking forward to trying my Marconi 6080's when they materialise. :))
Wow how many typo's, must give up trying to write replies on my phone, too smaller screen. The are the 6f8g's are 1950's stock bought on eBay from the states and played in the same adapters as the 6c8g's, I thought the psvane's where the best I could get for this amp sound wise, having tried some RCA's and Raytheon's, but these tubes Ken-rad 6c8g's take it to another level, Clapton's Unplugged album with the acoustic all the way through sounds amazing, Saint Saens Calme des nuits - just voices, I'm in the room........ If the amp sounds this good with these tubes...... Mmmmm need to look further. UT, would be very interested to hear the results of your GEC 6080 purchase, when you've had a listen. Need my Aeon's, seem to be taking an age to get here, sure they'll be worth the wait. Are any of you guys going to Canjam London?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back