Emotiva A-100
Apr 20, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #46 of 759
I recently purchased the Emotiva A-100 amp and I am really impressed. It is easily better than my Schiit Magni 2 Uber or my JDS O2. Not. Even. Close. I use this amp with my HD 600s and 400is. However, I did try the Pangea AC-14 C-7 power cable. It sounded awful with this amp on first listen; I let it "burn in" for 30-35 hours, and the sound did not improve. With the Pangea, the Emotiva sounded like a veil had been placed over the sound on each of my 'phones. I was actually skeptical about whether a cable could make any difference whatsoever, and to my amazement I could not only hear a difference, but it was appreciably worse. What did improve the amp's sound was switching from Monoprice (and other generic) RCAs to Audioquest Evergreen cables These cables to my various dacs transformed a very good amp into an amazing one. I've heard details in my music that I didn't know where there before. Who knew that a cable could impact the sound so much?     

I have the stock power cable and the Pangea. I hear no difference between the two. Not sure how a power cable affects the sound. To each his own I guess.

Apr 21, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #47 of 759
I have the stock power cable and the Pangea. I hear no difference between the two. Not sure how a power cable affects the sound. To each his own I guess.

Precisely my point, @canthearyou. A power cable shouldn't affect the sound, just as a change in RCA cable shouldn't make a noticeable difference. I have no explanation for the very noticeable impact of these cables.  

Apr 23, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #49 of 759
I recently purchased the Emotiva A-100 amp and I am really impressed. It is easily better than my Schiit Magni 2 Uber or my JDS O2. Not. Even. Close. I use this amp with my HD 600s and 400is. However, I did try the Pangea AC-14 C-7 power cable. It sounded awful with this amp on first listen; I let it "burn in" for 30-35 hours, and the sound did not improve. With the Pangea, the Emotiva sounded like a veil had been placed over the sound on each of my 'phones. I was actually skeptical about whether a cable could make any difference whatsoever, and to my amazement I could not only hear a difference, but it was appreciably worse. What did improve the amp's sound was switching from Monoprice (and other generic) RCAs to Audioquest Evergreen cables These cables to my various dacs transformed a very good amp into an amazing one. I've heard details in my music that I didn't know where there before. Who knew that a cable could impact the sound so much?     

A better anaswer might have been the Pangea just did not work well with my system. I have used the Evergreen cables and found them to be a little dark sounding that is compared to their cinnamon even though for some aplactions I found the evergreen very nice for an entry level cable. My point is most stuff is not really good or bad it just may not work when paired with other pieces like dacs and cd players I treat all parts cables and all as if they were just as important if others did this they would get more enjoyment form thier over all system. So many times we throw the baby out with the bath water. I would hang on to the cable if you ever change dacs or cables you may be in for a suprise. Just some thoughts that may help.

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #50 of 759
A better anaswer might have been the Pangea just did not work well with my system. I have used the Evergreen cables and found them to be a little dark sounding that is compared to their cinnamon even though for some aplactions I found the evergreen very nice for an entry level cable. My point is most stuff is not really good or bad it just may not work when paired with other pieces like dacs and cd players I treat all parts cables and all as if they were just as important if others did this they would get more enjoyment form thier over all system. So many times we throw the baby out with the bath water. I would hang on to the cable if you ever change dacs or cables you may be in for a suprise. Just some thoughts that may help.

Cavedave, I certainly didn’t say that the Pangea is a bad power cable. In my previous post I said that this cable sounded appreciably worse than the stock cable on the Emotiva A-100. There are, of course, a number of variables at play—the specific dacs and headphones I used, for instance—but my point was that, to my surprise, the power cable certainly impacted the sound of the Emotiva, and, to my ears, not in a positive way.

My corollary point was that the Evergreen RCA cables also changed the sound. This experience also surprised me—and that is something I wanted to share with others. I said that they improved the details (vs. Monoprice) I could discern from my HD600s and 400is on several dacs running into the Emotiva.

The upshot of my post was that I experienced power cables and RCAs impacting the sound of the Emotiva. I did not expect to hear differences, and there is nothing scientific I know of that can explain my subjective experiences. Speaking to your point about synergy between equipment, I think that the Pangea just does not pair up very well with the Emotiva. Others might have a different experience.   

Apr 23, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #51 of 759
Point taken and agreed cables really do make a diffrence maybe not always a good one in every setup.
In my set up with the A-100 I am using the Edition x and have taylored every thing for this headphone.
The two you use are two of my favorites and very fine headphones just diffrent sound signatures therefore diffrent needs.
I have a bunch of power cables I tried and some were brighter then the pangea but to briight for my needs with my set up.
The Pangea works well with the A100 but as you find out it depends on the rest of your set up. Better not tell any body cables really do make a diffrence. Guess what so does where you set your equipment and what it is set on the list is endless and for most not even worth bringing up. You sound like you are on your way to some interesting findings.
In the process sorry about your wallet.

May 3, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #53 of 759
Not sure what qualifies as a “really high end amp,” but in addition to having the Basx A100, I have an Audeze Deckard (and some lower end amps/dacs such as the Fiio x5, Schiit M & M stack and O2/Odac). What I can tell you is that the Emotiva is extraordinary for the price. It drives my HD600s effortlessly, with wonderful clarity and extension. That being said, I don’t think it does a great job with low impedance cans. My 400is are very disappointing out of the Emotiva. They don’t sound any better than they do out of the Schiit stack. The Deckard, however, makes the Hifiman’s shine. But as wonderful as the Deckard is, I would be perfectly happy with the Emotiva if I were only driving high impedance headphones. The HD600s have a little more bass, a slightly thicker, richer sound out of the Deckard than the Emotiva, but the differences are marginal.

May 7, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #54 of 759
Did you happen to put the jumpers in for your 400i? Or put em on taps?
Not sure what qualifies as a “really high end amp,” but in addition to having the Basx A100, I have an Audeze Deckard (and some lower end amps/dacs such as the Fiio x5, Schiit M & M stack and O2/Odac). What I can tell you is that the Emotiva is extraordinary for the price. It drives my HD600s effortlessly, with wonderful clarity and extension. That being said, I don’t think it does a great job with low impedance cans. My 400is are very disappointing out of the Emotiva. They don’t sound any better than they do out of the Schiit stack. The Deckard, however, makes the Hifiman’s shine. But as wonderful as the Deckard is, I would be perfectly happy with the Emotiva if I were only driving high impedance headphones. The HD600s have a little more bass, a slightly thicker, richer sound out of the Deckard than the Emotiva, but the differences are marginal.

May 14, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #56 of 759
For those who might be interested, I tried the jumpers on the Emotiva this morning. As expected, there is not much play available on the volume pot. The HD600s do not sound especially different than they did without the jumpers; the 400is, however, are much improved. The Emotiva now has plenty of power to drive them.

Edit: I took the jumpers off. I found that the lack of play on the volume pot was an issue. There is some channel imbalance at the lower levels--and sometimes I don't want to listen to music at higher volumes. Sound is wonderful, however, when I turn the nob up. I decided to live with an excellent amp for the HD600s with the jumpers removed, while using the 400is strictly on my Audeze Deckard.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #57 of 759
really considering this with my desktop setup > asus essence stx > a-100

any comment how it matches with the hd800?

Jul 23, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #58 of 759
Would something like a AKG 553 pro be considered sensitive because i run those sometimes through my a-100 and i started to hear a Hiss from them a while after a got the amp that didn't happen when i got it so i'm wondering if my amp broke or my headphone i don't hear any hiss through my planars (this is with everything but power disconnected with it on but i don't hear this hiss if i'm going straight through my computer

Jul 24, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #59 of 759
yea the akg k553(and the whole K55x line) are quite sensitive. What is your setup? The noise could be coming from some where further up your audio chain.

Sep 8, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #60 of 759
Y'all I bought this headphone amp and I couldn't believe it's selling for this price. It is a DREAM with the HD600s. The HD600's no longer feel dark or laid back. It simply came alive. Soundstage, resolution, unlimited dynamics. Oh and really low bass. Just insane really. Imo to beat this amp you are going to have to swing up to a Schiit Ragnarok. It has got huge amounts of power capability and I believe this is the reason the HD600's came alive. Lots of control.

I removed the jumper and absolutely heard a difference in dynamics - there was no smear. Just lightning quick transients. The first time I felt my headphone rig was not second class to my speaker rig. The jumper limtis the current output of the A-100 to prevent high sensitivity headphones from frying. Not a problem for the HD600. With the jumpers off, the A-100 pushes a godly 1300 mwatts in to 300 ohms. Doesn't sound like much? Check out how well other amps do at 300 ohms? You'll be lucky if they squeek out even a 100 mwatts. I've seen amp units that gasp out 14 mwatts at 300 ohms.
At lower impedances the A-100 will push 8.5 watts at 50 ohms more than enough to fry the headphones. Hence the jumpers to prevent over driving lower impedance headphones.
But with the HD600's....it's just a dream.

Speaker and DAC rig: (Axiom M80's fully balanced to Emotiva DC- to XPA-1 gen 2 monoblocks in class A mode + room treatments. With a source the Musiland Digital Times via BNC output. About a $4500 setup). I can't believe I'm saying this but it absolutely competed with this nice sounding speaker setup. In some aspects it did better as well.
I dare you to find anything close anywhere near that's price range.
Love it!
34960217153_99e14cd225_z.jpg

Along with the huge torroidal transformer, you will see that it has a ridiculous 20,000 mf of capacitance and that performance really shows bringing very low bass and extreme control to this set of headphones. The treble also really opened up. I am definitely hearing more air. The control allows everything to sound holographic with large amounts of layering. The fan is there for safety but it never activates.
35600526832_120647c5ac_c.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back