Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 20, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #6,121 of 22,467
Hey, there was an iOS update today, and I don't want to jinx anything... but it seems like the compatibility issue might be fixed. Just listened to a whole album on my iPhone 6 through Hugo2 without any glitches or disconnections. Good news, if it holds out.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #6,124 of 22,467
Hey, there was an iOS update today, and I don't want to jinx anything... but it seems like the compatibility issue might be fixed. Just listened to a whole album on my iPhone 6 through Hugo2 without any glitches or disconnections. Good news, if it holds out.
I have not had a single issue with my iphone SE and the Hugo 2. Now you've got me scared to update the OS. Hopefully you didn't jinx me too.. :)

Which iphone are you using?

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #6,125 of 22,467
I have not had a single issue with my iphone SE and the Hugo 2. Now you've got me scared to update the OS. Hopefully you didn't jinx me too.. :)

Which iphone are you using?

iPhone 6, which worked great with Mojo until iOS 10.3.1, when Apple made some sort of change that messed up the compatibility with a range of outboard audio devices, including my new Hugo2. But today's 10.3.3 update seems to have fixed it for me.

More background here: https://www.whathifi.com/news/apple-ios-update-prevents-dacs-working-your-iphone

Jul 21, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #6,126 of 22,467
cello concerto in b minor, op.104-Dvorak // cellist Alisa Weilerstein.

the sound of the cello (white filter, max. x feed) is quite breathtaking for someone making the jump from entry level dacs such as modi multibit and yulong u100. the cello bow touching the strings resonates in the most natural and organic manner and is quite startling for me. nothing else to add.

(Monster power mains conditioner--imac 27 late 2013 512gb ssd--tidal hifi lossless--audioquest forest--chord hugo 2--beyerdynamic dt880 600 ohm premium.)

got my eyes on aeon's as and when funds allow.:smile_phones:

Oriental Bass by Renaud Garcia-Fons is must try album for H2 owners. a great test of the musicality of H2. available on tidal.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #6,127 of 22,467

The mojo thread seems to be having no luck with the iso update. Hugo 2 does not seem to have the disconnects has often as my mojo. Maybe once per a couple hours of listening. Mojo disconnects a few times within an hour session.
Just installed 10.3.3. Hope nothing goes wrong.

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #6,128 of 22,467
First I need to disclose that I am only listening to opera, which might limit the usefulness of my comments:

a) bass
Very strong, possibly a little bit too strong. This does not matter too much for opera because very low frequencies quite rare. LCD 4 has more true bass, e.g. vega overdoes say 40-100 Hz, but fades away below.
LCD4 goes lower

b) mids
Very very nice and natural, almost like lcd 4 or sr 007

c) hights
also very nice, have a certain sparkling, which you hear not a lot, both lcd 4 and sr 007 do better

d) voices
very good, this is a strength

e) balance between different frequencies
very similar to lcd 4 - like it

On the contrary:Good to hear, even more people here than I thought seem to listen to "high information content" music with their HUGO 2s.
And opera is one of the most demanding genres one can use to evaluate any HIFI equipment with imo.
While I would not use any of the many IEMs available I still get a good enough idea how HUGO 2 obviously plays opera from your comparisons with LCD4 and SR 007.
As far as IEMs are concerned I don't like the idea of sticking things straight into my ear canals and thus completely bypassing the outer ears, especially with Opera where both voices and instruments imho need to be heard at a natural distance to please me at least.
By the way what are or favourite operas since you mention Opera as not very bass heavy?
Some of my absolute favourites can be quite bass heavy at times, like Puccini's Tosca or Turandot for example. Or Richard Strauss's Die Frau ohne Schatten, and Elektra and Salome. And Wagner's der Ring des Nibelungen operas also go deep indeed.Verdi also digs deep in some operas. The opening scene and some others of Othello for example are a big challenge for bass accuracy for any system apart from being some of the most emotionally moving and rewarding "high information content music" ever composed.
Apart from not liking IEMs put into my ears I think what you mentioned about the Vegas is true about many others too. Many of them including the ones you mention, are intentionally balanced to impress with exaggerated "boom bass" to please the pop and rock and electronica crowd.
The only time I use IEMs are on flights, and even those supplied in business class suck imho.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #6,129 of 22,467
These are my words, not those of Chord's, but I am confident this isn't an oversight or QC issue, on Chord's part. IMO, it is better for the plastic balls to be fractionally undersized than a 100%-snug fit, because it provides a factor of safety in the unlikely scenario that dust or grit were to try to jam one of the balls/buttons in a 'making-contact' position.

I confess I still can't decide whether I prefer silver or black casework (same goes for DAVE, too!)

Hmm, there has been a lot of talk about the rattling issue. But in a tropical climate where at least I personally would be using a HUGO2 a lot, it might be a blessing in disguise. There might be less risk of them getting stuck and inoperable,as the little buttons on my Benchmark did too often under non A/C condititons.
As far as the colour issue is concerned I listen to music via my dacs. I don't look at them more than when turning them on or off.
But the little Christmas Tree lights on HUGO 2 are a bit worrying if they can't be turned off completely.

Jul 21, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #6,130 of 22,467
cello concerto in b minor, op.104-Dvorak // cellist Alisa Weilerstein.

the sound of the cello (white filter, max. x feed) is quite breathtaking for someone making the jump from entry level dacs such as modi multibit and yulong u100. the cello bow touching the strings resonates in the most natural and organic manner and is quite startling for me. nothing else to add.

(Monster power mains conditioner--imac 27 late 2013 512gb ssd--tidal hifi lossless--audioquest forest--chord hugo 2--beyerdynamic dt880 600 ohm premium.)

got my eyes on aeon's as and when funds allow.:smile_phones:

Oriental Bass by Renaud Garcia-Fons is must try album for H2 owners. a great test of the musicality of H2. available on tidal.
Agreed about the detailed of the bow strokes and finger thumping of the trills, espically during pp passages. The only thing about the recording for me was, after reading @Christer's post, was having the impression of her playing personally to me in front of my seat, while the orchestra was back on stage somewhere. I was privileged to be able to go to many symphonic concerts at my school. The soloist, or duetists were, of course, on stage with the orchestra. I enjoyed the track, but found the placement just a little disconcerting, to coin a phrase. But, the H2 really did something for the staging, as opposed to my old family stereo's HP jack.

Jul 21, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #6,131 of 22,467
Hmm, there has been a lot of talk about the rattling issue. But in a tropical climate where at least I personally would be using a HUGO2 a lot, it might be a blessing in disguise. There might be less risk of them getting stuck and inoperable,as the little buttons on my Benchmark did too often under non A/C condititons.
As far as the colour issue is concerned I listen to music via my dacs. I don't look at them more than when turning them on or off.
But the little Christmas Tree lights on HUGO 2 are a bit worrying if they can't be turned off completely.
I may be wrong, but I think the lights can be ignored. As someone said earlier, they just save the trouble of writing nominclature all over the case.

Jul 21, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #6,134 of 22,467
The mojo thread seems to be having no luck with the iso update. Hugo 2 does not seem to have the disconnects has often as my mojo. Maybe once per a couple hours of listening. Mojo disconnects a few times within an hour session.
Just installed 10.3.3. Hope nothing goes wrong.

Interesting, I haven't tried it with the Mojo yet. But before this update, the Hugo2 cut out every couple of minutes; last night I listened for three hours without a hitch.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #6,135 of 22,467
On the contrary:Good to hear, even more people here than I thought seem to listen to "high information content" music with their HUGO 2s.
And opera is one of the most demanding genres one can use to evaluate any HIFI equipment with imo.
While I would not use any of the many IEMs available I still get a good enough idea how HUGO 2 obviously plays opera from your comparisons with LCD4 and SR 007.
As far as IEMs are concerned I don't like the idea of sticking things straight into my ear canals and thus completely bypassing the outer ears, especially with Opera where both voices and instruments imho need to be heard at a natural distance to please me at least.
By the way what are or favourite operas since you mention Opera as not very bass heavy?
Some of my absolute favourites can be quite bass heavy at times, like Puccini's Tosca or Turandot for example. Or Richard Strauss's Die Frau ohne Schatten, and Elektra and Salome. And Wagner's der Ring des Nibelungen operas also go deep indeed.Verdi also digs deep in some operas. The opening scene and some others of Othello for example are a big challenge for bass accuracy for any system apart from being some of the most emotionally moving and rewarding "high information content music" ever composed.
Apart from not liking IEMs put into my ears I think what you mentioned about the Vegas is true about many others too. Many of them including the ones you mention, are intentionally balanced to impress with exaggerated "boom bass" to please the pop and rock and electronica crowd.
The only time I use IEMs are on flights, and even those supplied in business class suck imho.
Hello Christer

I actually prefer big headphones and was always carrying my lcd x with me. Since the broke down in HK I bought the vegas, firstly because I wanted to listen to Music and secondly because I have too many big headphones. Ultimately I was pleasantly surprised by the vega's... As soon I have lcd-x will travel withthem together w Vega, sleeping w lcdx on the head = challenging...

Now back to bassy opera: this depends on frequency range you consider bassy. I like very much Handel, Mozart, Donizetti, and you agre right, there are places with sub-bass (such as Haendel Rinaldo, where a thunderstorm is creared by vibrating a metal plate), but For example Le Nozze di Figaro is not too heavy on bass...

What are my favorites: Mozart - Le Nozze, Don Giovanni, Cosi van tutte, Zauberfloete, Haendel - Tamerlano, Rinaldo, Wagner - Meistersinger, Ring, Fliegender Hollaender, Donizetti, Monteverdi.

re Headphones in airlines, fully agree, I use normally the audeze' because the quality of the supplied ones is inadequate

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back