Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
May 24, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #601 of 4,904
Question for current Blu II owners:

Have any of you checked to see if there is any additional resolution gained on mass strings from Red Book playback. It's been a question that has intrigued me ever since Rob floated specs for the Blu II.

I am sure there will be plenty of inferior Red Book masterings incapable of reproducing mass strings properly but that may not be a fault of the RB protocol. Over the decades many have sighted this as the reason RB fails in comparison to Vinyl or high resolution recordings. I have never been convinced by that argument and I have long suspected it was the inadequacies of the conversion process which let the protocol down rather than a resolution ceiling.

May 24, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #602 of 4,904
I've Finally got Blu II in my system and, for anyone following this with half an interest in whether to buy the Blu II or not, I think it is bad news - for your wallet!

I'm not one for big reviews and I want to get back to listening, but the words that come to mind for me are:

Smooth, refined, transparent and analogue. I can't recall who it was who said master tape, but it's a fair description. In fact it is more like being there in the room with the artists whilst the recording is taking place.

My system is Melco N1-A, mRendu, Blu II, Dave, Chord SPM 1200 MK II, Dali Euphonia MS4. I haven't tried headphones yet. (HD800 & 800S)

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #603 of 4,904
Talking about power cables I having a Tours delivered tomorrow if any one is interested I could compare Dave with or without the Torus.

I did test an expensive cable with a mains block and the difference is pronounced, Torus was better but I tested the whole system not the Dave independently.

But I do have interference hence different USB cables made a big difference, I note some of you have had different experiences so you have clean electric and no RF possibly..?

Oh I get better results with a Melco than a laptop.

May 24, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #604 of 4,904
I've Finally got Blu II in my system and, for anyone following this with half an interest in whether to buy the Blu II or not, I think it is bad news - for your wallet!

I'm not one for big reviews and I want to get back to listening, but the words that come to mind for me are:

Smooth, refined, transparent and analogue. I can't recall who it was who said master tape, but it's a fair description.

My system is Melco N1-A, mRendu, Blu II, Dave, Chord SPM 1200 MK II, Dali Euphonia MS4. I haven't tried headphones yet. (HD800 & 800S)

Congratulations. Keep us updated.

May 24, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #607 of 4,904

Smooth, refined, transparent and analogue. I can't recall who it was who said master tape, but it's a fair description. In fact it is more like being there in the room with the artists whilst the recording is taking place.

Ah, now you have eaten that forbidden fruit and cannot go back!

I found it difficult to play the Dave without the Blu2 having once heard it.

For me the Blu2 MScaler is really good performance for the money. It is a LOT of money but it is staggering music and for me it improves the music by as much as the Dave did.

(I'm listening to Agnes Obel, Citizen of Glass at the moment).

So this is why I say to all who will listen, Sell your exotic power cables, sell your power conditioning systems, sell all your foo items and if necessary sell a kidney and buy a Blu2. You will be happier and have better music. By the way, I probably stream 90% of my music. Maybe more because I listen to streamed BBC Radio 3 through Blu2 whilst I work.

@Malcyg looking forward to more thoughts when you have more time. I like the look of your Dali speakers.

May 24, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #608 of 4,904
Although my Blu 2 has not yet arrived, I had a pair of Black Rhodium Allegro BNC terminated 75 Ohm digital interconnects delivered today:

http://www.blackrhodium.co.uk/digital-subwoofer.html

They have ferrites at either end, which might be useful in the light of Rob's comments about RFI.

Black Rhodium is probabaly a brand not well known outside the U.K. I've always rated their products highly, which are reasonably priced, and use their mains cables on all my kit, and have a new mains cable ready for the Blu 2. I also have a pair of their interconnects exiting the DAVE.

I'll report back in due course.
Crgreen, thanks for the reply. I have HFC cables in my system from the middle of their very expensive product line. I have a mix of new and used cables. I inquired about BNC cables but they would necessarily be prototypes and, anyway, the company hasn't returned my email as of yet. The Black Rhodiums at under 600 USD a pair shipped are now in the running. Since I already made final payment on my Blu2(i.e., it should be arriving hopefully by mid-June) I may end up getting a cheap pair of BNC cables from a local guitar shop just to have around.

May 24, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #609 of 4,904
Crgreen, thanks for the reply. I have HFC cables in my system from the middle of their very expensive product line. I have a mix of new and used cables. I inquired about BNC cables but they would necessarily be prototypes and, anyway, the company hasn't returned my email as of yet. The Black Rhodiums at under 600 USD a pair shipped are now in the running. Since I already made final payment on my Blu2(i.e., it should be arriving hopefully by mid-June) I may end up getting a cheap pair of BNC cables from a local guitar shop just to have around.

Listen to Rob Watts, exotic and expensive cables are not necessary (I call 600USD VERY expensive). Try something nearer to 30 USD. My Blu2 sounds sublime with 20 GBP cables.

May 24, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #610 of 4,904
Thanks Triode, they are great speakers. I got them at a discount, but they have proven to be expensive because once I got them, I realised that my system wasn't able to do them justice. This has led to a complete replacement of everything over the past few years so, yeah, pretty expensive speakers.

I am liking Blu II very much so far. The USB input loses nothing compared to the CD and well recorded high res files sound excellent, which is good because Roon is my main method of playing music, be it files, Tidal or radio.

I honestly thought my system was pretty much perfect and was sceptical as to whether the Blu II would bring much improvement. Consequently, I managed to get a unit on the basis that I could return it if it wasn't a worthwhile improvement. Well, it is to my ears.

I have two cheap Canare BNC cables as per your recommendation but, much to your disgust, I will be trying some Foo cables just to be sure.

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #612 of 4,904
As I understand it, Rob is awaiting some further cables and I'm not sure he's reached a clear conclusion in respect of the cables he's trying.

I quote the man, “Yes there is a small difference; so far don't spend huge sums on audiophile cables, just quality RF cables.”

May 24, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #613 of 4,904
I have two cheap Canare BNC cables as per your recommendation but, much to your disgust, I will be trying some Foo cables just to be sure.

Glad to hear you like the Blu2. It is your money and you can redistribute it where you wish. Foo digital cables are a very good way of fulfilling that roll. :wink:

May 24, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #615 of 4,904
That's only the last sentence of his observations, and to quote the man: he says: "so far".

Yes but his only real conclusion 'so far' was that longer cables night have better RF rejection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back