Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced
Jul 24, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #1,201 of 1,746
But, Hugo 2 can operate without batteries, although not suggested by Rob.??? Whatever that means.

If I'm remembering correctly, I did read that you can plug it into the wall, and after 24 hours, it switches to operating without battery power. But I feel like I'm missing something there.

I've been using my Mojo permanently plugged into the wall via a 5V 2A charger.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #1,202 of 1,746
If I'm remembering correctly, I did read that you can plug it into the wall, and after 24 hours, it switches to operating without battery power. But I feel like I'm missing something there.

You are and so is everyone else. I think what Rob means is that desktop mode on the Hugo 2 uses the batteries but keeps them at a narrow optimum range trickle charged. Otherwise, we are back to his very heavy warning about not running the Hugo 2 without batteries, for best SQ, I would assume, but as he claims, never tested.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #1,203 of 1,746
I currently use 2qute and very happy with it but when 3qute launch, is it possible to have balance output with on/off switch?

That would be nice. When I had the 2Qute, I left it plugged in 24/7 (sometimes put something on top when going to bed so it wouldn't be a nightlight...lol) and used RCA cables to connect it to a passive preamp, then RCA to XLR cables to connect that to active speakers. But I do like the ability of Chord DAC/amps to be used as a digital preamp, which lets me, for example, connect the Mojo directly to the speakers via a 3.5 mm to dual XLR cable, as well as adjust the volume silently.

So now I'm faced with the dilemma of having digital preamp functionality (along with being able to drive headphones directly from it) with the Hugo 2, but the battery might die too soon...or not having to worry about batteries with the 2Qute successor, but I wouldn't have a digital preamp or be able to drive headphones without an external amp. The Schiit SYS passive preamp makes annoying scratching sounds when I adjust the volume. If I get another passive preamp, it would probably have to be significantly more expensive to be silent.

Knowing me, though, maybe I'd just be able to upgrade to the DAVE before the Hugo 2 battery would ever die. I mean, I did get five figures worth of headphones just this year.

You are and so is everyone else. I think what Rob means is that desktop mode on the Hugo 2 uses the batteries but keeps them at a narrow optimum range trickle charged. Otherwise, we are back to his very heavy warning about not running the Hugo 2 without batteries, for best SQ.

That sounds like the more likely scenario.

Jul 24, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #1,204 of 1,746
So now I'm faced with the dilemma of having digital preamp functionality (along with being able to drive headphones directly from it) with the Hugo 2, but the battery might die too soon...or not having to worry about batteries with the 2Qute successor, but I wouldn't have a digital preamp or be able to drive headphones without an external amp. The Schiit SYS passive preamp makes annoying scratching sounds when I adjust the volume. If I get another passive preamp, it would probably have to be significantly more expensive to be silent
We don't yet know what the 3Qute features will be and if it will exist or be combined with a new TT desktop. But I would imagine that, hope, that the a new 3Qute would have a digital volume control, preamp, remotely. Currently I use my 2Qute to drive my highly efficient speakers directly. Don't need a preamp or amp. I control the volume with JRiver from my server. The 2Qute does have a single op amp. I get plenty of volume range for my nearfield/small room listening, it beats having any other preamp or amp for SQ.
As far as having a balanced output, I hope not. Makes no sense if your going to drive the speakers directly, short distance. RCA works, even speaker posts. A headphone output would also be nice. Dump the optical or spdif. USB only is sufficient.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #1,205 of 1,746
Same battery, I believe, but the batteries are not hard wired in. There is a connector in the wired line for easier replacement. I would say the Hugo 2 lipo batteries may actually die sooner depending on use, bigger draw. Definitely before 3 years are up, more likely within 2.
You really are the most pessimistic person that I have come across regarding batteries. Do you have any hard evidence that would pass rigorous scientific and engineering scrutiny, for opining that the Hugo 2 batteries are likely to fail within 2 years?
If not, then you are posting unfounded claims, that will negatively impact the sales of Chord products, and causing Chord financial damage.
I have read your pessimistic posts for 18 months now, and have yet to see any evidence of your oft forcasted mountains of Chord dacs needing to be returned, because of failed batteries.
Please be understanding that given that track record of failed predictions, you should be more circumspect when you try to scare forum members away from buying chord products.

Jul 24, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #1,206 of 1,746
We don't yet know what the 3Qute features will be and if it will exist or be combined with a new TT desktop. But I would imagine that, hope, that the a new 3Qute would have a digital volume control, preamp, remotely. Currently I use my 2Qute to drive my highly efficient speakers directly. Don't need a preamp or amp. I control the volume with JRiver from my server. The 2Qute does have a single op amp. I get plenty of volume range for my nearfield/small room listening, it beats having any other preamp or amp for SQ.
As far as having a balanced output, I hope not. Makes no sense if your going to drive the speakers directly, short distance. RCA works, even speaker posts. A headphone output would also be nice. Dump the optical or spdif. USB only is sufficient.

I only use active speakers (the $10K+ Genelecs I want are still active), so XLR is what I use. It's pretty cool that Chord DACs can drive passive speakers! (Rob said even the Mojo can.) I wouldn't want to use the volume control in my player, though. Digital preamp functionality in a 2Qute successor would be a welcome feature. But some people have major problems with USB. It only makes sense for a high-end DAC to have other inputs for those who want them. I'm using TOSLINK for the first time via an audio interface connected to the Mojo.

Jul 24, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #1,207 of 1,746
You really are the most pessimistic person that I have come across regarding batteries. Do you have any hard evidence that would pass rigorous scientific and engineering scrutiny, for opining that the Hugo 2 batteries are likely to fail within 2 years?
If not, then you are posting unfounded claims, that will negatively impact the sales of Chord products, and causing Chord financial damage.
I have read your pessimistic posts for 18 months now, and have yet to see any evidence of your oft forcasted mountains of Chord dacs needing to be returned, because of failed batteries.
Please be understanding that given that track record of failed predictions, you should be more circumspect when you try to scare forum members away from buying chord products.

And I can't understand your lack of understanding on this subject of lifespan of lipo batteries. The internet is full of information concerning such. If your using your DAC on a continuous basis, then that is heavy use. There have been a large number of Lipo battery failures with the Hugo 1 depending on usage. They don't all post here.

Here you go, direct from the RC folks who use these batteries all the time, as I do for other hobbies.

Lifespan and factors
lipo battery could be charged and discharged for 300-500 times,such as Gens ace 7.4v lipo battery. It is better to partially discharge the lipo battery rather than fully discharge. Once the battery is off the production line, the lifespan for battery begins to count down, no matter whether you use it or not. The increase of internal resistance, caused by the oxidation, gives rise to the decline of the capacity. Finally, the electrolyzer will reach a point that though the batteries are fully charged, it cannot release the power.

here is the link http://www.genstattu.com/blog/a-few-factors-that-influence-the-lipo-battery-lifespan/

Here is the battery used, has about 2000 cycles, which is very good.
http://www.enix-energies.co.uk/li-ion-battery-1s1p-icr-18650-un38-3-3-75v-2-2ah-fils-mgl2811.html
So, heavy use, yeah, about 2-3 years. Also having it fully charged in non use is not good for battery life.

I could find information online all day long on this subject. No matter how you cut it, these batteries are going to fail sooner or later. I think 2 to 3 years is a fair range to expect so. In fact, here's audio sanctuary making a business of it. https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/chord-hugo-version-1-replacement-battery-service.html
Guess they wouldn't create a page for all those non Hugo 1 battery failures.

If you don't like my lifespan range then what would you give it?
I and Alchemist here it was between 2-3 years. What makes you think the same batteries in the Hugo2 will perform differently? or the TT?

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #1,208 of 1,746
And I can't understand your lack of understanding on this subject of lifespan of lipo batteries. The internet is full of information concerning such. If your using your DAC on a continuous basis, then that is heavy use. There have been a large number of Lipo battery failures with the Hugo 1 depending on usage. They don't all post here.

Here you go, direct from the RC folks who use these batteries all the time, as I do for other hobbies.

Lifespan and factors
lipo battery could be charged and discharged for 300-500 times,such as Gens ace 7.4v lipo battery. It is better to partially discharge the lipo battery rather than fully discharge. Once the battery is off the production line, the lifespan for battery begins to count down, no matter whether you use it or not. The increase of internal resistance, caused by the oxidation, gives rise to the decline of the capacity. Finally, the electrolyzer will reach a point that though the batteries are fully charged, it cannot release the power.

here is the link http://www.genstattu.com/blog/a-few-factors-that-influence-the-lipo-battery-lifespan/

I could find information online all day long on this subject. No matter how you cut it, these batteries are going to fail sooner or later. I think 2 to 3 years is a fair range to expect so. In fact, here's audio sanctuary making a business of it. https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/chord-hugo-version-1-replacement-battery-service.html
Guess they wouldn't create a page for all those non Hugo 1 battery failures.

If you don't like my lifespan range then what would you give it?
I and Alchemist here it was between 2-3 years. What makes you think the same batteries in the Hugo2 will perform differently? or the TT?
In post #1198 you state 'I would say the Hugo 2 lipo batteries may actually die sooner depending on use, bigger draw. Definitely before 3 years are up, more likely within 2'
Now that I have challenged you, you change your estimate to 'I think 2 to 3 years is a fair range to expect so'.

The Gens ace battery that you have linked to, is not the same model that is used in Chord dacs, so why should the problems be the same?
It is quite clear from @Rob Watts posts, that he/Chord have put a lot of thought into the design of the intelligent charging circuit, so as to maximise the battery life - that gives me confidence that the Hugo 2 battery life will exceed your negative predictions.

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #1,209 of 1,746
In post #1198 you state 'I would say the Hugo 2 lipo batteries may actually die sooner depending on use, bigger draw. Definitely before 3 years are up, more likely within 2'
Now that I have challenged you, you change your estimate to 'I think 2 to 3 years is a fair range to expect so'.

The Gens ace battery that you have linked to, is not the same model that is used in Chord dacs, so why should the problems be the same?
It is quite clear from @Rob Watts posts, that he/Chord have put a lot of thought into the design of the intelligent charging circuit, so as to maximise the battery life - that gives me confidence that the Hugo 2 battery life will exceed your negative predictions.

See additional information added to my post on the exact batteries of Chord. The Gens ace info is just a case in point. Guess you missed the important part about Lipo batteries life clock clicking down as soon as they are off the line, regardless of use.
LOL, okay, we are going to play semantics. I still say closer to 2 than 3. Guess we will find out in time. How long do you think?

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #1,211 of 1,746
See additional information added to my post on the exact batteries of Chord. The Gens ace info is just a case in point. Guess you missed the important part about Lipo batteries life clock clicking down as soon as they are off the line, regardless of use.
LOL, okay, we are going to play semantics. I still say closer to 2 than 3. Guess we will find out in time. How long do you think?
I think longer than you predict.
You laugh at semantics, but in the real world of engineering product development, if you change your estimate of battery life, every time that your prediction is challenged, then no-one will attach any credibility to what you say.
Anyway lets just shake hands, agree to disagree, and move on. :)

Jul 24, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #1,212 of 1,746
Same battery, I believe, but the batteries are not hard wired in. There is a connector in the wired line for easier replacement. I would say the Hugo 2 lipo batteries may actually die sooner depending on use, bigger draw. Definitely before 3 years are up, more likely within 2.
No problem, Here is the exact posting your making a big fuss about. Can't see how you can draw my prediction for 2 years only from it. But hey, like you said, you work in engineering where being exact is necessary. I'm over it, seeing as you can't even give an estimate on battery life.
I say my prediction will hold true as written above. Sure sounds like 2-3 years, closer to 2. What did you say for how long the batteries will last? :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #1,213 of 1,746
So now I'm faced with the dilemma of having digital preamp functionality (along with being able to drive headphones directly from it) with the Hugo 2, but the battery might die too soon...or not having to worry about batteries with the 2Qute successor, but I wouldn't have a digital preamp or be able to drive headphones without an external amp. The Schiit SYS passive preamp makes annoying scratching sounds when I adjust the volume. If I get another passive preamp, it would probably have to be significantly more expensive to be silent.

Knowing me, though, maybe I'd just be able to upgrade to the DAVE before the Hugo 2 battery would ever die. I mean, I did get five figures worth of headphones just this year.

That sounds like the more likely scenario.

I think you shouldn't worry about battery life that much (even I do), I use Hugo so heavily, 6 - 8 hours in workday and 14 - 16 hours in weekend almost every cycle day, it's no doubt why it die too soon for me.
Also if you can replace battery by yourself or get very good service from distributor then it's positive. I've negative experience with local distributor, just for replace Hugo's battery I've to wait for 3 MONTHS.

I end up buy 2Qute for replace after 2 months absence of Hugo while I believe Hugo TT will sound better but I don't want "3 MONTHS service" just for replace battery anymore so 2Qute is fit this case.
But some of my friend still use Hugo without problem even exceed 3 years and for battery I've ever read somewhere I can't remember but those guy can change Hugo's battery on their own within 15 mins.

For Dave it'll be the best choice IMO if you can afford the price, in my country Dave will cost around 10k+ GBP, it's way too expensive for me.

PS : Anyway Chord Electronics only provide 18 months warranty for battery, then we can assume they know how long it'll last if heavily use isn't it?

Jul 25, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #1,214 of 1,746
Your right about that. Same Lipo batteries in the TT plus the super caps. Batteries will fail. Big reason I went with the 2Qute, let alone sound signature. Which is the reason I won't buy a Hugo2.

Thanks for telling us what you are not doing.

Thus far, two road trips with H2 interrupting my norm of desk top battery mode. I had planned to use Mojo on the road trips, but after hearing H2, I could not resist.

I am going to enjoy H2 home and in travel, and trust Chord's statement about battery. If, years from now, I need battery replacement, so be it.

The musicality and enjoyment are too much to miss.

I've used lipo batteries for many years including high lumen flashlights (they get hot) and one pitching machine (8 years now with same battery). "Semantics" is often code for, "uh oh, I can't answer you."
Warranty is standard.
Listen to John Franks talk about battery.

My prediction for H2 battery replacement is November 2028.
It's this short because I intend lots of on the go use. 11 years of "hard" use.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #1,215 of 1,746
Have anyone compare Gungnir mb vs 2qute? My friend is selling 2qute and i´m not sure is it good deal. He ask 900€ about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back