Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jul 23, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #10,216 of 33,689
Thanks for the feedback, I am still looking for the next ChiFi gem. Could be that one of the other top earphones I've reviewed suit you more than the ZS5 or that the ideal model is in the next price bracket up. As I pay for my own earphones I've shied away from $40 upwards, apart from the occasional impulse buy. Of the one's I've already reviewed I'd seriously recommend trying the following.
  • BossHiFi B3 - well made and very balanced sound
  • Ty Hi Z G3 - single driver dynamic with big soundstage

These 2 recommendations look really good, I don't suppose there's anything like them out there but with 2pin or mmcx cables?

Jul 23, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #10,218 of 33,689
ClintonL said:
Hey guys, looking for decent compact over ear headphones. Looking for ones will be light and comfy to wear lying down in bed. I can't wear IEM's in bed they just aren't comfortable. I've had the koss ones too but again not too comfortable looking for something with a band. Wouldn't mind some chi-fi if there's good options. Budget is 50 usd.
Cheers

Memt x5 because it's small and damn good
+1 Yea, the "upgraded" MEMT X5 are incredibly better now!:thumbsup:

Jul 23, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #10,219 of 33,689
A lot of people swear by the MEMT X5, and while they are detailed I find the sound entirely too midcentric.

Yeah I read B9scramblers review on it and it doesn't sound like the treble is too detailed. MEMT X5 are definitely off my list.

Hey guys, looking for decent compact over ear headphones. Looking for ones will be light and comfy to wear lying down in bed. I can't wear IEM's in bed they just aren't comfortable. I've had the koss ones too but again not too comfortable looking for something with a band. Wouldn't mind some chi-fi if there's good options. Budget is 50 usd.
Cheers

Memt x5 because it's small and damn good

For $25 I'd say the MEMT X5 isn't worth it. If you want a small but powerful IEM for dirt cheap I'd recommend getting the UiiSii HM7 instead. They are currently selling for around $5, that's right $5, and for that price you are getting some pretty good sound quality as I've read from audiobudget. Just bought one yesterday just because they are so damn cheap.

Bought it from here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/UiiSii-HM7-...var=471499431880&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #10,220 of 33,689
Yeah I read B9scramblers review on it and it doesn't sound like the treble is too detailed. MEMT X5 are definitely off my list.

For $25 I'd say the MEMT X5 isn't worth it. If you want a small but powerful IEM for dirt cheap I'd recommend getting the UiiSii HM7 instead. They are currently selling for around $5, that's right $5, and for that price you are getting some pretty good sound quality as I've read from audiobudget. Just bought one yesterday just because they are so damn cheap.

Bought it from here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/UiiSii-HM7-Metal-Earphone-In-ear-Super-Bass-Stereo-Headphones-with-Mic-for-Phone/172711050882?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=471499431880&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
You're encouraging people to disregard the X5 which you've never heard...and recommending the HM7 which you haven't heard. That kind of thing doesn't go down too well here.

And apparently you're not aware of the general consensus regarding the audiobudget site.

One more thing, I don't know why everybody seems to be overlooking this, "Hey guys, looking for decent compact over ear headphones."

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #10,221 of 33,689
If it's wooden you're after, Nymphonomaniac raves about the Mygeek wooden:
Also, lots of people swear by the BossHifi B3 (also wood). There's also the newer BossHifi B3S that is supposed to be an improved B3. The B3 and/or B3S is on my to buy list myself.

I also have 3 and 4 on your list, and they're nothing special. A lot of people swear by the MEMT X5, and while they are detailed I find the sound entirely too midcentric. They supposedly have a new version of the MEMT X5 that has improved sound, but I haven't heard them.
How can such a heavily V-shaped IEM like the X5 be midcentric?

Jul 24, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #10,222 of 33,689
Thank you for your replies guys. I am owner of KZ ZST and they have almost no bass against the pistons. I prefer also more piston's construction and type of cable. So for the same reasons I will not go for KZ ZS5.
I red, that Pro HD's bass is not a best one, they are more bright than bass.

I got through the audiobudget.com and I chose these ones to be potentially appropriate according to my requirements:
MEMT X5
Boarseman KR25D
EINSEAR T2
ColYue E1
VJJB K4S
Joyroom JR-E109/EM202
Usams Tenna (HSTL)

So I will probably get through the individual topics of these and choose one. Do you have some experiences with these ones?

Are you looking for something with skull-crushing basshead levels of bass? Then the Rock Zircon should be on your list for sure. The cable is relatively fragile, but if you are careful with it you won't have any problems with it. I have (2) sets of Zircons, and I've had zero cable problems.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #10,223 of 33,689
Are you looking for something with skull-crushing basshead levels of bass? Then the Rock Zircon should be on your list for sure. The cable is relatively fragile, but if you are careful with it you won't have any problems with it. I have (2) sets of Zircons, and I've had zero cable problems.
I love the large Zircon tips. Wish there were more that came in that size.

Jul 24, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #10,224 of 33,689
How can such a heavily V-shaped IEM like the X5 be midcentric?

Mine aren't heavily v-shaped, I wish they were. It's something that always bothered me about the X5 based on the rave reviews and description of the sound people gave them.

Mine are much lighter in bass than I was expecting - the mids dominate mine for sure. I tip rolled to try and see if I was missing something, and even played around with the size of the stock vent hole.

Maybe I got a bum pair, or maybe they're wired out of phase (I've never done the phase test on them now that I think about it). They do have massive driver flex in both drivers.

I don't know - they were a big disappointment, and have sat in a drawer collecting dust ever since.

Jul 24, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #10,225 of 33,689
Cheers

What kind of sound signature are you looking for?

Also, you could always get the Koss KSC75, ditch the earclips and attach the ear pieces to one of the cheapo dollar store "Walkman" type headbands (or for the younger generation that has no clue what a Walkman is, the "Guardians of the Galaxy" headphones).

Like this: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/s...ie-pics-56k-maybe.232714/page-14#post-7898951

The Parts Express is hard to get nowadays, but there's a number of similar ones for the same dirt cheap price that work the same. I've seen them on ebay, Amazon, Aliexpress, and in dollar stores.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #10,226 of 33,689
Mine aren't heavily v-shaped, I wish they were. It's something that always bothered me about the X5 based on the rave reviews and description of the sound people gave them.

Mine are much lighter in bass than I was expecting - the mids dominate mine for sure. I tip rolled to try and see if I was missing something, and even played around with the size of the stock vent hole.

Maybe I got a bum pair, or maybe they're wired out of phase (I've never done the phase test on them now that I think about it). They do have massive driver flex in both drivers.

I don't know - they were a big disappointment, and have sat in a drawer collecting dust ever since.
I found them to be lighter in bass than others too. Maybe QC was inconsistent in the earlier production runs.

Admittedly I use the yellow spinfits with mine as they give me the best fit and maybe that's why the sound is more V-shaped for me.

Jul 24, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #10,228 of 33,689
Memt X5 are v-shaped, lots of bass and treble lack a bit of mids.

Zircons are crap IMO, hollow + artificial, can't believe they're still being recommend regardless of bass levels - HM7, Moreblue DM8, Boarseman KR49i are all superior there's probably a lot of others if I put my mind to it.

Jul 24, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #10,229 of 33,689
Memt X5 are v-shaped, lots of bass and treble lack a bit of mids.

Zircons are crap IMO, hollow + artificial, can't believe they're still being recommend regardless of bass levels - HM7, Moreblue DM8, Boarseman KR49i are all superior there's probably a lot of others if I put my mind to it.

I'm sure they are supposed to be, but mine are not. Again, maybe mine have some QC issue. Maybe it's the tips I tried. Maybe when I played with the vent hole to try and get rid of the driver flex (in both sides) the tuning changed too much. Don't know and don't care. I wrote them off and chucked them in the drawer. Anyone who doesn't believe me, I'll be happy to send them so they could see for themselves.

Jul 24, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #10,230 of 33,689
I'm sure they are supposed to be, but mine are not. Again, maybe mine have some QC issue. Maybe it's the tips I tried. Maybe when I played with the vent hole to try and get rid of the driver flex (in both sides) the tuning changed too much. Don't know and don't care. I wrote them off and chucked them in the drawer. Anyone who doesn't believe me, I'll be happy to send them so they could see for themselves.

Wasn't a dig, just emphasising how I found them. I think it'll be the tips I bet with foamies they'll feel bassier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back