Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jul 20, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #10,156 of 33,689
So now that I've realized my errors with the ZS5 but now I'm wanting to snag another pair because dammit Chi-Fi is fun.

So I'm honestly not concerned about price, but I'm looking at something with the same kind of sig as the ZS5 because it pairs well with my LCD-X. In fact, whatever it costs, a chi-fi complement to the LCD-X would really make my day. Any ideas? That Super Ears 7-driver still has my attention but I'm not 100% on it yet.

Jul 20, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #10,157 of 33,689
So now that I've realized my errors with the ZS5 but now I'm wanting to snag another pair because dammit Chi-Fi is fun.

So I'm honestly not concerned about price, but I'm looking at something with the same kind of sig as the ZS5 because it pairs well with my LCD-X. In fact, whatever it costs, a chi-fi complement to the LCD-X would really make my day. Any ideas? That Super Ears 7-driver still has my attention but I'm not 100% on it yet.

Have you checked @Vidal's site?

http://www.aproear.co.uk

Jul 20, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #10,158 of 33,689

I have! It's an amazing site. I love it. The ZS5 is their top rated, though, and I'm sure there has to be better stuff.

EDIT: Just to add, Vidal and I have argued, but I do not deny even slightly that he's got the best Chi-Fi review site out there. I got it bookmarked, and his opinion is, honestly, basically the Tyll of Chi-Fi. Meaning I take it very much to heart! I just wonder what might be out there that Vidal hasn't gotten his hands on yet.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #10,159 of 33,689
After spending about a week going through the various threads and reviews, the "simple" task of identifying a chinese-made iem/earbud that suits my preferences seems to be a futile task. That said, I'm going with this hail-mary pass and hope such an iem/earbud exists. I'm hoping to find one with, in order of importance, replaceable cables (through 3rd party mods if necessary), with good detail retrieval, great mids, and (hopefully) decent bass and treble extensions. I'm not sure if I'm giving specs for a unicorn or a >$1k iem, but here's to hoping something fits.

Jul 21, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #10,161 of 33,689
EDIT: Just to add, Vidal and I have argued, but I do not deny even slightly that he's got the best Chi-Fi review site out there. I got it bookmarked, and his opinion is, honestly, basically the Tyll of Chi-Fi. Meaning I take it very much to heart! I just wonder what might be out there that Vidal hasn't gotten his hands on yet.

Thanks for the feedback, I am still looking for the next ChiFi gem. Could be that one of the other top earphones I've reviewed suit you more than the ZS5 or that the ideal model is in the next price bracket up. As I pay for my own earphones I've shied away from $40 upwards, apart from the occasional impulse buy. Of the one's I've already reviewed I'd seriously recommend trying the following.
  • BossHiFi B3 - well made and very balanced sound
  • Ty Hi Z G3 - single driver dynamic with big soundstage

Jul 21, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #10,162 of 33,689
New budget hybrid? Looks pretty sweet for $22.

HTB1D39VSpXXXXb5XXXXq6xXFXXXY.jpg

Jul 21, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #10,165 of 33,689
Jul 21, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #10,167 of 33,689
Just received both my KZ ZST and ZS5 Bluetooth cables and I must say I'm pretty impressed with both of them for the price of $7.65 each from Ali Express. I received the newer version with Bluetooth 4.2 and APTX support. I haven't tested the full battery life yet but I'm happy with the sound quality at this price. I hope KZ continue to innovate on their products. They're definitely kicking some ass now :ksc75smile:

I also purchased the KZ gold cable but didn't notice any change in sound quality from the stock nor silver cable. Save your money and use the stock cable and buy the KZ Bluetooth cables instead.

Jul 21, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #10,170 of 33,689

Users who are viewing this thread

Back